Utseya Resigns - Elton Chigumbura New Captain

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Utseya Resigns - Elton Chigumbura New Captain

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

eugene wrote:I hope that means he is no longer guaranteed a place in the team also.
That is indeed the case, but I think his place in the national side as a bowler in limited overs format has never been in question. He might have had a couple of brief spells in his carrer where his confidence was a bit low, but otherwise, he has held his own in terms of containing the runs.

What this releasing of captaincy burden can do, from a positive point of view, is that he can go back and concentrate more on developing more variations in his armory, by which he can become relevant when we get to play tests as well. When Ray Price gets to the end of his career, we would definitely need a guy who has enormous experience at the highest level to be available for all forms of the game, and hopefully, Utseya can make the cut by improving all aspects of his game even further...

bayhaus

Post by bayhaus »

So long Prosper, and thank you. But We dont need Elton to be pressured by captainancy. Bowler captain is not a good combination that is ewhy the best sides dont burden their bowelers with captainancy. So ZC take Prospers lead and do it for your country mfwethu and put Taibu as the captain.
POVOAfrika = Arts + Culture + Sustainability
Follow on Twitter
My Blog

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Enock Muchinjo's article on the subject: http://www.theindependent.co.zw/sport/2 ... ories.html

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:Enock Muchinjo's article on the subject: http://www.theindependent.co.zw/sport/2 ... ories.html
Interesting article.One because i never knew Terry Duffin was a chain smoker, and two, I've only just realised how great Prosper Utsea has been to Zimbabwean Cricket over the past 4 years. He deserves a lot of credit, for his actions both on and off the field. I hope he does indeed stay in our side, though i doubt it with such talent around now

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Another conspiracy theory: Why Chigumbura ahead of Masakadza? : http://www.thezimbabwean.co.uk/index.ph ... &Itemid=35

It seems someone is saying that the ZC operators want to see Chiggs fail and bring some "Greg Lamp" as skipper soon. :)
“El-T (Chigumbura) is a performer not a leader; he has already got a lot on his hands. He is one of the players expected to deliver in each game, soon he will be playing County Cricket in England and he is given another task on top of that. Why would they appoint him ahead of Hamy (Masakadza) who has been vice captain for almost four years now?” he questioned.
He suspected the move to have been made by some to demote Chigumbura as a failure soon to replace him with Lamp.

Conant
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Conant »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:Another conspiracy theory: Why Chigumbura ahead of Masakadza? : http://www.thezimbabwean.co.uk/index.ph ... &Itemid=35

It seems someone is saying that the ZC operators want to see Chiggs fail and bring some "Greg Lamp" as skipper soon. :)
“El-T (Chigumbura) is a performer not a leader; he has already got a lot on his hands. He is one of the players expected to deliver in each game, soon he will be playing County Cricket in England and he is given another task on top of that. Why would they appoint him ahead of Hamy (Masakadza) who has been vice captain for almost four years now?” he questioned.
He suspected the move to have been made by some to demote Chigumbura as a failure soon to replace him with Lamp.
I must say the logic in that whole article is very thin, and should be dismissed with the contempt it derseves

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Conant wrote:
CrimsonAvenger wrote:Another conspiracy theory: Why Chigumbura ahead of Masakadza? : http://www.thezimbabwean.co.uk/index.ph ... &Itemid=35

I must say the logic in that whole article is very thin, and should be dismissed with the contempt it derseves
Ya i agree, i had no idea we had a Greg Lamp :lol:

zimsupporter

Post by zimsupporter »

Prosper was a poor leader...Look at him no charm, no exuberance and he wasn't a motivator for sure...You need to have charismatic leader in your team look at Greame Smith he was young when he captained the side and he has had a huge success since then....Brain Murphy, Terry Duffin,Hammie and Prosper they cant just be captain as they dont have the factor thats need to be in the captain.......Prosper is a good bowler in odi but I will prefer Cremer, Price and Lamb before him..He should be kept in our reserves and made work hard to get into 11...For now Chiggs is fine, I have a gut feeling that he would perform well when he is captaining the side...Happy face, athlete, powerful hitter and good bowler, so I prefer he would be a good captain for while...Taibu can be a good captain, but he seems to have issues with the board..so its good to keep him out of captaincy....I think Ray Price or Blignaut would be good captain...Price is experience, senior player, understands the game, good bowler and the best part is he is aggressive and goes after the batsmen...I am sure most players respect him and are scared with him..He will be a good leader as young boys will respect and follow him like STreaky's era...

bigdoggpitbull

Post by bigdoggpitbull »

im against chigs as captain..he has always been the quiet guy..i think taibu or price would hav been a better choice..chigs is in the form of his life..lets not spoil this..

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Ray Price should have been captain, but lets not dwell on what could have been. We need to give Chiggs all the support we can give him, he's got a big task on his hands :lol: