Sean Ervine joins Derbyshire

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Sean Ervine joins Derbyshire

Post by sloandog »

Ervine's career at Hampshire has seriously been nothing short of amazing, and he's got to go down as one of our greatest losses next to Graeme Hick

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Googly wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:54 am
Quite a few guys seem to have a slightly ignominious departure from professional cricket. A guy of his ability and longevity should be able to leave on his own terms.
I’ve seen quite a few chaps who’ve played for a decade or more get dropped to twos as part of the first salvo of “we’re about to cut you loose,” which is pretty harsh.
This is a cut-throat business and if you don’t perform for a few games the pressure is real, not nice.
I think the reason is because of this new professional era with big money that players milk out everything from their career they can.
The counter argument would be Ervine could have retired on his terms at age 34 rather than go on to 36 when his form has dipped. Teams need to make harsh decisions more now so young players can get a look in and build for the future.
Although I do somewhat agree that once you are 35+ a bad trot is automatically seen as ‘he’s past it and lost his edge’ rather than ‘he’s out of form’ as what happens to every player in their 20s.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Googly

Post by Googly »

A proven batter on the wane at 36 vs a young up and coming guy is such a tough decision. Imagine being County selector and you know that cutting loose an older player turns his life upside down, that can’t be nice.
There’s no doubt there’s a trend towards younger players, they’re becoming better and better earlier and earlier because so many countries have good systems in place. England and India in particular have a production line of fantastic young cricketers.
I’m pretty sure with the series gone we’ll see Privthi Shaw in the Indian line-up for the next test. Gill is a better player in my opinion, but nonetheless it will be great to have a look at him.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Googly wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:14 am
A proven batter on the wane at 36 vs a young up and coming guy is such a tough decision. Imagine being County selector and you know that cutting loose an older player turns his life upside down, that can’t be nice.
I actually dont think they care as much as you think, I am always around people that are cutting and chopping and changing guys who do it all to get 'goals aligned' and this or that.

Mentality would no doubt be 'youve had a good run, lets afford a young guy the same opportunity' and with good man management in sport it often doesnt come from nowhere, they are kept in the loop and are managed out. Like Ervine was probably told to go into his current contract wit the mindset that this would be his last contract unless something happens. That doesnt sound too bad when thats something thats two years away, and he would know that if he plays really good someone else will take him. Also starts a disconnect process mentally. Another example in a Zim context is if we told Hammy that the 2019 WC campaign would be his last I dont think that will cut him up too hard today. ZC dont think that smartly though. They will just stop paying him till he f*cks off on his own accord.

i think it gets a bit harder when we are talking about a genuine legend of the game. Putting the bullet into Tendulkar for instance would have been very tough with the Indian public. That even turns into death threats etc
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*