Best All Rounder Squad Zimbabwe

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Mueddie28

Best All Rounder Squad Zimbabwe

Post by Mueddie28 »

Squad X1

Grant Flower
S Mire
Andy Flower wk
Murray Godwin
Neil Johnson
Raza
Guy Whittall
Sean Williams
Heath Streak
Chigumbura
Dirk Viljoen

BugsBunny

Re: Best All Rounder Squad Zimbabwe

Post by BugsBunny »

My All Rounders

Grant Flower
Andy Blignaut
Andy Flower wk
Neil Johnson
Sean Ervine
Guy Whittall
Bryan Strang
Heath Streak
Paul Strang
Dirk Viljoen

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

How is Goodwin an all rounder?

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Chigumbura? You're having a laugh mate.

Sean Ervine, Paul Strang, Doug Marillier, Travis Friend, possibly even Duncan Fletcher would be ahead of him and Mire by a long way.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Grant Flower
Neil Johnson
Sean Ervine
Tatenda Taibu wk
Sean Williams
Sikander Raza
Guy Whittal
Elton Chigumbura
Heath Streak
Andy Blignaut
Graeme Cremer

Travis Friend 12th man
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:01 am

Sean Ervine, Paul Strang, Doug Marillier, Travis Friend, possibly even Duncan Fletcher would be ahead of him and Mire by a long way.
Chigumbura has over 100 wickets in ODI's & over 4000 runs , if that's not an rounder , what is ...

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Mueddie28 wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:42 am
zimbos_05 wrote:

Chigumbura has over 100 wickets in ODI's & over 4000 runs , if that's not an rounder , what is ...
By definition, yes he is an all rounder, but I'm assuming the point was not to name 11 all rounders, rather the best 11. Chigs stats should be much better considering the level of opposition he often played and the number of games he played. He also gave up bowling a while ago, essentially losing the all rounder tag.

I just feel there are many better players who deserve to be in the best 11 AR ahead of him. Ervine is the first name off the top of my head.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:10 pm
Mueddie28 wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:42 am
zimbos_05 wrote:

By definition, yes he is an all rounder, but I'm assuming the point was not to name 11 all rounders, rather the best 11. Chigs stats should be much better considering the level of opposition he often played and the number of games he played. He also gave up bowling a while ago, essentially losing the all rounder tag.

I just feel there are many better players who deserve to be in the best 11 AR ahead of him. Ervine is the first name off the top of my head.
Ervine yes but no way is Mire a better all rounder than prime Elton. Mire bowled for a few months then stopped.

Doug Marrilier averaged 18 with the bat and over 40(same as Elton) with the ball in ODIs. Paul Strang was more of a bowler with his highest score being 47 in over 90 games. Travis Friend averaged 48 with the bowl in ODIs,16 with the bat.

Now Elton might be finished now but he did a lot for his country at his peak. People are very quick to forget. 16th best ODI average for Zim, 6th on the runs list and 7th on the wickets list

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

I agree TapsC, with an average of 25 I'd say his record is respectable.

The risk is that he keeps playing, keeps under-performing and it drops to 24, 23 etc and then his career stats will just show an unfulfilled talent like Sibanda or Chibhabha.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

TapsC wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:05 pm

Ervine yes but no way is Mire a better all rounder than prime Elton. Mire bowled for a few months then stopped.

Doug Marrilier averaged 18 with the bat and over 40(same as Elton) with the ball in ODIs. Paul Strang was more of a bowler with his highest score being 47 in over 90 games. Travis Friend averaged 48 with the bowl in ODIs,16 with the bat.

Now Elton might be finished now but he did a lot for his country at his peak. People are very quick to forget. 16th best ODI average for Zim, 6th on the runs list and 7th on the wickets list

I never said Mire is better than Elton.

Marillier and Friend were playing in a time when they were competing for a spot against some quality players. They also played quality opposition. Can't forget the game Marillier won for us against India. A player of Chigs hype should have much better stats, especially as he was always a shoe in, and played opposition that was of a lower calibre more often.
Last edited by zimbos_05 on Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.