Best 3 All-rounder in Zimbabwe cricket

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Mueddie28

Best 3 All-rounder in Zimbabwe cricket

Post by Mueddie28 »

Guy Whittall
Neil Jonhson
Sean William
Andy Blignaut ( spell check my bad)
Raza
Heath Streak
Chigumbura
At least back it with numbers

Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Best 3 All-rounder in Zimbabwe cricket

Post by Black Mamba »

Kevin Curran
Ali Omarshah
Neil Johnson

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Neil Johnson was probably the most rounded all-rounder we've produced to my memory, and had he not been injured with his left knee I reckon he would have taken miles more wickets. His batting looked brilliant and of the footage I've seen he looked a more than handy bowler. I've heard he was an excellent fielder too?

Kevin Curran and Duncan Fletcher have to be considered as well. Just because they played so little international cricket doesn't mean they should be discounted. Fletcher I've heard was a very good batter and Curran a man of real tenacity; you can see that in his lads.

Streak needs to be mentioned as one our greatest, by far. He's easily our best fast bowler (followed closely by Brandes and Rawson) and as his career went on he developed into a genuine all rounder who could tonk it towards the end of an innings.

Blignaut was a solid allrounder, but his stats didn't really illustrate this. He bowled fast and hit the ball hard and scored a number of handy 50's both in tests and ODI's, but can't be classed as our greatest. Marrilliar should be considered one of our most talented allrounders, alongside Sean Ervine and Travis Friend, but they didn't play enough.

In conclusion, Neil Johnson, Duncan Fletcher and Heath Streak are my 3, with Kevin Curran closely following

Googly

Post by Googly »

Grant Flower has to fit in there somewhere.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

I always thought he was a gun in the first half of his career, and then he became an ok player in the second half.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Probably not in the top 3, but for all the criticism leveled at him in recent years, Chigumbura was a pretty good allrounder earlier in his career.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

grant

Post by grant »

eugene wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:35 pm
Probably not in the top 3, but for all the criticism leveled at him in recent years, Chigumbura was a pretty good allrounder earlier in his career.
I feel he massively underachieved given the talent he had.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

For me its Heath Streak. Highest ODI wicket taker. 10th best ODI average. He even has a slightly better average than Hami(although it is helped by 55 not out scores).

Its a shame Raza and Williams started bowling later in their careers. I believe they would have been up there. Both have at taken at least 50 wickets in ODIs. Only 19 Zimbabweans have done so

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Streak WOULD have been our best if he had 2 more years at the top, before the rebel bruhaha.

His bowling needs no introduction, being our best paceman since God was a boy, but his batting was coming along in leaps and bounds towards the end of his career.

He started his career as a genuine 10/11 but had risen to a 6 at the end and was probably our most calm and dependable at the end. He would have ended up in the early thirties and a couple more centuries to his name.
Given that hes our best bowler, he would have to be in the top 3 if his batting was anything near good.

Johnson is probably our proven best, but he was only around for a year or two, sample size is small.

Sean Ervine is another that needs love. Hes Strwak-like in the way he became a genuine top 6 batsman after coming in as an initial number 9 bits and pieces player like Marillier.

Streak/Johnson and probably Curran (before my memory).
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Jemisi