[Match Thread] Zimbabwe vs South Africa, 1st T20

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Detective RDS

Re: [Match Thread] Zimbabwe vs South Africa, 1st T20

Post by Detective RDS »

Googly wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:57 pm
Look no further than Robbie Frylinck as a big unit. Serious bowler. I’m sure he played for Proteas but I’m not seeing that on google.
Why aren’t they picking Chris Morris for these T20’s?
I wonder what’s happened to Marchand De Lange and Philander?
I’d pick Morris and Philander ahead of Phehlukwayo and Dala.
Morris definitely should have been there in the T20Is and ODI squads. I guess when the teams were announced, he was yet to return to domestic cricket / just returned to domestic cricket from injury. With Tahir released, I would have drafted him by now and now that he also has played a FC match after injury return.

More than in T20Is, in ODIs, the non selection of Philander is surprising for me. He at least needs to be in the squad. He can do the same job Phehlukwayo does and that too in a better way. He will be lethal in the swinging English condition. SOU is definitely missing a trick here. The competitors of pace A/R are Phehlukwayo, Mulder, Philander, Morris.

Dala is a back up for / competing with Rabada, Steyn, Ngidi, D Peterson.
sloandog wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:56 pm
TapsC wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:16 pm
I would be pissed too if I was Tahir. I dont think he went to sri lanka. From the selectors point of view I guess they are making it a sink or swim moment for Shamsi.
Not impressed with Shamsi, at all. He doesn't turn the ball and doesn't have the edge that Tahir has. Plus, he doesn't attack the stumps anywhere near enough. But (not to sound racial) he's the right colour and helps them with their quota percentage :roll:
Shamsi is generally a good spinner. But unfortunately he hasn't got his act together recently. Tahir doesn't need to play these matches and rightly so as SOU is looking for the 2nd spinner to support him if/when required. I would have drafted in Keshav Maharaj also to see how he goes in the shorter formats.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:52 am
jaybro wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:43 am
You're missing the point I was trying to make that Zimbabwe haven't produced guys with the physical physique of Nigidi, Rabada and Dala. That was the point/question raised, now for some reason we're debating what or who qualifies as a 'tank' and comparing them to two of the biggest players in the NRL.
Streak and Jarvis are fine for fast bowlers in terms of physique. Mumba is up there as well. Rabada has a very similar physique to Mpofu. For a fast bowler, height is more important than physique, and you don't have to be a tank to intimidate. Brett Lee was no tank, but he was decently tall 6'2" or so and plenty intimidating. Even Mitchell Johnson wasn't a tank, he was just very well chiseled.
Granted

But still doesn’t answer my question
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Dane Peterson is a damn fine bowler, and one who should be given more opportunities by SA.

I've been realy unimpressed with Andile in this limited overs tour; his pace his massively down and he just looks like a genuine trundler. Again, if he was white he'd be nowhere near this side; we all know it. Needs to pick his game up because there's catagorically better fast bowlers than him in SA right now.

How Morris isn't in playing baffles me. 90mph on his day and smashes it towards the end of the innings. Philander should be somewhere in this squad too i agree, he's just too good not to be picked.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:41 am
Granted

But still doesn’t answer my question
Nature vs nurture. One could ask why it is that Pakistan has produced so many quality fast bowlers and Bangladesh hasn't despite essentially being the same race, like ZIM vs SA. Part of it may have to do with diet and culture, but most of it probably with access to quality coaching and facilities.

In the case of Zimbabwe, they obviously don't have the access to the same infrastructure that South Africa has.

I see no difference in the physique between a Rabada and a Mpofu...but in terms of quality they are night and day.

How often are Zimbabwe players training at all levels. The U-19 team barely plays, they don't have many A team tours, with the RS team gone, do they even have an Academy side? The national teamers player maybe 15 domestic games all year long, and while they play a shit ton of ODIs every year, they do spend 20% striking due to lack of payments. On top of that, I question how much many of black guys actually care about cricket from a fan perspective of it. I've long suspected guys like Hamilton approach it as a job they don't particularly like, but one they do because its one of the higher paying salaries.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

I don’t think Bangladeshis and pakis are the same at all.

They do look similar but I’d back myself 100% of the time to distinguish between a group of each walking down the street.

People from Pakistan tend to be lighter looking and sometimes almost have an Arabic tinge to their looks, whereas Banglas are smaller and darker like a southern Indian.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:10 am

They do look similar but I’d back myself 100% of the time to distinguish between a group of each walking down the street.

People from Pakistan tend to be lighter looking and sometimes almost have an Arabic tinge to their looks, whereas Banglas are smaller and darker like a southern Indian.
We can almost always tell ourselves apart, but most non Asians can't.

There are lot of short dark Pakistanis, and lots of fair skinned Bengalis (especially in the UK youtube community). For example, this blogger by the name of Geek Miah is bengali and judging by his pristine accent and fluency in Bengali, I don't think he's half white.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmICO2XUyuU&t=189s

But yes it relatively rare to see tall Bengalis. Outside of the BD cricket team, I don't know many Bengalis who are more than 6 feet tall.

As far as South Indians, a lot of them are really tall like Venkatesh Prasad and Javagal Srinath. R Ashwin is also pretty tall.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:47 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:

There are lot of short dark Pakistanis, and lots of fair skinned Bengalis (especially in the UK youtube community). For example, this blogger by the name of Geek Miah is bengali and judging by his pristine accent and fluency in Bengali, I don't think he's half white.

But yes it relatively rare to see tall Bengalis. Outside of the BD cricket team, I don't know many Bengalis who are more than 6 feet tall.

As far as South Indians, a lot of them are really tall like Venkatesh Prasad and Javagal Srinath. R Ashwin is also pretty tall.
Yes it’s hard to tell on skin tone alone if you look st Powell one off. Need to see groups.

To me George Clooney looks Spanish, but he’s completely Irish American. Paul Rudd looks Anglo but he’s completely Hasidic Jewish. I also saw a lot of Vietnamese recently in Vietnam that looked straight up Indian and I’m pretty sure they were Viet. In fact I was watching the movie platoon last night and the ‘smiling’ Vietnamese guy that Charlie sheen was taunting and Kevin Dillon made his head into mashed potato also looked sub continental to me. Some pakis Look Arab and vice versa and there’s an Aboriginal NRL player (Ben Barba) that I swears is Bangladeshi!

Colouring is a bad indicator, bone structure is still the best indicator of ethnicity in my opinion.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Ben Barba actually has Afghan roots, his surname was originally ‘Bin Barba’ but the family dropped it a couple of generations back to sound less Arab.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:44 am
Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:47 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:

Yes it’s hard to tell on skin tone alone if you look st Powell one off. Need to see groups.

To me George Clooney looks Spanish, but he’s completely Irish American. Paul Rudd looks Anglo but he’s completely Hasidic Jewish. I also saw a lot of Vietnamese recently in Vietnam that looked straight up Indian and I’m pretty sure they were Viet. In fact I was watching the movie platoon last night and the ‘smiling’ Vietnamese guy that Charlie sheen was taunting and Kevin Dillon made his head into mashed potato also looked sub continental to me. Some pakis Look Arab and vice versa and there’s an Aboriginal NRL player (Ben Barba) that I swears is Bangladeshi!

Colouring is a bad indicator, bone structure is still the best indicator of ethnicity in my opinion.
Color is the first thing we see and the most noticeable. But you are right bone structure is one of the defining characteristics in differentiating the various races.

As far as American whites, they are so mixed you wouldn’t be able to tell what they are by looking at them. Surnames might reveal clues. You can perhaps tell Italians apart from Germanic people’s and Slavs have this disntinct look also.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

And a Rugby player can’t be Bangladeshi lol. I bet one rugby player weighs as much as the entire 15 man BD squad or panyangara’s left butt cheek (whichever weighs more) lol.