Player Ratings for RSA ODI Series

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Player Ratings for RSA ODI Series

Post by jaybro »

As we expected Zimbabwe lost all three ODI matches against the big brother South Africa, although we were surprised to see the pitches prepared which may have helped keep the results closer than what we expected. I think we were all pleasantly surprised with the bowling and very disappointed but not surprised with the batting. I think I speak for everyone here that it was disappointing not to see Murray play especially considering Moor and Chigumbura played all three matches.

Here are my player ratings out of 10

Hamilton Masakadza - 4/10: Disappointing series for the captain mainly because he got a start in all three matches yet got out in the 20's every time, considering the first two pitches were very difficult to bat on against the seamers he looked fairly comfortable, he got a brut of a ball in the third ODI by KG and got a 50/50 lbw in the 2nd, but he should be very disappointed by his shot to get out in the first game. Still the best opener Zimbabwe has (by some distance) so I find it hard to understand why his name is always one the fans want dropped.

Solomon Mire - 1/10: Lucky to get a single point as he made zero impact on this series with his nine runs from three digs Mire had a series to forget. Considering he doesn't bowl often the question has to be asked 'how long can Zimbabwe leave him in the side'?? His batting average has dropped to 21 below the likes of 'forum whipping boys' Stuey, Vusi, Chamu & Elton and he failed to cross 50 in his last 22 ODI innings!!! His last score past 50 being his 112 v Sri Lanka which he still seems to be living off, maybe a return to bowling and a move down the order might be his best move.

Craig Ervine - 1/10: Much like Mire this was a series to forget for Craig Ervine and again like Mire he has been suffering a lean patch for quite a while. Ervine was a touch unlucky as he got a terrible decision in the 1st game and got out to a ripper catch after bravely seeing off Steyn and Ngidi in the 2nd game. But he managed just the 10 runs for the entire series and his dismissal in the 3rd game was one we've seen too often. With all things being fair Ervine probably should be dropped for the BD series, but with the squad already announced and no domestic cricket being played there isn't anyone demanding to take his spot. A move down the order to 4 or 5 might be required if he's going to continue.

Brendan Taylor - 3/10: Much is expected from Zimbabwe's premier batsman and when he fails to deliver Zimbabwe usually also fail to deliver. Scores of 9 and 10 in the opening games led to Zimbabwe being bowled out for low totals and although his score of 40 in the third match wasn't the score his side required it helped them reach their best total of the series. BT looked assured against the seamers and dominant against the spinners, but a lazy foot cost him his wicket just when it looked as though he and Williams were going to lay the platform for a 250 plus score. His keeping was tidy as usual but BT will be disappointed with his returns with the bat especially in the 2nd game where a victory against South Africa went begging.

Sean Williams - 6/10: A typical series for Williams with bat and ball playing his part without fulfilling the 'match winner role' the forum have wanted from him. After lazy shots cost him his wicket in the first two ODI's he finally played a good innings in the third passing 50, the only Zimbo to do so all series. But in typical Williams fashion he failed to turn his 28th ODI 50 into three figures which has been the story of his career. Bowled well throughout the series without much luck another trait of his career also fielded very well.

PJ Moor - 2/10: How many 'Moor' chances in the ODI side will PJ get?? Averaging 19 it's hard to understand why he even made this tour, but a solid series v Pakistan and his overall standing as a great team member probably got him across the line. He looked good for three boundaries in the first game but then got stuck in a hole against Tahir in the 2nd match before he played a terrible guide to first slip in third ODI. In his defence his record is partly due to being moved around the order so much, he's batted in every spot down to 8, but again we are left looking to where suits him best? Maybe a move to open will help sure up the top order, but I still can't see him making many runs there.

Elton Chigumbura - 3/10: Top scored in the 1st ODI but showed little else in the series, hard to understand why the selectors or coach have gone back to him again as he is a shadow of his former self, much like Mire if he's not bowling he needs to make more runs. Having Murray and Kamunhakumwe warming the bench for him made no sense from the start and his weak dismissals in the 2nd and 3rd games will frustrate fans who were already calling for his head. In fairness he played some good shots in the 1st match.

Donald Tiripano - 8/10: Probably a bit high but in comparison to his team mates 'The Don' had a great series with bat and ball, despite only playing two games he was the 4th highest run scorer and 2nd highest wicket taker for Zimbabwe showing up some of his more highly rated team mates. He might not be the 'hard hitting - strike bowler' the fans want but he gets the job done in his own way. I still think Zimbabwe need to find a more dangerous third seamer, but whilst he's doing the job as he did this series Tiripano deserves his spot.

