[Match Thread] Zimbabwe v South Africa, 2nd T20

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimstarr
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: [Match Thread] Zimbabwe v South Africa, 2nd T20

Post by zimstarr »

Googly wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:22 pm
He’s not in long enough to judge that. :lol:
He doesnt have the ability to convert 20s and 30s into high scores like 80s and above .

Googly

Post by Googly »

No I think he does. He’s a talented guy. He just plays way too many shots.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Googly wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:43 am
He does play too many shots. Problem is you dont want to stop that killer instinct from developing as well. PJ is an example of this. He was a very attacking player when he started but he has struggled to adjust in ODIs when he decided to stop being aggresive. I think he should move back up the order.

People will also judge the way Hami got out but thats how t20 cricket is played. You should never let the bowler settle into a rhythm. They should have targeted Shamsi from the very beginning.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

TapsC wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:03 pm
Googly wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:43 am
He does play too many shots. Problem is you dont want to stop that killer instinct from developing as well. PJ is an example of this. He was a very attacking player when he started but he has struggled to adjust in ODIs when he decided to stop being aggresive. I think he should move back up the order.

People will also judge the way Hami got out but thats how t20 cricket is played. You should never let the bowler settle into a rhythm. They should have targeted Shamsi from the very beginning.
You’re right about Tari but I think for a young players from Zimbabwe who’s struggling to find his feet in international cricket, a simple rule not to play a big shot for the first 10
Balls in a t20 is probably a good idea.

It doesn’t mean he has to block the first 10 balls, he can work the singles or if there is a bad ball put it away. But Tari played about 3 big shots in his short scoreless innings. Like all our young batters he’s in desperate need of a good batting coach. At this point I don’t think the senior side even has a batting coach do they?

Also agree about Hami, I’m more worried about Mire, Chigs and Tari than Hami.

I’m still not sure about PJ we tried him as an opener and he did ok in his first series there against Afghanistan but then they moved him down the order for no success only to move up again for the home series v Afghanistan where he got starts but kept getting out.

As someone pointed out he’s good at launching the spinners but it’s a different story against the seamers. Maybe he could open in ODI’s and play the anchor role, but I still think he’ll get bogged down. He’s only got two gears ‘first gear and fifth gear’ until he learns how to rotate the strike and manipulate the field I can’t see him being a success in ODI cricket.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

jaybro wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:47 pm

I’m still not sure about PJ we tried him as an opener and he did ok in his first series there against Afghanistan but then they moved him down the order for no success only to move up again for the home series v Afghanistan where he got starts but kept getting out.
This is what I have been saying. It's hard to blame PJ for his form. He has the skills, but has been moved around so much and told to adjust his game to so many different things that he can't find a rhythm or consistency. It's not his fault, but the coaching and structure that we have at fault.

We talk about getting a better pitch and how the batters need to backup the bowlers, and then they only score 130-ish. A lot of the time when our players talk, I can't take them seriously any more. I can only take Raza, BT, and Williams seriously.