[Article] Ex-Chevrons star Sean Ervine’s greatness denied (Zimbabwe Independent)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: [Article] Ex-Chevrons star Sean Ervine’s greatness denied (Zimbabwe Independent)

Post by Jemisi »

Sean doesn't even have 1000 international runs.

A great has to perform over time.

He would likely have been one, but can't have that title attached to him due to his early retirement.

Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: [Article] Ex-Chevrons star Sean Ervine’s greatness denied (Zimbabwe Independent)

Post by Black Mamba »

Jemisi wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:53 am
Sean doesn't even have 1000 international runs.

A great has to perform over time.

He would likely have been one, but can't have that title attached to him due to his early retirement.
Better to say forced to retire

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

You're all missing the point of the article. It does not say he is great, or was great, but rather that the opportunity to be a great (in particular to zim cricket, not the world) was denied to him. He was unable to achieve the lofty standards he promised to because of the politics within our game.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:45 am
You're all missing the point of the article. It does not say he is great, or was great, but rather that the opportunity to be a great (in particular to zim cricket, not the world) was denied to him. He was unable to achieve the lofty standards he promised to because of the politics within our game.
I still disagree, because if that was true he would be a Graeme Hick type and cause carnage in the County league, which is a lower standard than international, he held his place but didnt set the comp alight.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

It would have been very interesting to see what his numbers would have been if he had returned at some point.

I think at best he would have averaged 30-34 with the bat and similar average with the ball in ODIs which would have made him a great of the game in Zimbabwe.

But he didn’t so he will remembered as a run of the mill county player and a lost talent to Zimbabwe.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Didn't he also play for Western Australia for a while?

Not many Zimbo's (with international caps I mean, I'm ignoring Cartwright types) have cracked the Australian circuit. Flower, Goodwin, Blignaut - anyone else?

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:59 am
zimbos_05 wrote:
I still disagree, because if that was true he would be a Graeme Hick type and cause carnage in the County league, which is a lower standard than international, he held his place but didnt set the comp alight.
The article is about Zim, not county, Zim. By Zim standards of what we have now and have had since 2004, Sean is one of the best in the world.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:45 am
Didn't he also play for Western Australia for a while?

Not many Zimbo's (with international caps I mean, I'm ignoring Cartwright types) have cracked the Australian circuit. Flower, Goodwin, Blignaut - anyone else?
Scott Brant.

Seanwasnt that good for WA but at that time, for whatever reason, never seen before or since, the Aussie circuit was a refuge for Zimbo's from the 2004 fallout.

None were really a success. Flower had his moments.
Last edited by ZIMDOGGY on Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:24 pm
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:59 am
zimbos_05 wrote:
The article is about Zim, not county, Zim. By Zim standards of what we have now and have had since 2004, Sean is one of the best in the world.
That doesnt make sense even.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I’ve never heard of Scott Brant. I just spent a few minutes looking him up, he was clearly a useful left arm seamer.