[Match Thread] Zimbabwe vs South Africa, 1st T20

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC

Re: [Match Thread] Zimbabwe vs South Africa, 1st T20

Post by TapsC »

Googly wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:52 pm
And get Raza back urgently and replace Welly with him.
That’s a decent team.
Raza would have made a big big difference in this series.

I just love it when a new guy like Mavuta comes into the team and doesnt play with all the excess baggage the senior players have. He just walked in there and gave it his all. Its so refreshing. It seems like being around ZC drains all the energy out of you. All the kids just come and play. PJ and Mire started the exact same way too. People just have to back their ability. This is why I like Tari so much. Even though he got 0 I just know its not going to change the way he plays in the next game.

Jayb

Post by Jayb »

PJ's hitting was seriously clean. Such a good sound off all of those shots.

I am flabergasted Chibhaba and Chigumbura were in the team yesterday, Mire played like shit in the ODI'S but his last t20 series he was just about our best.

Chigumbura is a useless fat fuck, this supposed "big hitter" is a myth. He never stays in long enough or the game is already lost at the point he comes in. Better to bring in someone with at least a little bit of batting ability or potential to just knock it around. There's no way he should be getting selected.

Googly

Post by Googly »

jaybro wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:20 pm
I’m just using the players that are in the squad Googly

Chisoro has a bad day, but that doesn’t make him a bad bowler. Hamilton stuffed up bowling him that second over to Faf after the South African captain had hit him for two sixes in the previous over. I’ll back Chisoro to bounce back.

Batting is a serious issue for ZC right now especially considering there aren’t many good young batsman coming through, if the oldies keep failing they’re going to be stuffed.
Ya I agree Chisoro was unlucky enough to bowl to Faf for two overs. Williams is very good at changing his delivery at the last second when the batsman moves, and it may be about the hardest skill to learn as a bowler. The one delivery in particular made that obvious- Faf cleared to leg early enough for Chisoro to bowl it wide of off stump and he couldn’t. Chisoro really struggled with that. He bowled him a few half volleys, he was tight and was struggling to take the pace off it understandably, but he was a foot or so too pitched up. When he bowled a length ball, he was going for singles. T20 is harsh, one over changes the game. Faf is good at that leg side move and then stepping inside to wide it. That’s not easy either, you need a cool head for that.

Googly

Post by Googly »

TapsC wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:19 am
Googly wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:52 pm
And get Raza back urgently and replace Welly with him.
That’s a decent team.
Raza would have made a big big difference in this series.

I just love it when a new guy like Mavuta comes into the team and doesnt play with all the excess baggage the senior players have. He just walked in there and gave it his all. Its so refreshing. It seems like being around ZC drains all the energy out of you. All the kids just come and play. PJ and Mire started the exact same way too. People just have to back their ability. This is why I like Tari so much. Even though he got 0 I just know its not going to change the way he plays in the next game.
Ya when you keep losing it messes with your head. People put it down to a losing defeatist mentality when it’s often just that you’re so tight that you’re not playing with a clear head. Our boys want to win real bad, you can see it.
Those first 6 overs are so important, you have to get through them with one wicket down at most and with at least 40 on the board. I’ll bet they will ask PJ to open next game. It might not be a bad thing....
Is Solly injured or was he benched?
The problem with Solly and Hammy upfront is their strike rotation, they’re terrible at it. As I said earlier, as soon as you see Hammy trying to play square early on you know he’s run out of ideas. He’s such a good player he has to back himself to hit it in the V until he’s set. He does sweep well, but not early on. He’d be better off with a slog sweep rather than a paddle if he feels he needs to play that. Tahir doesn’t often get his length wrong though and it’s not quite there to sweep, especially the touch shots because there’s a bit of overspin and it hurried through. Just my 10c, can’t help trying to coach :lol:

Googly

Post by Googly »

The problem is I think you’ll find that will be the lowest total SA will post. We got a couple of early wickets there that contained them. De Kock, Miller, Du Plessis, Van Der Dussen were quiet for batters of their abilities. One of them usually goes big. They will have a good look at Mpofu and Mavuta in particular on film and round 2 won’t be so easy. I think they will come down the wicket a lot more to Mavuta and he’s going to be sorely tested.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Flakeman wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:59 pm
Sloan, Mavuta was excellent tonight. FairPlay. But he was average during the ODIs and drags too many balls down, but credit where it’s due tonight.

The way Faf handled Chisoro was genius. Chisoro has a T20I economy of 6 for a reason though. He literally almost bowled every ball to Faf and I think would’ve troubled the others.

Guys need to see off Tahir or something. I’m not sure but other than him they weren’t great. Ngidi has talent but I feel like wiping that smug look off his face every time I see him.

Poor Shamsi haha. He must be mortified.
I thought he was excellent in the 2nd ODI, though I didn't watch much of the other games.
Yea I've noticed that with Ngidi. When Jarvis bowled a couple of short bumpers to him in one of the ODI's he put his hand to his ear as if to say, 'yea..? Something to say?' :lol: Love his attitude but at the same time I would like his to go at 10 an over one game, not to sound too harsh on the bloke as he's a real talent.
Andile Ph looks seriously average right now...77mph long hops is not a good illustration. His speed is dropping dramatically.
Shamsi looked very average, time to give Van Borg a go, that guy can bowl!

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

On the subject of Ngidi why can’t Zimbabwe produce guys with the physical physique of Ngidi, KG or Junior Dala??

Those guys are all built so well they could easily be mistaken for Rugby players !!!

All the Zim fast bowlers are tall and skinny like rakes, Mumba is the only one who is sort of built.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Googly

Post by Googly »

If you have 4 wives and 14 children and a small house you’re going to inadvertently impregnate your cousin at some point. :lol:

Flakeman

Post by Flakeman »

Chatara is quite built. Trust me there. Jarvis is ripped. The rest are pretty insignificantly built. Rabada is pretty slim, he’s about 6’3, and he just has super long arms. I’ve spoken to him a bit before, he’s a real orangutan with those arms.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Flakeman wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:37 am
Chatara is quite built. Trust me there. Jarvis is ripped. The rest are pretty insignificantly built. Rabada is pretty slim, he’s about 6’3, and he just has super long arms. I’ve spoken to him a bit before, he’s a real orangutan with those arms.
He’s well built compared to Blessing & Bobby

You’re right Chatara is a tank, that’s why before his injury he could get the ball through at pace.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement