Some insights into Muzarabani Kolpak deal

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Some insights into Muzarabani Kolpak deal

Post by eugene »

I wouldn't mind betting that Taibu is getting paid some sort of pimp fee to parade our young talent around English clubs. Why not take the Rising Stars to South Africa? Why England? Most of these young black kids probably thought a free meal at KFC was the best a cricketer could do, now they have seen the real world and want nothing to do with Zimbabwe.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

The real disturbing point is they were left there for such a significant period of time. Plenty of time to get used to local comforts.

That is the difference between the RS and a short schoolboys tour. Can’t blame the players but ZC just let themselves get buttfucked.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

NickG

Post by NickG »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:58 am
NickG wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:20 pm
jaybro wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:46 pm

That's the thing we don't know the full details so I find it harsh Blessing is being called every name under the sun.

And again I wouldn't blame him for wanting to leave Zimbabwe for good, the country is a mess sadly with no sign of change.
You're right you can't blame him. And to suggest, as Zimdoggy has, that it is in some way the fault of Rising Stars that Blessing chose this route is utter nonsense. As I alluded to in the article and elsewhere, the state of ZC has brought this on - they are in a mess and he wanted out.

Trying to develop the next generation of Zimbabwe cricketers and then being castigated/blamed for players wishing to leave a corrupt and mismanaged system is something I could quite frankly do without. Tell you what, we'll just do nothing next time and let Zimbabwe cricket continue its slide into the mire...
Nick I like you, but you are quite frankly very wrong and naive on this topic.

This was a strategic error on ZC's account. No doubt about it. From ZC's perspective. How can you even say otherwise when its been proven with Blessing?
This is like a broke guy letting his hot girlfriend, whom he just had an argument with, stay at Channing Tatums holiday house for the weekend with him to gain acting/hollywood experience, then acting surprised when you found out she sucked him off after a few wines.
WTF you/ZC think was going to happen if any of the stars showed promise?

You took kids, coming from the third world, into a first world environment for however many months and expected NONE of the below to happen.

-For players to forge relationships with local clubs/counties
-Talented players to not be scouted by other player agents
-Players to not develop a relationship with a local girl
-Players to not find local employment paying more than they ever could in Zim (I admit this ones a stretch.
-Players to happily go back and say 'thanks for the trip' into their meagre existence.

All this, under the guidance of a role model who left Zimbabwe for this very same country.
Taibu's always been one to lead by example.

This is the game of life, the chess pieces have been moved and you and ZC havent seen the danger. These are kids with nothing to lose, they arent established like BT, nor have the options. This was always closer to a situation like the African olympians jumping the village every 4 years.

Not to mention;
Rising Stars played and developed in English conditions. Zimbabwe do not play in England.
You could say the RS played in Britain to play during the off season, but lets be honest, Taibu just wanted to run it from where he lived.

What should have happened?

RS tour India and Sri Lanka, learn to play spin and develop in hostile conditions. Cheaper overheads too.
What's wrong with that?
What's wrong with that?
What's wrong with that?
-Players to not find local employment paying more than they ever could in Zim (I admit this ones a stretch.
They couldn't have done that due to visa restrictions and would have been deported. Besides they were training and playing every day.
-Players to happily go back and say 'thanks for the trip' into their meagre existence.
What makes you think they had a meagre existence? I know all the players and to group them together in some sort of poverty bracket is very, very disturbing and shows your complete ignorance regarding the players in question.

I also don't agree with your crude allegory. If any of the Rising Stars showed promise, as they did, then the following things can happen:
They get noticed by the national selectors and picked for the A side or full national side, which has happened and is good.
They get offers to come back and play club cricket in the UK during the off season, which has happened and is good.
They get scouted by counties and approached by agents, and get playing opportunities that they wouldn't otherwise have had, which is good. Only bad if the agent in question persuades them to take a Kolpak deal, which is bad for Zimbabwe Cricket, like it was when BT took his deal.

India was originally also part of the RS tour but ZC pulled it because it was too expensive - yes that's right, it was more than the UK. So can we please stop saying UK is/was too expensive? The tour was done on a shoestring. I know, I've seen the accounts.

Look you will never see my point of view. I've stated many times - I know how much the tour cost, I know the players, I know what happened. One guy who could have taken an overseas county deal took a Kolpak. I know why that happened too - but because it did does not mean that the project was 'doomed'. Like I said, we'll just sit back and do nothing instead hey...

Happy for you guys to keep discussing amongst yourselves and reaching the same happy conclusion that the Rising Stars was in some way to blame for Blessing's sad departure from Zimbabwe national side. But you're absolutely miles off off the mark.

And reading other depressing comments about Taibu receiving money (I'm sure his lawyers would be interested in that one - a categorically false accusation) black kids and KFC, which are borderline racist, makes me think I'm on the wrong forum...

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

I still think it was Blessing’s performances for the national side that in the end secured him his deal.

Using Zimdoggy’s theory Zimbabwe should never send any side of any level to England in case the players fall in love with the country or a county side falls in love with them.

In the end if the day any good player from Zimbabwe will gain the attention of the county scouts.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

NickG wrote:
utter nonsense
Absolutely.

And I totally agree with Jaybro.

The way Zimdoggy goes on about this (apart from the obvious "I told you so, and I am, as always, the only intelligent bloke on the forum" blah-blah) I can't help thinking that in his eyes this has everything to do with Blessing's circumstances and background and little with the RS. Why is it somehow more okay for black kids to slave to the system than for white kids (not to mention grown-up international players), who constantly leave for pastures greener without the Dogg barking up that particular tree (scholarships, Kolpaks et al.) with the same amount of venom?

You don't need to be a genius or a long tour to realize that life in Zim compares not too favourably with first world countries.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

foreignfield wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:25 am
NickG wrote:
utter nonsense
Absolutely.

And I totally agree with Jaybro.

The way Zimdoggy goes on about this (apart from the obvious "I told you so, and I am, as always, the only intelligent bloke on the forum" blah-blah) I can't help thinking that in his eyes this has everything to do with Blessing's circumstances and background and little with the RS. Why is it somehow more okay for black kids to slave to the system than for white kids (not to mention grown-up international players), who constantly leave for pastures greener without the Dogg barking up that particular tree (scholarships, Kolpaks et al.) with the same amount of venom?

You don't need to be a genius or a long tour to realize that life in Zim compares not too favourably with first world countries.
I’ll get back to NickG in a sec. This above^ you’ve got to be f*cking kidding me. If this message is a troll attempt it’s a good one because I’ve bit.

‘It’s ok for black kids to be a slave to the system’ Do I need to dig up the very recent statements I made literally slamming Blessing.....FOR NOT STANDING UP for his black brethren and letting the white guys do all the protesting, or the thousands of other posts where I indeed have had a go at the black cricketers for being enslaved to ZC. I’ve been one of the more critical and vocal about the blacks in the system accepting the slosh ZC dig up about them. It’s embarrassing.Moreover, I’ve been possibly THE most scathing of the Kolpak system in general. I can’t think of another poster on this forum who has attacked Kolpak like I have. You yourself even asked me in the last post I made on the topic why it was so bad. Fuck me dead.

You’re usually somewhat observant but fucccccck you’ve dropped the ball hard on this one.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

jaybro wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:44 am
Using Zimdoggy’s theory Zimbabwe should never send any side of any level to England in case the players fall in love with the country or a county side falls in love with them.
BIG key difference that I mentioned before. See the schoolboy tour comment.

The amount of time the Stars spent in England is a major factor. They were living there for close to a third of a year. That’s a lot of time to grow accustomed to British life and forge networking opportunities and working relationships. This article clearly states Blessing did just that.

And what good is gaining experience in English conditions if Zim are barred from playing in England. Very convenient thats where Taibu lives.
Last edited by ZIMDOGGY on Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

NickG wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:47 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
NickG wrote:

You're right you can't blame him. And to suggest, as Zimdoggy has, that it is in some way the fault of Rising Stars that Blessing chose this route is utter nonsense. As I alluded to in the article and elsewhere, the state of ZC has brought this on - they are in a mess and he wanted out.

