Player Ratings for RSA ODI Series

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Player Ratings for RSA ODI Series

Post by jaybro »

I think when looking at the ratings you have to take a lot of different factors into consideration

For BT there’s no way he can get a 5 as he failed twice and got out after making a start in the third game.

Williams can’t get an 8 because he failed twice and although he bowled well, 2 wickets @58 isn’t match winning stuff. I think 6.5 was generous

Looking at Tiripano he got 2 wickets in both matches he played whilst getting a not out and 29 batting, really couldn’t ask for much more I think he definitely deserved his 8.

Mavuta was an interesting one because his figures were really good, 4 wickets and going for less than 5 an over. But watching him he mixed the occasional ripper delivery with a lot of short stuff so I think 6.5 reflects he did well but has work to do.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

TapsC wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:52 am
Fair analysis. I respect Tiripano more after this series. Hopefully bringing the game to just 20 overs will make it closer. I genuinely believe we can sneak in a t20 win. The team is also a lot stronger with Tari Bobby and Chisoro in the team. Mavuta's real test will be in Bangladesh.

Also Jaybro I like how you pointed out that Masvaure is the same age group as Moor and Mire. I think we can add Jarvis Chatara Vitori and Mutombodzi to that age group. Would it be fair if we concluded that this age group has let us down? Or was it more of tough economic conditions in that era? Especially their batsmen. I dont know. I just feel like the BT Cremer generation was stacked with talent and the Burl Blessing Tari generation is more exciting. Would like to know what people think. How was that Mire generation as an u19 side?
Yes TapsC you’re right we really haven’t gotten enough out of those Under 19’s World Cup sides after the 06 team. The sides from 08 - 14 really haven’t produced enough good players and those sides were very poor at their respective world cups. I actually started a thread about it a while ago looking at how many internationals each squad had produced.

I think you’re also right in saying economic and general poor state of Zimbabwe forced a lot of kids overseas, Googly will probably be able to roll off 20 names of kids who could have made it, but the only one I can think of off the top of my head was Dylan Higgins & Malcolm Lake.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:32 am
We do criticize the guys when they don't perform and they must be open for such criticism too, but we have now heard from Ervine, Raza and Williams about the feeling after losing to UAE and not qualifying. Some of these guys might appear like they don't have too many emotions when they play, but deep down, we can understand how much it has hurt them through those interviews.
Agree I mentioned this in another thread.
CrimsonAvenger wrote:
I'm not sure if Ervine has fully recovered from that. He was already out of form before CWCQ with the management refusing to let him settle down better with a move down the middle order. He must play at 5 to get some confidence back. And it is not difficult to achieve that by promoting BT and Williams one place each.
I'm not a big fan of shuffling the order just to suit one player especially because they're out of form, but I think swapping BT and Ervine wouldn't be the worse idea. As I said all things being equal Ervine and Mire should be dropped.
CrimsonAvenger wrote:

I think Mavuta's rating of 6.5 are a bit too generous. He is very very inconsistent with hitting the right areas. Ideally, Wellington should have played ahead of him in all matches and probably would have ended up as one of our better performers in the series, both in terms of wickets and control, but not to be.

I guess you have been a bit lenient towards the bowlers, I'd have done a -1 on your score for all of them personally. But thanks for the review overall.
That's fair CA although I'm always a bit generous in my ratings which is ok just as long as I'm generous to all players, as I said Mavuta struggled for consistency but he took 4 wickets and went for less than 5 an over so although it wasn't always pretty he got the job done. You might be right in saying that Wellington would have got better overall figures if he played every game, I think the fact Williams bowls left arm orthodox hurt him when it came to the selection table.
CrimsonAvenger wrote:
I agree about the captaincy. It was quite decent overall except the blunder of not bowling Chatara out in the first one (and for a brief while, having Chigumbura field at backward point in the third one!!!). But he'll be tested when he is in more 50-50 situations, which we are not even getting into in the first place to scrutinize his decision making skills.
Once again 100% right CA that Hamilton's captaincy will be better evaluated during the BD series ( if we can keep things close ), interesting that he actually captained us to a 2-2 draw in a t20 series in BD during his short stint as captain last time.

