[Match Thread] Bangladesh v Zimbabwe 1st ODI

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC

Re: [Match Thread] Bangladesh v Zimbabwe 1st ODI

Post by TapsC »

The Hami runout was also suicidal. He was in good touch and had settled. This is why I like having an explosive opener uptop. If it works it just allows the other batsman to face 3 quiet overs and get in without any scoreboard pressure. Hami was in.

Googly

Post by Googly »

The problem is CZ is not going to come off that often unless he picks his shots a bit better. He had a good day today though. He absolutely smokes it, but he just goes too hard too often. Wouldn’t surprise me if they put a spinner onto him next game.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

That period where Raza and Ervine werent scoring hurt us badly. Like 8 overs of nothing. That was so poor. Raza looked out of form today. That was a very strange knock by his standards. Craig is struggling. He had like 9 lives in 48 balls. I think he needs a break. Problem is everybody on the bench(Mire,Tari,Elton) has their own issues.

I would be tempted to drop Craig and put Tari in the middle. At least he wont get bogged down for 30 deliveries like what happened to Craig today. Thats 5 whole overs where he scored 11. Thats just not good enough. At least get off strike if you are struggling.

Mavuta's batting has potential for his age. Tiripano disappointed me today with bat and bowl. In the end it was a difference of just 28 runs. We could have won this if we did a couple of things better. We gave up too quickly

Googly

Post by Googly »

As poor as Ervine’s form has been you can’t drop him, you do that and then what? Will he find form in the change room or playing club cricket, because there’s nothing else.
As much as I enjoy watching CZ clout a few he should be reserved for T20 and they should persist with Mire or give Masakanda an extended run or try Kamunhukamwe. If the public or the selectors think a quick fire 30 up front every now and then is something we should settle for then I just don’t know.
We’re looking for a guy that can open consistently well and occasionally get a really big score.

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by zimfan1 »

I think we have our batting line up all wrong. Williams is in good form and he is wasted down at 6. PJ is also looking in decent form but is coming in when the game is lost/defined.

If we pushed Williams and PJ up the order we could bat Mire at 7 in the explosive hitter role.

I think Craig looks a long way off from a dynamic number 4 which is required in ODI cricket.

I also think we need to play 2 proper out and out spinners. We are not going to bowl out Bangladesh who were brought up on spinning tracks with 20 overs of Raza and Williams. A second spinner is needed.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

The batting lineup is wrong. I agree with that. The opening slots are giving us real headaches. I think we just need to try different people until we get it right. Starting with PJ then maybe swap Raza and Mire.

For me Mire has been living on borrowed time. Zhuwao has no technique but Mire has a flawed technique because his foot movement against pace bowlers is so poor. In fact I would bet some money that if Mire opens in the next game he will nick one to the slips against Mustafizur's left arm pace the same way Ervine always gets caught in the slips facing right arm pace bowlers. Very similar problem.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

I watched until I fell asleep with Moor and Williams at the crease, I think Zim did ok but some bad errors and some umpiring calls didn't help us.

The big points I found from the game.

The drop catch of Kayes by Mavuta was what killed us in the end. His innings was the difference.

The Raza and Ervine catches could easily have gone our way, if the Ervine stayed with the soft signal the Raza one should have as well, also that rule to restrict Jarvis to bowling 9 overs is a joke, sometimes I don't understand why people make such stupid rules.

Our spinners were poor they bowled the wrong length and the wrong speed, compared to the BD spinners who gave it a chance to turn our guys bowl too flat and fast whilst also dropping it short.

I wish Hamilton bowled Jarvis out when they were 6/139 lacked the killer instinct right there.

If Cephas Zhuwao could average 35 off 24 balls he's worth his spot in the side, but although on paper his innings looked good anyone who watched will know he used his 9 lives in that innings.

Our guys just never learn how to play these spinners they just sit there on their crease like sitting ducks plonking on their front foot, I'm not sire if the coaches are telling them but they need to use their feet and get to the pitch of the ball this will force the spinners to change their lengths and then they might start dropping short and they can take advantage.

Alistair Campbell noted that during the Sri Lanka series the batsman decided to sweep from ball one and that threw the bowlers off their plans, obviously the pitches and bowlers are different but the batters need to try something otherwise they'll keep getting out bowled and lbw
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

zimfan1 wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:42 pm
I think we have our batting line up all wrong. Williams is in good form and he is wasted down at 6. PJ is also looking in decent form but is coming in when the game is lost/defined.

If we pushed Williams and PJ up the order we could bat Mire at 7 in the explosive hitter role.

I think Craig looks a long way off from a dynamic number 4 which is required in ODI cricket.

I also think we need to play 2 proper out and out spinners. We are not going to bowl out Bangladesh who were brought up on spinning tracks with 20 overs of Raza and Williams. A second spinner is needed.
But when has Mire ever played the big hitting role well from the middle order?

Fielders are on the fence, need to time them sweeter
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Black Mamba »

Since that UAE game in ICC Qualifiers, its 9th loss back to back in odis, this players aren't good enough for international cricket

Zimbabwe will again feature in this list

www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Matc ... asp?Stat=3

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Missed this. Some good amidst plenty of regular issues by the looks of it.