Trying to develop the next generation of Zimbabwe cricketers and then being castigated/blamed for players wishing to leave a corrupt and mismanaged system is something I could quite frankly do without. Tell you what, we'll just do nothing next time and let Zimbabwe cricket continue its slide into the mire...

This was a strategic error on ZC's account. No doubt about it. From ZC's perspective. How can you even say otherwise when its been proven with Blessing?
This is like a broke guy letting his hot girlfriend, whom he just had an argument with, stay at Channing Tatums holiday house for the weekend with him to gain acting/hollywood experience, then acting surprised when you found out she sucked him off after a few wines.

You took kids, coming from the third world, into a first world environment for however many months and expected NONE of the below to happen.

All this, under the guidance of a role model who left Zimbabwe for this very same country.

This is the game of life, the chess pieces have been moved and you and ZC havent seen the danger. These are kids with nothing to lose, they arent established like BT, nor have the options. This was always closer to a situation like the African olympians jumping the village every 4 years.

Not to mention;
Rising Stars played and developed in English conditions. Zimbabwe do not play in England.
You could say the RS played in Britain to play during the off season, but lets be honest, Taibu just wanted to run it from where he lived.

RS tour India and Sri Lanka, learn to play spin and develop in hostile conditions. Cheaper overheads too.
What's wrong with that?
What's wrong with that?
What's wrong with that?
They couldn't have done that due to visa restrictions and would have been deported. Besides they were training and playing every day.
What makes you think they had a meagre existence? I know all the players and to group them together in some sort of poverty bracket is very, very disturbing and shows your complete ignorance regarding the players in question.

I also don't agree with your crude allegory. If any of the Rising Stars showed promise, as they did, then the following things can happen:
They get noticed by the national selectors and picked for the A side or full national side, which has happened and is good.
They get offers to come back and play club cricket in the UK during the off season, which has happened and is good.
They get scouted by counties and approached by agents, and get playing opportunities that they wouldn't otherwise have had, which is good. Only bad if the agent in question persuades them to take a Kolpak deal, which is bad for Zimbabwe Cricket, like it was when BT took his deal.

India was originally also part of the RS tour but ZC pulled it because it was too expensive - yes that's right, it was more than the UK. So can we please stop saying UK is/was too expensive? The tour was done on a shoestring. I know, I've seen the accounts.

Look you will never see my point of view. I've stated many times - I know how much the tour cost, I know the players, I know what happened. One guy who could have taken an overseas county deal took a Kolpak. I know why that happened too - but because it did does not mean that the project was 'doomed'. Like I said, we'll just sit back and do nothing instead hey...

Happy for you guys to keep discussing amongst yourselves and reaching the same happy conclusion that the Rising Stars was in some way to blame for Blessing's sad departure from Zimbabwe national side. But you're absolutely miles off off the mark.

And reading other depressing comments about Taibu receiving money (I'm sure his lawyers would be interested in that one - a categorically false accusation) black kids and KFC, which are borderline racist, makes me think I'm on the wrong forum...
What's wrong with that?
It is contrary to ZC's interest to enable this. Zc's agenda is not to be a junior nursery for Britain.
What's wrong with that?
Did you like that Blessing stopped answering your calls? I didnt.
What's wrong with that?
It is contrary to ZC's interest to enable this. Zc's agenda is not to be a junior nursery for Britain. A partner Visa enables the easiest path to immigration.
This is true, however, I budgeted for the small possibility some players have completed degrees on the skills shortage list. I will give you that it was a long stretch from me this point.
Why did Blessing leave? "Cricket was an escape from poverty, and when Zimbabwe Cricket's financial problems threatened that escape he rushed into the safety of a Kolpak deal".
Great for Blessing, error from ZC.