Brendon Mavuta - 6.5/10: Not a bad debut series for the young leggie who showed he is definitely a player for the future as he picked up four wickets and went for less than five runs an over, but he is still very raw and struggled to land his deliveries in the right spot often enough. The fact he was still able to pick up wickets despite struggling with control is a good trait, plenty of bowlers can land them but struggle to get wickets. Showed some attack with the bat in the 3rd game but still has a lot of work to do on his bowling.

Kyle Jarvis - 5/10: Another frustrating series for Jarvis in the coloured clothing as he struggled to find consistency and take wickets. His first spell in the 1st ODI was extremely poor and cost Zimbabwe any chance of a surprise victory. With the ball moving about and Chatara up the other end taking wickets if Jarvis was on his game he could have made things interesting. He did superbly in the 2nd ODI taking two for 20 odd showing he can be a force in 50 over cricket, he even showed some aggression by bouncing Ngidi then standing his ground whilst exchanging pleasantries. In the end three wickets from your spearhead isn't enough so still lots of work for KJ in the limited overs game.

Tendai Chatara - 8/10: Larry bowled extremely well in the first two games taking early wickets in both matches, despite his speed being down he still found a way to take out the South African top order. As mentioned above if he had some help in the first game Zimbabwe might have defended a small total, I can't understand why Hamilton didn't bowl him out in that game. Had a bit of a shocker in the third match but overall showed why he's Zimbabwe's best seamer in ODI cricket. His speed and mobility seems to be getting worse so I'm not sure how many more 'good years' we will get out of him, maybe saving him for ODI's is the best idea.

Wellington Masakadza - 6/10: Didn't get much of a chance as he only played the one game which was probably due to the team wanting a third seamer and the fact Williams also bowls left arm orthodox. Opened his account with a gem of ball to bowl Reeza Hendricks but struggled to emulate that delivery for the remainder of the game, his second spell was poor and effectively ended Zimbabwe's chances as Klassen hit his first two deliveries (which were long hops) for six, a third long hop was hit down deep mid wicket's throat gifting Wellington his 2nd wicket.

That's the way I saw it as usual I was probably a little generous in my ratings but Im always consistent in that, I'll just add finally about Hamilton's captaincy I thought he really missed a trick not bowling Chatara out in the first game but he was pretty good in the final two games. He bowled his strike fast bowlers an extra over up front in the 2nd game and his move to bring back Jarvis which resulted in the big wicket of Duminy was a touch of gold. Also in the third game he wasted no time bringing on the spinners when Markram and Hendricks were taking the seamers to town, then smartly brought Chatara and Jarvis back when the lights came on to see if they could get any movement from the dew. As I said the only thing I reckon he mucked up was not bowling Chatara out in game 1.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Player Ratings for RSA ODI Series

Post by Black Mamba »

Future of Over rated so called experienced players and their selector friends needs to decided now
.After Chigumbura, Chibhabha & Nyumbhu talk is going on bringing back Vusi Sibanda which might proof more disaster for Zimbabwe

Reason for 5-0 white wash against Pakistan was Inexperience and the reason for 3-0 white wash against Proteas with experienced players still not displayed.

This series clearly reveals there is no difference in skills between inexperienced & experienced players, whilethose inexperienced players can shine if they are picked regularly.

Would drop Mire, Moor, Chigumbura, Ervine from odis against Bangladesh and replace with Musakanda, Murray, Roche & Masvaure

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Black Mamba wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:54 am

Would drop Mire, Moor, Chigumbura, Ervine from odis against Bangladesh and replace with Musakanda, Murray, Roche & Masvaure
You realise Masvaure is the same age as Mire and Moor right ??

Also do you have to right the same shit in every thread ? we know you don't like the older players we get it !!!!

Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Black Mamba »

jaybro wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:05 am
Black Mamba wrote:

Also do you have to right the same shit in every thread ? we know you don't like the older players we get it !!!!
Masvaure looked promising with his small innings...old players aren't performing and the thread is about over all petformance in the series where oldies failed

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Black Mamba wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:17 am
jaybro wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:05 am
Black Mamba wrote:

Masvaure looked promising with his small innings...old players aren't performing and the thread is about over all petformance in the series where oldies failed
You mentioned three players that aren’t even in the squad or this thread.

