[Match Thread] Bangladesh v Zimbabwe : 3 day Practice Match

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: [Match Thread] Bangladesh v Zimbabwe : 3 day Practice Match

Post by Googly »

Welch has just started at Loughborough Uni so presumably will make their side and is hoping to continue where he left off at Surrey next season. He will finally be eligible for County next year, it’s been a very long haul for the poor guy.
I saw him a few months back, he was telling me that in 4 years he’s barely had any coaching, has been picked for about 60 County Two’s games with very little top level preparation and it was only recently that he got the nod to attend any practices, over and above the warm up throw downs. He was very disappointed not to get picked up as he felt he’d almost done enough, but kept getting a string of low scores just after he’d opened the door. He said if he had just been a bit more consistent they might have offered him at least a summer contract. He lost 7 teeth fielding at slip and went out and batted next session and then got a hundred a couple of days later, tell me who does that!
That Surrey side will be very difficult to crack as it’s full of top youngsters, and if he plays for Loughborough he’ll only be available for County a third of the way into the season. He’s a helluva batsman and deserves a big break.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Googly wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:34 pm
Welch has just started at Loughborough Uni so presumably will make their side and is hoping to continue where he left off at Surrey next season. He will finally be eligible for County next year, it’s been a very long haul for the poor guy.
I saw him a few months back, he was telling me that in 4 years he’s barely had any coaching, has been picked for about 60 County Two’s games with very little top level preparation and it was only recently that he got the nod to attend any practices, over and above the warm up throw downs. He was very disappointed not to get picked up as he felt he’d almost done enough, but kept getting a string of low scores just after he’d opened the door. He said if he had just been a bit more consistent they might have offered him at least a summer contract. He lost 7 teeth fielding at slip and went out and batted next session and then got a hundred a couple of days later, tell me who does that!
That Surrey side will be very difficult to crack as it’s full of top youngsters, and if he plays for Loughborough he’ll only be available for County a third of the way into the season. He’s a helluva batsman and deserves a big break.
So I assume you've watched him live in the UK this summer? I watched him on TV against Liam Hurt in the T20 Cup a couple of summers ago and he looked so good. Seriosuly good batter and one we need back.
I agree with you with regards to the talent in the Surrey set up right now. The list is seemingly endless. Battingwise you've got three stupidly good batters in Pope, Jacks and Burns, then there's Stoneman's seniority of Stoneman who had a great end to the season, as well as Jason Roy. Sam and Tom Curran are in the mix, with Jade Durnbach and Rickie Clarke an ever present. The side probably has more names I've missed off the list, like that young spear head Mcker? Meaker and Matt Dunn are still around as well, alongside Gareth Batty. It's a tough nut to crack right now, Surrey C.C. He's done well though to get into Loughborough, he'll smash it with the chicks with his accent! :lol:

Googly

Post by Googly »

off the top of my head the batters at Surrey are Burns, Stoneman, Roy, Borthwick, Finch, Pope, Jacks, Patel, Smith and Curran. The young guns are Pope, Jacks, Smith, Curran and Patel. That is a serious list of batsmen.
Amongst the young guys two play for England and all have or are playing for U19. Pope has the edge on these guys, he’s a helluva player. Smith at 18 is regarded as the best prospect to come through the Surrey system and we’ll see him in the U19 WC. He didn’t do much in Two’s, got a contract and promptly reeled off a couple of big hundreds. I’ll stick my neck out here and say he’s almost got the best back foot cover drive in the game, it’s a thing of beauty.
These guys are only 20! They’re serious players.Surrey have really trail blazed here. They basically won the County championship with 6 twenty year olds in the squad. Then of course there’s Connor Mcker, the young South African quick. Watch that space, he’s been injured for two years, he’s one hostile fast bowler.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Chigumbura not in the Test squad
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement