What's Raza status

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: What's Raza status

Post by Googly »

I see ZC have come out guns blazing about Raza’s tweet.

Googly

Post by Googly »

This was forwarded to me

RESPONSE TO RAZA’S SOCIAL MEDIA POSTS

Zimbabwe Cricket (ZC) has seen social media posts by Sikandar Raza Butt regarding ZC’s decision not to offer him a new contract.

As a matter of policy, we do not discuss employee issues in the media beyond making the necessary announcements. But when one deliberately misleads the unsuspecting public or makes patently false allegations that seek to tarnish the image of ZC and bring the game of cricket into disrepute, we unfortunately have to deviate from the norm.

For the record, we can confirm that Raza was not among the players offered new central contracts. This decision was made solely by ZC’s Contracts Committee and not by the Acting Managing Director, Mr Givemore Makoni, as Raza alleges in his posts.

However, what Mr Makoni has done in the past – and Raza knows this – was to help Raza’s career by having him play for Southern Rocks which Mr Makoni was managing while he also supported Raza’s move to get Zimbabwean citizenship.

Raza also knows what he did resulted in him not getting a new ZC contract. Normally, contracts are a confidential matter between employer and employee, but because Raza has gone public we are also having to respond publicly.

First, Raza had contract with ZC which he brazenly flouted by going to play club cricket in England without first obtaining a no-objection certificate (NOC) from ZC as is the standard practice in the professional game worldwide.

Secondly, when he did apply for an NOC which was turned down because Zimbabwe needed his services, Raza subsequently and unilaterally terminated his running contract with ZC so he could he play in a domestic tournament in Canada.

When considering who to offer a contract, the Contracts Committee does not only look at an individual player’s statistics, fitness and performances, but also one’s attitude, discipline and commitment not only to ZC but more importantly to Zimbabwe.

Unfortunately, Raza did not tick all the boxes and so the Contracts Committee decided he was not deserving of a contract this time round. The available contracts were awarded to other players who have consistently shown their professionalism and desire to represent their country.

That said, players without central contracts – and Raza is now one of them – are always considered for national duty at the discretion of the National Selection Panel that also looks at several factors before picking a player.

Raza is aware of what is now to him inconvenient but still truths. However, instead of engaging ZC over his concerns as was suggested to him by the National Teams Manager, he opts to create a storm in a teacup by mounting a social media publicity stunt meant to portray ZC, its board, management and staff in bad light.

It is unfortunate that this sideshow is coming at a time when the International Cricket Council and ZC are finalising a plan not only designed to return ZC to financial and cricket health, but more importantly one that also embraces all cricket lovers, including players, fans, families and communities.

While we understand Raza’s disappointment at not getting a new central contract, we wish to remind him that ZC as the custodian of the national game of cricket in Zimbabwe has the prerogative to make decisions to take the sport forward.

One of those cannot be to give a central contract to the same player who unilaterally and insolently terminated his old one.

Googly

Post by Googly »

“ZC have to make decisions to take the sport forward!”

Well let’s see how this decision takes our sport forward.
It smacks of the Kevin Petersen affair. If you’ve got a bit of a prima Donna or, as in Raza’s case, a guy with quite a few options, how hard is it to thrash out a deal?
What they’re not used to is being answered back because there’s this headmaster/pupil relationship that all these chefs are used to and it’s nit like we’ve got 10 Raza’s waiting in the wings. Absolute bunch of idiots.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Is this not what Raza wanted though? To play in t20 tournaments and the national team?. You cant play in t20 leagues and have a central contract. You cant have it both ways.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ya I can’t answer that. Big teams release some of their players to play in one or two. How hard would it be to negotiate something like that? Or perhaps negotiate a higher match fee in lieu of a central contract.
Anyway I’m sure it’s not completely dead yet and hopefully they will reach some sort of compromise.
No one is really irreplaceable, but in a Zim context there’s a couple of guys that are, BT is one and Raza is thereabouts, and in my opinion so is Blessing.

Googly

Post by Googly »

And the bottom line is if you’re going to adopt a hard line stance make sure your own house is in order. ZC have let everyone down ad nauseum. It will never end either. We just wait for the next drama.

kudet
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by kudet »

zimbabwe cricket is surely in the intensive care unit, yes raza might have violated his earlier contractual obligations but man, there are so many ways this impasse could have been dealt with, not forgetting the fact that the recent or little success that the chevrons have had on the field is largely owed to him. he is more patriotic more than those top chefs who just line their pockets. i have no kind words for givemore makoni, i fail to understand what they see in him when all he has done is to be part and parcel of the decline/fall of ZC. i really hope kirsty can intervene to put an end to this. this is an absolute ridicule!

Googly

Post by Googly »

Well his post is supposedly “acting” MD, so let’s see him get replaced by somebody meaningful in the next few days. When we’re under ICC management how did they agree to this in the first place? I think the Board slid this under their noses when they blinked.
I’d like to see them advertise for the post. It would be interesting to see who popped out of the woodwork.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Childish response from Makoni, this reeks of his writing style.
Just unprofessional in the way it’s structured. Like a child’s response.

I learnt two things;

1. Because ZC got Raza a gig and helped with Zimbabwean citizenship back in 2011 or so, Raza should always be quiet and tow the line.

2. It’s ok to not pay players, but not ok for those players to seek work whilst not being paid.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:26 pm
Childish response from Makoni, this reeks of his writing style.
Just unprofessional in the way it’s structured. Like a child’s response.

I learnt two things;

1. Because ZC got Raza a gig and helped with Zimbabwean citizenship back in 2011 or so, Raza should always be quiet and tow the line.

2. It’s ok to not pay players, but not ok for those players to seek work whilst not being paid.
Raza hurt his chances by sitting out of those tours IMO. Yes payment is an issue, but its always been the case. Players should either committ fully to the team or if they dislike the board so much, just quit altogether.

These mini strikes achieve nothing especially given the players do it every 6 months.

Now if Raza really asked for an NOC and was denied one its a different story. All the more reason to just leave ZC cold turkey.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)