Thanks for the feed back CA constructive as always

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

jaybro wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:34 am
I think the fact Williams bowls left arm orthodox hurt him when it came to the selection table.
That's right, but it still boggles my mind as to why they left our Chisoro, whose left arm spin would have been very different to Williams's - in terms of height of delivery, variations + batting of course.Williams and Wellington seem to be very similar kind of bowlers.
jaybro wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:34 am
Once again 100% right CA that Hamilton's captaincy will be better evaluated during the BD series ( if we can keep things close ), interesting that he actually captained us to a 2-2 draw in a t20 series in BD during his short stint as captain last time.
Yeah, that series and that Pak first test which we narrowly lost before winning the next one - when Taylor was out for paternity leave. Grant Flower was full of praise for his captaincy then. But the Ntini dossier killed it all prematurely. I don't think we have the quality to give BD a run for their money at their home, so not sure his captaincy will ever be tested. He might end up with the worst captaincy record overall - a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time :)

Stoneman Returns
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Stoneman Returns »

None of the performance was match winning. Williams made a contribution with both bat and ball, he deserved 8, as per Taylor is concerned, his keeping skills hasen't been rated.

Though, Personal Favouritism in rating is differant
Success depends on Aggressive Instinct

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Stoneman Returns wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:02 am
None of the performance was match winning. Williams made a contribution with both bat and ball, he deserved 8, as per Taylor is concerned, his keeping skills hasen't been rated.

Though, Personal Favouritism in rating is differant
Did you read my post at all? I did say BT’s keeping was tidy, but even with his tidy keeping scores of 9,10 & 40 for me only added up to a 3. The guy averages 35 but in this series he averaged under 20.

Again with Williams he bowled ok but 2 wickets @58 isn’t really that special considering the rest of the bowlers all did fairly well. Also he failed twice and had 1 good score he didn’t deserve an 8 for 1 good score.

I find it funny that you’re accusing me of favouritism yet are critical of me for giving BT and Williams low scores, I’ve been accused also of favouring those two exact players on this forum 😂😂😂😂😂

You just can’t win Sometimes

kudet

Post by kudet »

https://www.theindependent.co.zw/2018/1 ... eneration/
Let’s pass mantle to new generation
Posted on October 12, 2018 by The Independent in Sport
enoch-muchinjo1.jpg
FOR all the off-field distractions that have besieged Zimbabwean cricket since the World Cup Qualifiers catastrophe, the national side’s current tour of South Africa has shifted some focus back onto the goings-on out on the park.

By Enock Muchinjo

It was not so long ago that a vast majority of fans could not care less what happened to the team, and the tour here by Pakistan and Australia in July — the first Zimbabwe assignment post-World Cup wreckage — represented new levels of disillusionment among the public.

Still feeling terribly betrayed by the failure to qualify for next year’s World Cup, thousands having witnessed in horror as the dream crumbled at the hands of the unlikeliest source — United Arab Emirates — fans stayed away when the Aussies and Pakistanis visited, only a handful bothering to watch.

That it was a makeshift Zimbabwe side that took to the park did not help matters at all, five senior players having resorted to industrial action over unpaid dues.

And now with a full squad available for the South Africa tour, en route to Bangladesh, Zimbabwe has had the opportunity to assess the progress, if any, that has been made since the team failed in its World Cup mission.
Against a Proteas side far from full-strength, Zimbabwe lost the ODI series 3-0 and are one nil down in the Twenty20s, although it is unfair to say they have not had their moments so far against their more illustrious neighbours.
A positive outlook for the future is the heartening performances of the younger and less experienced members of the squad, with the 21-year-old leg-spinner Brandon Mavuta immediately coming to mind.
Then you also have PJ Moor taking the attack to South Africa in that manner in the first T20 in East London, showing, perhaps, signs that the younger generation of this side is now prepared to form the core of Zimbabwe moving forward.
This, of course, puts pressure on quite a few senior players who over the season have not really shown either the temperament or will to carry the team on their shoulders.
Already there has been some question marks over the re-calling of Elton Chigumbura, a place that really ought to have gone to a much younger player, for the opportunity to learn, particularly so on a tour on which very little was expected of Zimbabwe result-wise.

Same applies to captain Hamilton Masakadza. Barring any unlikely heroics in the last two games in South Africa, as well as the Bangladesh trip, the sun should be setting on the international careers of these two, both great chaps on and off the field.
Masakadza has played international cricket for 17 years. That is a milestone of which he should be proud, and in all these years he has represented the country with pride and quiet dignity.
Many international cricketers who had the kind of starts Masakadza had saw their careers skyrocket onwards. You have to feel for the Zimbabwe skipper, who in all fairness is a victim of the myriad of problems that would later beset cricket in this country since that historic Test debut century in 2001.

Had he played alongside the seasoned “rebel” players for the next seven years or so, gradually and systematically fitting into a senior role, the world would certainly have seen a different Hamilton Masakadza.
Compare Masakadza with his opposing opening batsman in the recent ODI series, the 24-year-old Aiden Markram, who in just 12 Tests has already cracked four hundreds at an average of 47, 27.
Markram has obviously benefitted immensely from being around such men as Hashim Amla, Faf du Plessis and Dean Elgar.
This is what Zimbabwe should be looking to do. Players like Brendan Taylor, Sikandar Raza, as well as the special left-handed skills of Sean Williams and Craig Ervine —hopefully if they can have five more years of international cricket — should provide the leadership to the talented newcomers Tarisai Musakanda, Tinashe Kamunhukamwe, Ryan Murray, Ryan Burl and others.

Zimbabwe can take a leaf out of the leading nations in this aspect.

India have in recent times started using their Under-19 players. They know it has worked miracles for them before. It did not take the Indians a long time to blood in Virat Kohli and Ravindra Jadeja after the 2008 Under-19 World Cup.

New Zealand went the same way with Tim Southee, Corey Anderson and Trent Boult. They too will be quite chuffed by the bold step. Instead of recycling players, Zimbabwe must go this route in preparation for the 2023 World Cup.

Googly

Post by Googly »

The problem is that there is no new generation, particularly batting-wise, that’s ever going to step up. Murray and Masakanda maybe.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Googly wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:23 am
The problem is that there is no new generation, particularly batting-wise, that’s ever going to step up. Murray and Masakanda maybe.
There's talent but it's no longer in Zimbabwe.
I was thinking of the top 10 players I would really love to see somewhere in and around Zimbabwe's cricket circles, including A squads or development sides.

Kundai Matigmu - not sure what he's doing right now but we all know he bowled rockets 2 years ago in the World Cup.
Luke Jongwe - according to the lads on the ground he's lost his way, both on and off the pitch, but from what I saw he had a lot of natural ability.
Malcolm Lake - again, a solid allrounder, more of a batter than a bowler from what I saw in 2012 and if his stats in FC are anything to go by. Not sure what he's doing but he would walk into my team as a top order left hand batsman.
Ed Byrom - Get him at the top of the order and get rid of Chibahba or/and Mire in that position, the latter can go in the middle to lower order.
Nick Welch - clearly has what it takes as he scored a few punchy hundreds and half centuries this summer for Surrey 2's, and was already raved about when he played the Eagles as a 16/17 year old in 2015. I'd love to see this lad in the red jersey.
Taun Harrison - Really liked what I saw when he bowled in the world cup. So much action on the ball and really got over his left leg when he delivered the ball. Just can't bat and his fielding was much to be desired.
Brad Evans - has pace and bounce and the nasty fast bowlers attitude to go with it. He'd get straight into my team; faced him myself and he was sharp and bowled a heavy ball.
Wesley Madhevere - Nice off spinner and a good batter to focus on, from what I saw.
Jeremy Ives - Impressed me a lot with his left arm spin in that Under 19's CWC in 2016, and the 91 against England included some really classy shots. Could be a good player to have in the ODI side.
Tyler Trenowerth - One of the most talented batters i've ever seen, and one of the hardest hitters. Bowls rockets off a short run up and is a demon in the slips. He'd be a fantastic ODI acquisition for the national side.

Googly

Post by Googly »

You’re forgetting Muyeye. This young man is some player, obviously he’s a couple of years younger than these other guys, but he’s one to watch. I want to see if he’s going to make himself available for the 2020 u19 WC and if so will ZC ignore him as they’re prone to do. I haven’t seen your man Trenoweth but I know Muyeye, Lake and Welch are superb T20 batters, and Welch and Byrom are also very good at the longer formats as well.
It would be a giant coup to get these blokes into an A side for a dozen games at some point in the not too distant future. I’ve watched a lot of cricket and these guys tick a lot of boxes. There’s also Ben Curran, he’s a rock solid opener as well. In a perfect world a fine Zim A line up would be Curran, Byrom, Muyeye, Welch, Lake, Musakanda, Murray. Now you’re talking about guys that can make the step up. Throw in Matigimu, Evans, Ives and Madhevere as bowlers and you’ve got a team of note.
And Evans and Ives can bat, but they wouldn’t get a look in up the order in a side like this.