PJ Moor - the next Tendulkar?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

PJ Moor - the next Tendulkar?

Post by eugene »

I wonder how many Zimbabwean players have boasted such a strong test record so early on? PJ has rightfully been criticised for his mediocre limited overs returns, but his test form is really quite something.

Currently in his seventh test, he has scored 437 runs at 36.41. His four half-centuries have come against New Zealand in Bulawayo, Sri Lanka in Harare, West Indies in Bulawayo, and Bangladesh in Sylhet. The fact that he has done well against a variety of opposition and bowling attacks show that he does indeed have quality. His temperament against Bangladesh in the current test should be commended. He put away certain shots and just persisted with the ones that would guarantee survival and runs. This does not make him limited, it shows how he understands the game and his own batting. I remember when Tendulkar refused to play a single off-side stroke in his innings of 241* against Australia in Sydney in 2003/04 as he had got out cheaply a lot to such shots. Moor and Tendulkar mentioned in the same breath?! Stranger things have happened.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: PJ Moor - the next Tendulkar?

Post by sloandog »

eugene wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:10 pm
I wonder how many Zimbabwean players have boasted such a strong test record so early on? PJ has rightfully been criticised for his mediocre limited overs returns, but his test form is really quite something.

Currently in his seventh test, he has scored 437 runs at 36.41. His four half-centuries have come against New Zealand in Bulawayo, Sri Lanka in Harare, West Indies in Bulawayo, and Bangladesh in Sylhet. The fact that he has done well against a variety of opposition and bowling attacks show that he does indeed have quality. His temperament against Bangladesh in the current test should be commended. He put away certain shots and just persisted with the ones that would guarantee survival and runs. This does not make him limited, it shows how he understands the game and his own batting. I remember when Tendulkar refused to play a single off-side stroke in his innings of 241* against Australia in Sydney in 2003/04 as he had got out cheaply a lot to such shots. Moor and Tendulkar mentioned in the same breath?! Stranger things have happened.
Found this very amusing.
Although maybe not in the same bracket (and as googly rightly pointed out) PJ is on the cusp of becoming a very good batter. It looks like he's beginning to understand his game a lot more. The series against Pakistan was a good example, where scored a gritty 50 and a well rounded 47*.
I think there's a lot left in the tank with this guy and requires persistence. One of the few guys in the side who can clear the ropes to the spinners as well.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

PJ is doing very well and has clearly improved a lot under the guidance of Rajpot, as for the comparisons to Sachin I'll leave that one to the keeper
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

jaybro wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:01 pm
PJ is doing very well and has clearly improved a lot under the guidance of Rajpot
+1

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Detective RDS wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:36 am
jaybro wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:01 pm
PJ is doing very well and has clearly improved a lot under the guidance of Rajpot
+1
He's a solid test cricketer.

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

eugene wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:10 pm

Hami doesn't think so