[Match Thread] Bangladesh v Zimbabwe 2nd ODI

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: [Match Thread] Bangladesh v Zimbabwe 2nd ODI

Post by Jemisi »

Elton didn't look anything like his old self. His get out shot was catching practise. I don't know what has gone wrong in his mind. It is something more than form.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Jemisi wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:50 am
Elton didn't look anything like his old self. His get out shot was catching practise. I don't know what has gone wrong in his mind. It is something more than form.
Id be inclined to agree with you, but for the fact Elton hasnt played well in YEARS.
Not internationally, not domestically, none.

I think the last time he showed any real form was 2014, and he was definitely no star even then.

He probably has been affected by something mentally,especially if hes losing property like that news report.
However, he cant be near the pitch until that sorts out but because he's been out of touch for so long, combined with his age and injury history, sadly, retirement seems a better option.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Elton has always been an unreliable batsman. A career average of 25 signifies that.

The batting was a let down today. Bangladesh bowled poorly today (bowled decently at the death) but Zimbabwe also batted poorly. 147-3 after 30 overs they should have gotten 280 minimum, which would still have been a subpar total. This was a 300-320 wicket.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Elton’s career peaked in 2015 after the World Cup where he scored back to back hundreds v Pakistan & India batting @4, his third highest score of 90 v South Africa in 2014 was also made batting @4. But for some reason he moved back down the order and never ever really hit form again.

There really can’t be any other reason for his selection other than Utseya being a selector, he adds nothing to the side at all.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

One of our major problems is that we panic too much. If we are not scoring runs, we panic big time and try to just play big shots or do something silly. All that needs to be done is to rotate the strike, pick up singles or twos, and you will be bound to get the odd boundary.

Zhuwao got out playing an unnecessary shot. Same thing for Raza, Elton. Mavuta was lucky. But the problem is easily evident.

Batsmen struggling, they panic and do silly things.

Bowlers struggling, they panic and do silly things. Captain panics more and goes all out defensive.

Googly

Post by Googly »

The main problem is the domestic set up. We’ve just gone backwards with the dissolution of the RS side, but even if they were still in the mix these young guys need to make a living. It’s not that the cricket doesn’t pay enough, they’re not paid at all! The pittance that they were promised ZC renegaded upon.
The economy is so shattered that they can’t get part time jobs to support themselves and if (God forbid) ZC did pay anything, to supplement their meager incomes, because this place is one of the most expensive places in the world to live.
So basically any player trying to start out here has to be supported by family. A young man with no options will hang in and play, anyone with options will not hesitate to leave.
So it begs the question- how do you get a really talented player to stay and play here? A young guy would be prepared to risk two years if there were pathways and enough regular games (30-40) to play. There’s neither.
Unless they resurrect RS and get A tours up and running their only option is to fast track the really good guys, which is easier to do for a bowler than a batsman. Murray is the only current example of a young batter who has made more international appearances than FC ones, but because he’s rightfully trying to get an education they’ve done it half heartedly. Were he not at Uni would ZC have treated him any differently? Probably not. I don’t think they fast tracked him for the right reasons either, they were more afraid that he’d depart for good, rather than genuinely wanting to bring on a good player- State capture at work!
Do we have any Hetmeyer’s in our midst? Yes we’ve definitely had a few, and there are a couple more in the junior ranks, although that’s fast drying up. We have to urgently stop turning gold into a nondescript metal alloy. Money has to be spent wisely on the small talent pool that we have. Above all the players and their families have to believe in the administration and the structures or we will continue to witness the exodus of young guys from the game.
The really good guys that have left here or stopped playing makes me want to burst into tears. If you were to take the number of players with genuine ability vs the total number of players there would be grounds to do a study on the genetic make up of Zimbabweans- we’ve produced an extraordinary number of brilliant sportsmen from a tiny handful of people.
We’ve had some good cricketers stay in Zim, but the dire state of affairs reduces them to struggling cricketers instantly.
Look what happens when we get continuity of games- guys like BT, Williams and PJ start to make runs, they’re really good players (not the only ones of course) in a poor set of circumstances. They will come back from Bangladesh to stop start poor domestic cricket and we will be back to square one just in time for the next international.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Has anyone noticed that these last games we struggled when the game basically becomes a t20 in the final overs? Thats where we lost both games. The pressure got to them. T20 is a mental game. You have to back yourself.

I think the senior players are just so mentally damaged from years of losing. Just look at the difference between Mavuta and Elton. With Elton you just saw it coming. With Mavuta he just had that belief in himself that he could pull of something special. Even the t20 when he was batting with PJ. They both just believed it was possible.

When I watch Ervine play these days he just doesnt look like he backs himself anymore. Its so sad. Its like the UAE game finished him.These guys need a sports psychologist. They are damaged.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

TapsC wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:31 am
Has anyone noticed that these last games we struggled when the game basically becomes a t20 in the final overs? Thats where we lost both games. The pressure got to them. T20 is a mental game. You have to back yourself.

I think the senior players are just so mentally damaged from years of losing. Just look at the difference between Mavuta and Elton. With Elton you just saw it coming. With Mavuta he just had that belief in himself that he could pull of something special. Even the t20 when he was batting with PJ. They both just believed it was possible.

When I watch Ervine play these days he just doesnt look like he backs himself anymore. Its so sad. Its like the UAE game finished him.These guys need a sports psychologist. They are damaged.
Yea I agree with this.
Ervine is still one of the best technically correct batters we have in our arsenal, but i'm starting to wonder if ODI cricket is really his strongest format.
I've had a little rumour which would be encouraging for anybody to hear if they wish to pm me. I don't want to get anybody in trouble by posting it for all the internet to see but, hey, it's pretty exciting if true.

kudet

Post by kudet »

Ervine has been my favourite player ever since he made his ODI debut 8 years ago.. since 2015, he hs been our batting mainstay and it was just so odd to find him not on the team sheet, but these days i just dont know, maybe its psychological, as Taps alluded to, but its increasingly hard to justify his selection in the team.. he is due for a big one and i have a gut feeling that its around the corner, but time is running out and its not long before the selectors dump him for musakanda..

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

I too fear that the UAE debacle has spooked Ervine. He looks completely out of touch. He has always been a bit of a slow starter but things seem much worse now. Of course as googly said, if you drop one of our big names for poor form where do they go to get back in-form?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes