Are Bangladesh arrogant

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kriterion_BD

Re: Are Bangladesh arrogant

Post by Kriterion_BD »

To answer sloandog's question, yeah, there is certainly some arrogance. its a generaliEd Asian trait. I'm mostly talking about the fans though. The players are mostly unassuming. Tamim was brash in his younger days and Shakib was known to say odd things to the media. Mushy gets under people's skin as well with his antics.

In general I support the players. You want to respect the oppositions abilities, but you need to have confidence in your own game as well.

This particular game, we just got outplayed especially in the spin department. And of course our batsmen didn't have any respect for the merit of the deliveries. 321 was chaseable in theory but the batsmen went for big shots when they should have just knocked singles around as the field was very spread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

sloandog wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:09 am

Pakistan have dignity though, you can see they respect their opposition. Afghanistan and Bangladesh appear to mock their opposition more.
Even Mahmadulla's post match words never congratulated Zimbabwe; was nice to see Hammie have a sly dig about our spinners being better than theirs.

I always remember the comments made by Tamim Iqbal about Zimbabwe playing average cricket in their comeback test match in 2011, and then got out to a horrible shot. Taylor went to the press conference and said 'well his shot was pretty average wasn't it' :lol:

I'm just thinking about this stupid dance they do, or the send offs and the stares. Annoys me because they're not as good as they think they are
Which Pakistan are you talking about it? Is it the one that shamelessly committed the biggest genocide since the Holocaust in 1971? I will concede that has nothing to do with the cricket team but...

...too many PAK players have consistently displayed contempt for the game of cricket and in some instances for their opponents. A running list:

- Shoaib taking steroids
- Amir and Asif engaging in spot fixing
- numerous ball tampering allegations
- they probably had the most biased home umpires before neutral umpires were instituted in Test cricket
- Rashid Latif statement essentially saying that he is proud of cheating in the Multan Test vs Bangladesh in 2003 and that it was his patriotic duty as the captain to ensure his team didn't lose to Bangladesh.

And my personal favorite: begging the BCCI to play bilateral series. At least man up and embrace poverty rather than going to your supposed enemy and begging for handouts.

As far as the comments made by Hamilton and Chatara (he took a dig at the BD batsmen)...they are certainly true, I can't deny that. But Hammie and Chats are talking after just 1 win - granted a big win. But the BD boys have made a career out of beating Zimbabwe for better than a decade now. Surely, they are allowed to make some snide comments here and there I think.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:01 am
But the BD boys have made a career out of beating Zimbabwe for better than a decade now. Surely, they are allowed to make some snide comments here and there I think.
Made a Career out of beating Zimbabwe in ODI's in their own backyard.

The fact Bangladesh hasn't toured Zimbabwe since 2013 when they lost the ODI series (Tests & t20s drawn) and Zimbabwe has toured there 5 times since has served to give Bangladesh bragging rights over Zimbabwe, granted Zimbabwe should have won at least a few ODI's in that time but until Bangladesh tour Zimbabwe and win I think they should show some respect.

This isn't the first time the BD guys have shown no respect to Zimbabwe and they've been punished once again.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:40 am

Made a Career out of beating Zimbabwe in ODI's in their own backyard.
Thats not entirely true.

We've won ODI series in Zimbabwe on a couple of occaisions and have never lost a Test series since the 2004 rebel crisis. Moreover, we have still won more games in Zimbabwe than we've lost, albeit its close.

Individually, I'm quite sure Mushy, Tamim, and Shakib have better career averages against New Zealand or India or Pakistan as they do against Zimbabwe. Well OK, just checked and they don't. But, they've had plenty of match winning and top class performances against the top 6 teams home and away so its not just making a career out of inflating stats against Zimbabwe at home only.
This isn't the first time the BD guys have shown no respect to Zimbabwe and they've been punished once again.

Well this is sloandog's opinion as stated in the OP. I agree, but its got to be analyzed in context (ie using the same standard for all teams). Hammy and Chatara could also be construed to be arrogant, no? Difference is they did it after winning 1 game in the last 20 or so attempts. Its understandable because this win means a lot to the players and the fans. Hammy and and Chatara have every right to troll BD and BD deserves to be trolled. They crushed us in our own backyard, beat us at our own game (using spinners). I'm just saying, put yourself in BD players' shoes. When Tamim made those comments about Jarvis and Vitori in 2011 or Shakib in 2009, Bangladesh was a young team that rarely won. So naturally they went a little overboard prematurely. They do so now and I concede its obnoxious. Even most BD fans don't appreciate it, but I'm not most BD fans. I find that little bit of shit talking to be entertaining and adds flavor to the game. Within reason of course. I don't think people should make remarks about people's race, religion, or family. But trolling the oppositions spin attack or calling some bowlers ordinary is well within the bounds of reason I think.

I feel like ZCF throws around this respect allegation too liberally. I've seen a number of people say the Irish don't respect Zimbabwe or the Afghans don't respect Zimbabwe and now that BD don't respect Zimbabwe. Maybe its true, but do you want Zimbabwe to respect Nepal or UAE?

In the end its natural for fans to want respect from others while wanting to disrespect others. It comes from the competitiveness inherent in sports. For one team to win, the other has to lose.

I could have opened a thread about Hammy or Chatara's comments. The fact that I didn't doesn't mean I liked them or agreed with them or enjoyed reading/hearing them. It just means that I acknowledge their right to dish out a little trash talk when they're on top.

I just think other teams retain that same right in return.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Pakistan are the original grubs of the game.

Kriterion ran off what we know, not what we suspect, nor what else we DONT know.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

To be honest the only thing that annoys me is that Bangladesh appeals EVERYTHING. Like seriously. It kind of kills the sportsmanship if you appeal when everybody saw the ball was hit into the ground for example

I was watching towards the end of the game when one of the tailenders was beaten by a Mavuta delivery. Hami just asked Chakabva in disbelief like how did he not edge that. Man if that was Mushy we know he would have appealed even though he knows nothing happened. That is seriously annoying.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

TapsC wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:20 am
To be honest the only thing that annoys me is that Bangladesh appeals EVERYTHING. Like seriously. It kind of kills the sportsmanship if you appeal when everybody saw the ball was hit into the ground for example

I was watching towards the end of the game when one of the tailenders was beaten by a Mavuta delivery. Hami just asked Chakabva in disbelief like how did he not edge that. Man if that was Mushy we know he would have appealed even though he knows nothing happened. That is seriously annoying.
You can't compare Hami to Mushy though. Hami comes off as very disinterested. His post match tone after winning this Test was EXACTLY the same as his tone after the 3rd ODI. He didn't smile, he didn't have a twinkle in his eye when winning. And he didn't have a frown or sound dejected when they lost. Guy has complete flat affect to the point that it was very peculiar. So I can't see him appealing for anything.

Mushy wears his heart on his sleeves. Most Asians do. Look how animated the Afghan team is or how how Pakistani fast bowlers celebrate their wickets. Bengalis are an emotional bunch. But I do agree Mushy appeals a bit too much. But half the time its not a serious appeal. Its more just a shout of surprise. You can tell the difference between his legit appeals which are higher pitched and much longer in duration.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

You dish it you have to receive it

You're right though it adds colour to the competition which is good for the game
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

I don't think Bangla boys are arrogant. Nice team, nice people. Many a times teams go over the top with their celebrations but only Bangladesh get criticized often. They are very passionate about their cricket, so sometimes you can get excited. Nothing arrogant about that.

I however didn't like the fact thst Mahmudullah didn't even congratulate Zimbabwe on a famous win. That was poor sportsmanship.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

sam_ahm wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:15 am
I don't think Bangla boys are arrogant. Nice team, nice people. Many a times teams go over the top with their celebrations but only Bangladesh get criticized often. They are very passionate about their cricket, so sometimes you can get excited. Nothing arrogant about that.

I however didn't like the fact thst Mahmudullah didn't even congratulate Zimbabwe on a famous win. That was poor sportsmanship.
This is true. BD team gets criticized for things other teams do all day. In the Nidahas Trophy game vs Sri Lanka, BD team was criticized for Shakib who wanted to pull the team off to protest the umpire's decision not to call a wide. Were the same people criticizing Inzy when he forefeited that England Test for ball tampering allegations?

BD team never acknowledges the opposition's achievements. Every now and then they will shake hands with a centurion or double centurion, but I can't remember them ever saying hats off. Granted most of the time Bangladesh defeats themselves. But this game, it was actually ZIM who outplayed us start to finish.