Player ratings for Bangladesh ODI series

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Player ratings for Bangladesh ODI series

Post by jaybro »

Coming into this series against an understrength Bangladesh side I know a few of us were hoping for a surprise or two, and despite playing well at times in all three matches Zimbabwe lost every game comfortably. The bowling was a major let down after impressing in South Africa, they had Bangladesh 6-139 in Mirpur only to let the game slip from there, after that they had few answers to the Bangladeshi onslaught in Chittagong.

The batting was much improved from the South African tour with scores of 243, 246 & 286 but in hindsight they were well be low par on such batting tracks. The problems again started up the top with the openers failing to give the side the same platform to build off compared to their opposition, whilst the side did well during the middle overs they again failed to take advantage of strong positions going into the final 10 overs and were left short in all matches. It was a mixed bag looking at individual performances with some players having a good series whilst others simply made up the numbers

Hamilton Masakadza - 2/10: A very disappointing series for the captain failing with the bat in all three matches, coming off a century in the warm up game and some 'promising starts' in South Africa more was expected from the oldest statesman in the side. The calls for his head as both captain and player are loud and if he fails again in the Test series this might be the end for Hamilton, Zimbabwe don't play again until March next year and considering he is 36 in August I don't think he will make a return to the side if he's dropped again. Further enhanced his reputation as a 'Golden Arm' by taking the wicket of Soumya with his one and only over.

Cephas Zhuwao - 3/10: I was very surprised to see Cephas open in the first game as he seemed to fall down the pecking order after his technique had been shown up during the CWCQ and home t20 series, but there he was doing what he does trying to get the side off to a quick start which he succeeded in the first two games with scores of 35 and 20, but an ugly slog in the second over of the third ODI had him out for a duck and again the calls for his head were heard. Say what you want about him he doesn't try and change his game he just does what he's best at going after the bowlers, and although his technique has its issues there's always an element of excitement when he comes out to bat.

Brendan Taylor - 7/10: Good series for BT with the bat scoring a pair of 75's in the 2nd and 3rd matches, but on both occasions he left a big hundred out on the pitch, maybe if he had gone on to score that 'big daddy ton' Zimbabwe might have won either game? But in a side where some guys couldn't even post fifty runs for the series it's hard to be too critical on BT but even he knows Zimbabwe's fortunes usually rest on his bat. His keeping was ok in the first two games but he was very sloppy in the third struggling to clean up anything down the leg side and dropping a catch off Wellington although the game was already gone. Hopefully he can take his form into the Test matches with the bat where he has struggled since his return.

Sean Williams - 8/10: Some might say he deserves a higher score but he wasn't effective at all with the ball which hurt the side that usually depends on his tight left armers. With the bat he showed great consistency and determination to score 226 runs and only being dismissed once!!! Some people will also disagree with me but I don't think he looked in great form throughout the series, looking like he was struggling for timing and fluency throughout his innings', another unpopular view is that he possibly batted too slow which left the side short of runs? I feel this is a tough point and the fact he came in with the side in trouble probably left him in no choice but to be slightly cautious. But a good series with the bat by Sean Williams and a 2nd ODI ton he was Zimbabwe's best player throughout the series.

Sikander Raza - 6/10: A decent series for SRB after missing out with bat and ball in the first game he scored 49 and 40 in the next two whilst picking up three wickets and keeping things tight with the ball, Raza got out at the wrong time just as the side was looking to accelerate into the final 10 overs of both the 2nd and 3rd matches with all his recent t20 experience more was needed from Raza during these periods. But after missing all the action since the CWCQ it was nice to see him back in the red jersey doing his thing with bat and ball, much like BT and Williams Zimbabwe will need plenty from him in the Test series.

Peter Moor - 4/10: Some will say he deserves more than 4 and some will say he deserves less, but coming in at 6 and 7 he didn't really have a chance to play a long innings except for maybe in the first game and he hit some long balls in the final overs which helped. Still looks slightly lost in the ODI format not really knowing his role, his ball striking is exceptional but he still looks uncomfortable trying to rotate the strike. I think PJ is in a similar position to where Hamilton was at the same point in his career, great ball striker but struggling to control the tempo of an ODI innings. I still think he can be a good ODI player despite his career numbers, and I guess the coaches still do as well considering they keep picking him.

Elton Chigumbura - N/A: Hard to judge a guy who only faced 10 balls in a series but he couldn't get the ball way in the 2nd ODI where he faced 9 deliveries and he looked overweight and slow in the field. Like Hamilton and Zhuwao the fans are not happy with his inclusion when exciting players like Tari and Mire sit on the bench and it's hard to understand why the selectors are persisting with him considering his age and lack of runs.

Donald Tiripano - 1/10: Tough score for the Don and I feel bad doing it to him because he always tries his hardest but his limitations were shown up in this series and despite his wholehearted performances he didn't make an impact on the series. He bowled 19 overs for no wickets and went for a run a ball which really is unacceptable for a front line bowler, his lack of speed and variation was shown up by the Bangladeshis as they took him to town. Donald usually gets to show his worth with the bat but he wasn't given the chance in this series as the batsman stood up for the most part. I still think he can be useful on a pitch that is assisting the bowlers a bit, but on a flat deck where you're getting nothing he's just too ineffective.

Kyle Jarvis - 6.5/10: Jarvis bowled really well in this series especially in the first game where he got a career best 4-37, but he only got one more wicket in the final two games despite looking dangerous throughout. He seems to finally have found his feet with the white ball finding the right line and length to the right handers, but he struggled bowling to the lefties where Soumya & Kayes took him to town. He was unlucky having Liton Das lbw in the 2nd only for it to be overturned and he had a few close chances against both Soumya & Kayes in the third not go to hand. His batting in the 1st ODI was also good hitting some big sixes in a career best 37.