We get your point you’ve said it a million times and a lot of people agree with you, but please stop ruining every thread by saying the same shit 🤬

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Fair analysis. I respect Tiripano more after this series. Hopefully bringing the game to just 20 overs will make it closer. I genuinely believe we can sneak in a t20 win. The team is also a lot stronger with Tari Bobby and Chisoro in the team. Mavuta's real test will be in Bangladesh.

Also Jaybro I like how you pointed out that Masvaure is the same age group as Moor and Mire. I think we can add Jarvis Chatara Vitori and Mutombodzi to that age group. Would it be fair if we concluded that this age group has let us down? Or was it more of tough economic conditions in that era? Especially their batsmen. I dont know. I just feel like the BT Cremer generation was stacked with talent and the Burl Blessing Tari generation is more exciting. Would like to know what people think. How was that Mire generation as an u19 side?

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

We do criticize the guys when they don't perform and they must be open for such criticism too, but we have now heard from Ervine, Raza and Williams about the feeling after losing to UAE and not qualifying. Some of these guys might appear like they don't have too many emotions when they play, but deep down, we can understand how much it has hurt them through those interviews.

I'm not sure if Ervine has fully recovered from that. He was already out of form before CWCQ with the management refusing to let him settle down better with a move down the middle order. He must play at 5 to get some confidence back. And it is not difficult to achieve that by promoting BT and Williams one place each.

I think Mavuta's rating of 6.5 are a bit too generous. He is very very inconsistent with hitting the right areas. Ideally, Wellington should have played ahead of him in all matches and probably would have ended up as one of our better performers in the series, both in terms of wickets and control, but not to be.

I guess you have been a bit lenient towards the bowlers, I'd have done a -1 on your score for all of them personally. But thanks for the review overall.

I agree about the captaincy. It was quite decent overall except the blunder of not bowling Chatara out in the first one (and for a brief while, having Chigumbura field at backward point in the third one!!!). But he'll be tested when he is in more 50-50 situations, which we are not even getting into in the first place to scrutinize his decision making skills.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:32 am
I think Mavuta's rating of 6.5 are a bit too generous. He is very very inconsistent with hitting the right areas. Ideally, Wellington should have played ahead of him in all matches and probably would have ended up as one of our better performers in the series, both in terms of wickets and control, but not to be.
I disagree. From what I saw in that second ODI, Mavuta is one for the future without a shadow of a doubt, and certainly one to stick with. The stumping dismissal and the bowling of Jonker was lovely to watch, real flight, dip and turn on a wicket not particularly conducive to spin.
I've seen Wellington Mazakadza bowl a lot in recent times and he doesn't turn the ball hardly at all. He bowls to quick, doesn't put hardly any action on the ball and I don't think is the wicket taker he's made out to be.
I'd rather see Chisoro in the side as the left arm spin option to accompany Sean Williams; at least he adds to the batting.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

I'm not saying he doesn't belong there, and is certainly one for the future. But just that currently he is too inconsistent. As you said, if Chisoro was picked, he would get a game ahead of both these guys every single time at this point. Wellington might not spin much, but could have been the contain option and could have helped build some pressure. But yeah, not much to pick really.

Also, having been a leggie myself, may be I over scrutinize leggies :). Certainly the case with Cremer, I only accepted that he had come on leaps and bounds towards the last 12 months of his career...

Stoneman Returns
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Stoneman Returns »

Performances in 3 match Odi Series

H Masakadza - 77
S Mire - 9
C Ervine - 10
Brendan Taylor - 59
Sean Williams - 82, 2 wickets
Peter Moor - 28
E Chigumbura - 36
D Tiripano - 41, 4 wickets
B Mavute - 23, 4 wickets
T Chatara - 6 wickets
K Jarvis - 3 wickets
W Masakadza - 15 runs , 2 wickets

H Masakadza & Taylor both should get 4 or Taylor even 5 rating as Taylor was also brilliant behind the wicket with catch & stumping.

Moor & Chigumbura both should get 2 or 3 as both were worst with the bat, Chigumbura dropped an important catch in the series

Wellington Masakadza has been rated based on just one performance but should have played more

Not agree with Sean Williams getting 6 & Tiripano getting 8. Williams scored 41 more runs then Tiripano whereas Tiripano picked 2 more wickets then Williams but the rating differance is 2. Both should get 8
Success depends on Aggressive Instinct