Donald Tiripano to Open the batting

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Donald Tiripano to Open the batting

Post by Googly »

Ya I’d be interested to see how Jongwe looks these days. He could have been a quick bowler but just bowled within himself like he had terminal bilharzia. Talented batsman as well, just loose. Hopefully now that he realizes he’s not the golden boy he will try and play some serious cricket.

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

zimlover wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:17 am
I know the criticism is going to very intense on this one, after watching the ODI series and most games and even Test, I think the selectors should late Donald Tiripano open the batting in Test and ODI cricket or even play the famous no 3 spot.
I agree with Mire & Chibhabha underperforming we should seriously look at Tiripano, Chisoro or K-long ( the brother with a long name)...As openers...
Chigumbura has faced & should start playing for Zimbabwe A ...

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

The solution to selection should be simple and look like this....for now.

Keep the core and fill in the rest with young prodigies. Half measures like Elton need to be turfed.
After the next t20 WC, would tighten further by retiring Hammy afterward, which is a must....

1 YOUNG MEAT (Burl, Welch,Masakanda etc)
2 Hamilton
3 Ervine
4 Taylor
5 Raza
6 YOUNG MEAT (Musakanda,Burl,Murray
7 Williams (as an all rounder)
8 Cremer
9 Jarvis
10 Chatara
11 (Chisoro, Blessing if he returns,mumba, someone else)

My squad personally would have Masakanda up the top and Murray in the middle, with Burl and K-Long in the wings who should get plenty of gametime. Chisoro and Mavuta can fight out the 11 spot.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:26 am

Keep the core and fill in the rest with young prodigies. Half measures like Elton need to be turfed.
After the next t20 WC, would tighten further by retiring Hammy afterward, which is a must....

2 Hamilton
3 Ervine
4 Taylor
5 Raza
8 Cremer
9 Jarvis
10 Chatara

My squad personally would have Masakanda up the top and Murray in the middle, with Burl and K-Long in the wings who should get plenty of gametime. Chisoro and Mavuta can fight out the 11 spot.

I agree with the lineup...

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

The gist of my post is essentially, we have our core/must picks, and our developmental players.

There can be no room for our band aid or older players that technically may be in our top 11 but arent the future or dont offer MUCH different than the development players who have a higher ceiling

Chibhabha is a good example. I think hes in our top 7 batsman, at about 6 or 7, but hes far off the top 5 and not above the Musakandas by much so he's suprlus to requirements, hes not mentally tough enough.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

I think most people here would agree with you Dogg, I doubt there are many Chigumbura or Chibhabha fans anymore.

The question is balance, how many youngsters do we have in each XI or each squad?

Do we play guys like Tari or Burl even if they haven’t got the runs on the board?

I’m not one to put a line through someone’s name, but for guys like Chigumbura or Chibhabha or Waller they’d need to really bang down the door with a lot of Runs to get back in.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:26 am

2 Hamilton
3 Ervine
4 Taylor
5 Raza
8 Cremer
9 Jarvis
10 Chatara

I agree although I am not sure I would give many of the youngsters a go opening, unless we snag Byrom or something.