Brandon Mavuta - 3/10: After hitting the scene with a bang in South Africa young leg spinner Mavuta was brought back down to earth against a Bangladeshi side more equiped to face spin bowling, his one wicket cost him over 100 runs and he went at nearly seven an over. He did get the big wicket of Mushfiqur Rahmin but that was as good as it got for Rango as his inability to land the ball consistently in the right areas was punished by Das and Kayes, he showed a willingness to compete with bat and ball again but it will be interesting to see if they pick him in the Test matches after his performances and seeing how tough it was for Natsai M'shangwe last time Zimbabwe played Tests in Bangladesh.

Tendai Chatara - 5/10: Larry bowled a good first spell in the opening ODI taking two wickets but his second spell wasn't as good and he was very wayward in the 2nd ODI before being left out in the final game. He seems to bowl well when he just tries to bowl tight lines but when the pressure to take wickets is on he tries too much and becomes erratic. Hopefully with the improved Jarvis next to him they can become a good opening bowling partnership for the next few years, interesting to see if he plays in the Test series, he hasn't played a Test since 2014 and has been left out of the last three Test matches despite seemingly being fit? He never looks 100% fit so the idea of him bowling 20 overs a day on a seamers' graveyard might force the selectors into keeping him on ice for now.

Wellington Masakadza - 3/10: Only played the one game but didn't look threatening at all, granted the pitch was flat and favouring the batsman but I just don't see what the selectors see in him and I don't think he is much better than the part time options of Raza and Williams. He was unlucky to have Mithun dropped first ball by BT but when the onslaught by Soumya and Kayes was on he just kept serving up balls asking to be hit for 6. I'm still of the opinion Chisoro is a better bowler and from what I've seen young Rugare Magarira looks a brighter prospect.

Craig Ervine - 3/10: Again only played the 1st game after he left for his brother's wedding, his 48 ball 24 was painful to watch and he seems to have lost all confidence and his elegancy at the crease, it's hard to believe this is the same guy who carried the side during the time Taylor was away. I think Ervine is the one guy who will actually benefit from going back to Zimbabwe for the domestic season, I think he needs to face some lessor bowlers and just remind himself how to hit the ball with confidence, I think he will play in the Test series but I'm not sure how he will go I also don't think he should be in first XI for the next ODI they play.

Richard Ngarava - 1/10: Only got the one chance but he seems a mile away from being an international class bowler, he kept serving up balls short and wide which the batsman took full toll of, he's obviously being picked on his height and potential but as Sloandog pointed out his action is riddled with technical errors and he really needs to remodel his action whilst he is still young and has time to change. I'm not ready to write him off for ever but he needs to work on his game big time, it's a shame Streak is not there to help him through this period.

All in all I feel there isn't much progression in the side it's the same old guys doing the same thing under Rajput and despite him blooding a lot of new talent for the home series he seems stuck on the older guys like Chigumbura, Tiripano, Zhuwao, Ervine etc. Im not one to call for a side full of youngsters (we saw how that went) but there are some guys who just shouldn't be near the side. I'm not ready to lay all the blame on him I still think the fact Makoni is the MD means he's sticking his fat head into the selection meetings and overruling the coach. Rajput hasn't had the luxury of playing any associates yet and he had a depleted side for the home matches, but he's been in charge for 17 matches and Zimbabwe has lost them all, I don't blame him but going off the boards dealings with previous coaches I'm sure they are blaming him. With the Tests looking a tough task and the next series booked for March in India I don't know how long he will last.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

zimbos_05

Re: Player ratings for Bangladesh ODI series

Post by zimbos_05 »

By ZC standards, shouldn't Rajput have been sacked by now?

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:31 am
By ZC standards, shouldn't Rajput have been sacked by now?
Well he hasn’t lost to an associate yet which has been the criteria for the two sackings from this board.

Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Black Mamba »

Loosing to an associate can happen any time, as the team 's performance has gone down after the qualifiers. Seems Rajput will not stay till 2019, once he resign he will lash out, then only true picture of ZC will come out related to selection, finance, domestic cricket etc.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Please do a year end review if you have the time Jaybro. I think you are fair. We did play 25 ODIs. Thats enough to really get a grasp of where we stand

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

TapsC wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:40 pm
Please do a year end review if you have the time Jaybro. I think you are fair. We did play 25 ODIs. Thats enough to really get a grasp of where we stand
Yeah ok that’s a good idea, it’s crazy to think how much 50 over cricket we played this year !!!

I’ll start working on it this week if I get a chance at work

Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic)
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic) »

Attachments
8A3F9803-0312-4B30-B5F1-349AC0E72ADE.jpeg
8A3F9803-0312-4B30-B5F1-349AC0E72ADE.jpeg (396.9 KiB) Viewed 2563 times
Zim Rules
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr Satendra Singh, Delhi, India
Twitter: @drsitu

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Good one again Jaybro, it was a great read.

Masakadza and Ervine are gearing up for a really ugly looking year end review if they continue this form. It is already very ugly for them to be honest.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:42 am
Good one again Jaybro, it was a great read.

Masakadza and Ervine are gearing up for a really ugly looking year end review if they continue this form. It is already very ugly for them to be honest.
Thanks CA

Yes I’ve already started drafting things in my head, only 5 scores past 50 combined for the two of them isn’t pretty reading.