Finally Mount Hamilton Masakadza Wins

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: Finally Mount Hamilton Masakadza Wins

Post by tawac »

Conant wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:40 am

There's a fast West Indies lad that broke Tatenda Taibu's stumps in that match.
Fidel Edwards! Taibu was telling us that he couldnt see ball because it was just too fast.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

tawac wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:31 pm
Conant wrote:

Fidel Edwards! Taibu was telling us that he couldnt see ball because it was just too fast.
It wasn't Edwards, he played his first test match in 2003, not 2001

zimstarr
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by zimstarr »

D.h
Attachments
Dave houghton 50 vs south africa
Dave houghton 50 vs south africa
Screenshot_20181107-133606_YouTube.jpg (506.87 KiB) Viewed 2623 times

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

One thing I have noticed is that when Hami does well we do much better. Nothing better than having the top order set the tone. Think Sri Lanka last year.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Googly wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:03 am
It’s human nature to feed off your peers. When Flower was playing he dragged everyone up because he was so single minded in his determination to be the best and he believed. The toughest thing is putting in the hard yards in practice when your team mates only show commitment in bursts and they all really have their own agendas, not least of which is just surviving here and trying to make plans to ensure you’re not left holding an empty can at the end of your career.
I have heard that PJ really puts in effort to be the best he can be, and I know that other guys often get side tracked for extended periods. In a better environment we might one day see someone that does bat for a couple of hours a day and set a better precedent.
Thats a lazy excuse for a professional. I only perform better because of the players around me. Yes it can be true to a degree. If you have other around you pushing you and threatening your spot, you put a little extra in. It should not be that way. Regardless of who is around you or who is pushing you, professional sportsmen should be working hard every session and always wanting to be better. Improve on their last innings, or their last match.

It's a sad mentality when you have players going through the motions and not thinking with that professional mindset.

Conant
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Conant »

sloandog wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:49 pm
tawac wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:31 pm
Conant wrote:

It wasn't Edwards, he played his first test match in 2003, not 2001
It was a guy called Colin Stuart. Only played a few Tests and was already in his 30s then. But he was horrifically fast. Here is a link to that score card.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/1552 ... babwe-2001
Last edited by Conant on Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Conant
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Conant »

sloandog wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:44 am
Was the knock of Mazakadza's solid?
I would love to see even a snippet of that innings
Missed at least once. They kept feeding him on the his leg stumps and he kept milking them. I remember, Grant Flower during those days was in very poor form and kept falling over and coming out LBW to anything slightly leg side. Hammy came and showed how you could stay upright and make runs on balls pitched there.
sloandog wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:05 am
jaybro wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:46 am
Alistair Campbell got his 2nd and last Test 💯 that innings as well
Wasn't he supposed to have had as much, if not more, natural ability than Andy Flower? I never saw Campbell bat but my grandad always said he was silky when on song. He said Grant Flower was a grinder, whislt Andy and Campbell were the most fluent in stroke play. The there were the utlitly players in Whittall, Wishart and Carlisle who batted around them
Liked to David Gower in a Wisden article after a maiden tour of Pakistan in I think 1996

Googly

Post by Googly »

Yeah AC was a monumentally talented batsman. He should have had much better stats- the plague of most our players, so much unfulfilled promise and no one can ever quite put a finger on it. He played in a good side so had no excuses. I loved watching him bat, good player and a decent captain as well.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Googly wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:57 pm
Yeah AC was a monumentally talented batsman. He should have had much better stats- the plague of most our players, so much unfulfilled promise and no one can ever quite put a finger on it. He played in a good side so had no excuses. I loved watching him bat, good player and a decent captain as well.
Was he as good as AF in technique

Googly

Post by Googly »

No, but Flower was the best in the world for a year and thereabouts for a couple more, but he had a lot of shots and was brilliant off his pads.