Test, ODI & T20i Squads for SA & Bangladesh Announced

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC

Re: Test, ODI & T20i Squads for SA & Bangladesh Announced

Post by TapsC »

Looking at these lineups i'm realizing the importance of Chatara and Jarvis. I have been thinking about Chatara's pace and fitness for a while now. Its been over 2 years since he came back from that injury. He is only 27. Is his lack of pace these days not a mental thing? Surely if he works on it now he could at least get up to 137/138kph.

I have never broken a leg so I dont know what it does to you mentally. This is why im curious. I dont think he has even played a test match ever since. With Blessing gone we need him.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Any leg injury as a bowler is incredibly hard to over come mentally. When I did my 4 in 1 injury, I never boweled again as I was terrified the knee would give way. He's done incredibly well to get back on the pitch, but I agree, his pace has dropped alarmingly and that bite he had up to the 2015 CWC seems to have evaporated slightly.

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

It's yet another area where a sports psychologist/mental coach could be invaluable; not necessarily in an official capacity with the team because as a player you need 100 % confidence in the guy you are working with (and no doubts whether he'll later take what he hears to the management). But of course that sort of advice is a) probably not available in Zim, and b) not affordable for guys like Chatara--not that I ever heard our once in a while foreign-based and financially better-equipped pros like BT ever turning to such advice.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

I think our seamers get a raw end of the deal because they’re never playing on pitches that suit them. We either play in Sharjah or Bangladesh when touring with one off tours of the Caribbean & Sri Lanka. Or they’re bowling on slow low decks in Zimbabwe.

When we played the Boxing Day Test Mpofu actually looked dangerous and although I didn’t see any of the Afghanistan tour to Zimbabwe in 2017 from reports the pitches had something in it for the seamers and Chatara, Mpofu & Ngarava all did well.

Chatara looked good in the World Cup because the pitches had bounce and pace, I’m sure if he bowled again in Australia he’d get it going over 135-140 clicks.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Flakeman

Post by Flakeman »

A real shame what happened to Chats. He had that nagging accuracy as well as Good pace. I’ll never forget when he got De Kock at the WC, the ball was 144.6 or so. He was a machine. Needs to back himself.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Was Chats consistently that quick? I recall both Chatara and Jarvis as 135 k bowlers who bowled the odd ball around 140 (Chats did hit 145 with some degree of regularity).

Jarvis actually has a lot more control now. Before his return he was always a bit erratic which made a very poor white ball bowler. But since he came back from Lancs his white ball game has improved leaps and bounds from what I have seen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

The best I've seen Larry bowl was either in the 2nd Innings of the 2nd Test v Pakistan in 2013 when he took 5 and led us to our LAST ever Test victory or at the 2015 WC against Pakistan at the Gabba where he enjoyed the pace and bounce from the pitch.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Im sure the mental factor plays a part but its largely physical.

When we are talking of pace bowling at 135+ we are talking about the elite of the elite and fastest of the fastest. Bowling involves joint twisting and elite fitness and just a small legacy of an injury will drag a significant amount of pace/edge of a bowler in terms of elite performance as the effect will be magnified due to the level he plays at.

This is why fast bowlers retire in their early thirties and footballers all retire 29-34 usually. The build up of injuries impede speed and performance.

Chatara at this stage would have a 35 yr olds body in cricket terms due to this accident. Its a weird injury to get for a cricketer.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

To be honest Chatara has done well to come back from his injury as much as he has. It really could have been career-ending stuff.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

I hope he can do better. I hope he hasn't already reached his post-injury peak.