Test, ODI & T20i Squads for SA & Bangladesh Announced

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Test, ODI & T20i Squads for SA & Bangladesh Announced

Post by jaybro »

Jemisi wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:23 am
They can always stick him in. No one holds them to anything anyway.
This is true
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

It is heartening to see Tari making some consistent runs. Hopefully he can put up some hundreds this season if we manage to organize one.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Tari certainly has a lot of ability. If he could get in a season of 30-50 games he’d figure out his game a lot better. He plays too many shots, even in the 50 over stuff. But damn he’s good. For Murray to not really pick up a bat and reel off a couple of good innings speaks volumes of his talent as well. When this young man decides to practice every day he’s going to do very well.
Just a gentle reminder that he didn’t get picked as keeper on a few occasions at age group because our geniuses said he was too tall and that we had better keepers :lol: :lol:
Ya these selections are really bizarre, they don’t engender much confidence in the selectors, not that any of us ever had any.
But they can certainly change it around, it’s not set in stone.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Jemisi wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:48 am
It is heartening to see Tari making some consistent runs. Hopefully he can put up some hundreds this season if we manage to organize one.
This has always been my biggest gripe with Tari along with his habit of hitting the ball through the air too much.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

A good coach and consistent gametime will fix Tari's issues. Funny thing is he rotates the strike so effortlessly that he actually doesnt need to be super aggresive at all. He could score big if he just continued to rotate the strike but he tries something extraordinary every 20 or so deliveries

The squad selection will definitely change over time. If Kamunhukamwe was struggling against district sides then he wont stand a chance against the real proteas lineup. Got a feeling they will push for Tari to take his place. Dont be surprised to see Raza mysteriously popping up at some point

Googly

Post by Googly »

The minister needs to look at how many times ZC have reneged on their end of these contracts, how many times they’ve failed to pay, failed to start seasons on time, finish them at all, cancel games etc etc and then weigh that up against Raza’s misdemeanors.
We’ve got two batsmen that have made runs in this T20 tournament, it does not bode well. There should be a number of them feasting at this level. How are these guys going to cope at a higher level. In cricketing terms it doesn’t get much easier than this, expect if we play Uganda and Kenya.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

TapsC wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:35 am
A good coach and consistent gametime will fix Tari's issues. Funny thing is he rotates the strike so effortlessly that he actually doesnt need to be super aggresive at all. He could score big if he just continued to rotate the strike but he tries something extraordinary every 20 or so deliveries

The squad selection will definitely change over time. If Kamunhukamwe was struggling against district sides then he wont stand a chance against the real proteas lineup. Got a feeling they will push for Tari to take his place. Dont be surprised to see Raza mysteriously popping up at some point
Good analysis of Tari’s Game there TapsC, did you get a chance to watch any of his innings’ from those links?

His 30 odd not out he looked a bit loose but his 50 odd not out in the final game was a really good innings, he kept the ball on the ground and only really went in the air when he hit a 6.

The more time he spends in the middle the better, it really would be good if our domestic season was longer. These guys really need to be playing minimum 50 innings per year.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:43 am

The more time he spends in the middle the better, it really would be good if our domestic season was longer. These guys really need to be playing minimum 50 innings per year.
50 innings combined domestic + international or just domestic?

50 is probably the length of an English county season (all 3 formats) so thats unrealistically ambitous. Plus unless its the County Championships, Ranji Trophy, Sheffield Shield, or SA's league the quality probably isn't good enough unless a player is absolutely dominating. For example guys like BT, Ervine, Raza absolutely shred Logan Cup bowlers which is why they get big runs in actual Test cricket. Averaging 40 or even 50 at Logan Cup level won't guarantee that level of success in Tests, IMO. Of course rare exceptions exist.

Tari has some serious skills. Just needs to work on his shot selection. Its more mental than anything else.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

jaybro wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:43 am
TapsC wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:35 am

Good analysis of Tari’s Game there TapsC, did you get a chance to watch any of his innings’ from those links?

His 30 odd not out he looked a bit loose but his 50 odd not out in the final game was a really good innings, he kept the ball on the ground and only really went in the air when he hit a 6.

Yes I did watch. That stump to stump perspective is actually interesting because you really get a look at a player's technique and how they setup.

Kamunhukamwe looked a bit like Vusi. Mutombodzi's short stay reminded me a bit of Elton with the way he was setting himself up. Tari and Murray were comfortable. Tari's technique was very interesting but im really worried that he cant stop a 150kph yorker with the way he sets up

There were no demons whatsoever. I dont know why the other guys were struggling.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:03 pm

50 innings combined domestic + international or just domestic?

50 is probably the length of an English county season (all 3 formats) so thats unrealistically ambitous. Plus unless its the County Championships, Ranji Trophy, Sheffield Shield, or SA's league the quality probably isn't good enough unless a player is absolutely dominating. For example guys like BT, Ervine, Raza absolutely shred Logan Cup bowlers which is why they get big runs in actual Test cricket. Averaging 40 or even 50 at Logan Cup level won't guarantee that level of success in Tests, IMO. Of course rare exceptions exist.

Tari has some serious skills. Just needs to work on his shot selection. Its more mental than anything else.
50 innings in any format at any level

6 Tests = 12 Innings

10 First Class games = 20 Innings

12 ODIs = 12 Innings

10 List A = 10 Innings

That's not even counting International t20 matches or domestic t20 matches

Obviously Logan Cup cricket isn't that high a standard but you have to make do with what you've got