Ryan Higgins!?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Ryan Higgins!?

Post by Googly »

If they offered Goodwin a job as batting coach on the condition he brings his kid? :lol:
These good’uns are where it’s at. You can’t make a race horse out of a donkey, no matter how hard you try or wish for it. International cricket these days is such that you need a dozen young Goodwins and maybe one will make it, and often it’s one with slightly less ability and more determination and belief, it’s such a mind game.

Googly

Post by Googly »

The lure of club cricket in England is strong and one of the main reasons is the number of games. Unless you’re in the Prem division the standard is not great. Raza plundering runs for Shelley CC is not difficult for any decent player. A lot of the clubs have an overseas or pay a really good local player who possibly hasn’t made it in County to come and play for them. It’s a duck shoot for these good players in the lower divisions, but doesn’t do much for their cricket.
If we played a full long season guys would be interested in playing here. You could keep the RS side going in our franchise and fill it with northern hemisphere players with a Zimbabwe connection. It would add big interest. Ed Byrom came here to play and I don’t think got through more than 4 or 5 games the whole season. That just puts guys off and he probably won’t want to do that again.
I’d like to see a RS side with Byrom, King, Matigimu, Evans, Snater, Welch, Shardendorff, Muyeye, Curran etc etc in it playing here in their off season. It would be a wake up call that people wouldn’t like.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Googly wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:23 am
https://www.newzimbabwe.com/ex-zim-cric ... australia/

He’s almost unique in that he’s a good leggie and a top order batsman. I believe he’s an exceptional talent.
Thanks!
JAYDEN Goodwin, the son of former Zimbabwe national cricket team has been named captain of Western Australia’s under-17s cricket team at next month’s 2018/19 Cricket Australia under-17 Championships in Queensland, Australia.

The 16-year-old leg-spinning all-rounder recently revealed his dream of captaining Australia rather than playing for Zimbabwe, like his dad.
Good luck to him.
Googly wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:44 am
International cricket these days is such that you need a dozen young Goodwins and maybe one will make it, and often it’s one with slightly less ability and more determination and belief, it’s such a mind game.
That's so true.

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

the length of our domestic season is disappointing, and the number of games in England is even far more than australia, Perth any way.

Goodwin junior is coming up to Perth I believe from the country to play in the grade competition which should be a slight step up from country cricket.

May I ask what the AC academy is?

Googly

Post by Googly »

The Alistair Campbell HP Academy. They were advertising for players and I’m guessing it’s expensive because they’re offering extra-curricular stuff, but now they’re advertising a trial date? Today I think?
If they’ve been short on customers maybe they’ve changed tack and now doing something under the umbrella of ZC?

Googly

Post by Googly »

http://www.nationalchamps.com.au/pageit ... &entityID=

And apparently the first player to be picked for u16, u17 and u19 in one year.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I don’t think we will be seeing him any time soon :lol:

Googly

Post by Googly »

We don’t seem to have inter-provincial age group tournaments anymore. ZC occasionally get about 400 kids together for a photo-shoot and that’s it. :lol:
The reality is that we don’t have enough good players to have a tournament for each age group, but we could certainly combine a couple of age groups.
We slip further behind every hour, it’s that bad.
At school first team level we’re not even half way through our third term, which is the main cricket season, we’ve had two T20 festivals, played about four 50 over games and the season is over. That’s it, done and dusted.
How does one develop a cricketer in this environment? It’s completely impossible. From what I’ve seen a Zim u18 side would not beat a good school team in SA.

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:29 am
JAYDEN Goodwin, the son of former Zimbabwe national cricket team
Throws some light on why his dad didn't want to be a part of that team any more.

:o :lol:

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Googly wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:30 am
We don’t seem to have inter-provincial age group tournaments anymore. ZC occasionally get about 400 kids together for a photo-shoot and that’s it. :lol:
The reality is that we don’t have enough good players to have a tournament for each age group, but we could certainly combine a couple of age groups.
We slip further behind every hour, it’s that bad.
At school first team level we’re not even half way through our third term, which is the main cricket season, we’ve had two T20 festivals, played about four 50 over games and the season is over. That’s it, done and dusted.
How does one develop a cricketer in this environment? It’s completely impossible. From what I’ve seen a Zim u18 side would not beat a good school team in SA.
I want to see you as part of the Zim setup or in charge.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*