And reading other depressing comments about Taibu receiving money (I'm sure his lawyers would be interested in that one - a categorically false accusation)
Eugene did not make a 'false accusation'. He said 'I wouldnt be surprised'. The lawyer comment is a cheapshot at a long term forum member, and is actually a threat in itself.

black kids and KFC, which are borderline racist, makes me think I'm on the wrong forum...
You made that link between fast food and race? No one else.

Its not miles of the mark because it happened. The Stars would be great if I was a player in that squad.
The point is just a very simple one, it was a tactical and strategic error on ZC's part. They didnt read the room.

The rhetoric is now changing, last year, Jimmylesaint, myself and a couple others predicted this. At the time the sentiment was 'the fears are unfounded because we have no one of quality', now its becoming more 'it was inevitable'. Why is it hard to admit this?

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Wow. A proper forum conflict that doesn't invlove the trolls.

My two cents...

We have lost Blessing for the moment. Would RS still be a worthwhile effort for the loss of one player? We tend to lose them all the time.

There is some truth to what the Dogg is saying in my view. Plenty of people desperate to leave and ready to see what the West has to offer. I know plenty of them.

On the other hand those guys had plenty of cricket put into them that they otherwise wouldn't, And my gut wants to agree with Nick G's rhetorical question. We can always do nothing. If India was more expensive then that is a key bit of info I wasn't aware of myself.

And I would heavily doubt foreignfield is trolling.

For my part, I feel tired. Not down about Zim so much as just tired. Not giving up but not seeing much on the horizon. I think BRMT asked in a thread what actual rock bottom looks like. I don't think anyone knows. Zim has been heading for catastrophe for ever and yet there always seems to be some undulation between small rebounds and predictable collapses. We'll likely see more of that pattern.

Hopefully someone can hold a bat next week. And go a bit easy on each other guys, you're all key to this place being worthwhile. Cheers.

NickG

Post by NickG »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:07 pm
NickG wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:47 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:

Not to mention;

What's wrong with that?
What's wrong with that?
What's wrong with that?

What's wrong with that?
It is contrary to ZC's interest to enable this. Zc's agenda is not to be a junior nursery for Britain.
What's wrong with that?
Did you like that Blessing stopped answering your calls? I didnt.
What's wrong with that?
It is contrary to ZC's interest to enable this. Zc's agenda is not to be a junior nursery for Britain. A partner Visa enables the easiest path to immigration.
This is true, however, I budgeted for the small possibility some players have completed degrees on the skills shortage list. I will give you that it was a long stretch from me this point.
Why did Blessing leave? "Cricket was an escape from poverty, and when Zimbabwe Cricket's financial problems threatened that escape he rushed into the safety of a Kolpak deal".
Great for Blessing, error from ZC.

And reading other depressing comments about Taibu receiving money (I'm sure his lawyers would be interested in that one - a categorically false accusation)
Eugene did not make a 'false accusation'. He said 'I wouldnt be surprised'. The lawyer comment is a cheapshot at a long term forum member, and is actually a threat in itself.

black kids and KFC, which are borderline racist, makes me think I'm on the wrong forum...
You made that link between fast food and race? No one else.

Its not miles of the mark because it happened. The Stars would be great if I was a player in that squad.
The point is just a very simple one, it was a tactical and strategic error on ZC's part. They didnt read the room.

The rhetoric is now changing, last year, Jimmylesaint, myself and a couple others predicted this. At the time the sentiment was 'the fears are unfounded because we have no one of quality', now its becoming more 'it was inevitable'. Why is it hard to admit this?
I can't really be bothered arguing all the inaccuracies above, simply don't have the time or inclination. But you clearly care and that's great.

To make it abundantly clear, the reason Blessing left Zimbabwe was due to the terrible state of cricket in Zimbabwe and a woeful, corrupt board who hadn't paid him a penny since his international debut. If you want to believe a groundbreaking academy was the catalyst then good for you.

I think I'm done here. I don't really like all the cloak and dagger of a forum environment. It's stifling and the written word is often misinterpreted.

I'll carry on caring and expressing my views where people know who you are and aren't hiding behind nom de plumes, good luck everyone...:)