Which continued selection is worse? Chari or Chigumbura?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Which continued selection is worse? Chari or Chigumbura?

Post by jaybro »

Yeah ok I wouldn’t know I’m just guessing from a long distance away, it just seemed odd that in Sri Lanka he was batting at 8 then when Tari replaces him he went to 3

If he is keen to open we might see him in for the next test perhaps ?
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Surprised more players don’t put their hand up to bat as openers at least in the ODIs when the field is up. Hard ball doesn’t take much to pound to the fence. Lost premier players around the world doing it now
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

Can we add Waller to the list because his continued selection also raised questions as well. It will be interesting to see if Chigumbura makes it on the next tour. Until the Pakistani tour to Zim he was all but forgotten. He wasn't even getting runs in domestics games which was painful to watch for a player who had so much promise. His selection was more a question of having some experience in the side than anything else because of the pay dispute at the time. The options were very limited. The fact that he actually put in half decent performances meant he couldn't be dropped as easy for the SA and Bang tour.
Chari is probably the best ‘young opener’ on the domestic scene atm, but there aren’t really many around are there unless we try Kamhukunkamwe and give him the same allowances of Chari?
Kamunhukamwe's first class stats haven't been anything to right home about. He shouldn't be anywhere near a test team. He had a terrible season and never really got going. Its only in the limited overs that he found some footing. So the shelve is very much bare. Cant really blame Chari he is pretty much all we've got. The only other opener we have is Chibhabha perhaps the makeshift one Mire. So if Burl/Masukanda aren't really going to open I don't see any bais there.
Rajput has picked him because he is an opener and Rajput seems like he is a ‘conventional thinker’ when it comes to his line ups, we haven’t seen any funky selections like Streak used to try like Opening with the keeper in a Test or Playing an 8-3. He likes to have players play the role that beat suits them, so I’d be surprised if he picks a middle order player to open.
I generally subscribe to this line of thought. Having an unconventional opener is bound to fail much like the Mire experiment. Just maybe if guys like Masvaure or Mutizwa were given a chance to show up the middle order then just maybe we could have BT opening again.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

tawac wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:28 pm
Can we add Waller to the list because his continued selection also raised questions as well
Not a valid comparison. Waller isn’t in the team atm. Waller is more of a Regis. Both flatter to deceive. Tear up the domestic scene and play the odd brilliant knock then go missing. Then they dominate the Logan Cup. Rinse and repeat.

Elton and Brian haven’t done well in the Logan cup which is mind boggling.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:11 pm
This is what annoys me, they don't even warrant a spot, when there's younger guys who do.
There's a clear bias which is ridiculous. Nyumbu will be in next test with Mavuta being 'rested'

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
tawac wrote:
Can we add Waller to the list because his continued selection also raised questions as well
Not a valid comparison. Waller isn’t in the team atm. Waller is more of a Regis. Both flatter to deceive. Tear up the domestic scene and play the odd brilliant knock then go missing. Then they dominate the Logan Cup. Rinse and repeat.

Chakabva's Test record is okay by Zim standards.
Scored a hundred away from home, has batted to save a Test, knows how to defend.

I wouldn't put him in the flatter-to-deceive category. He's solid at this level.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Elton at least you have that stupid belief he might do something spectacular like the old days. Chari has played 60 first class games. 60! By Zimbabwean standards that is a whole career. He has played more first class cricket at 26 than Raza and Williams but he is still useless. Just 5 less than Ervine. He will never make it. Thats just the hard truth. Its interesting because every single coach has picked him. They must see something in training.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

tawac wrote:

Kamunhukamwe's first class stats haven't been anything to right home about. He shouldn't be anywhere near a test team. He had a terrible season and never really got going. Its only in the limited overs that he found some footing. So the shelve is very much bare. Cant really blame Chari he is pretty much all we've got. The only other opener we have is Chibhabha perhaps the makeshift one Mire. So if Burl/Masukanda aren't really going to open I don't see any bais there.

Chari averaged 20 when he debuted !!!! 20 in Logan Cup FFS

Anyways I was more mentioning Kamhukunkamwe as he looks a better player and since they’re giving Chari a decent run despite his lack of runs they might say Kamhukunkamwe is our guy let’s give him a good run at it and see how he goes.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

sloandog wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:51 pm
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
This is what annoys me, they don't even warrant a spot, when there's younger guys who do.
There's a clear bias which is ridiculous. Nyumbu will be in next test with Mavuta being 'rested'
Too have any chance of making it internationally you must dominate the low quality Logan Cup. It’s logical, and is true for Taylor, Williams, raza, Ervine, hammy and our best guys who get century after century and make it oook easy. If you can’t score runs against 120 km/hr attacks and essentially park cricketers, what hope do you have at the top? You can’t fail at Logan Cup and be solid internationally (unless you don’t take Logan Cup serious).

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

The Dogg is right

And that’s why you can’t put Waller & Regis in the same bracket as Chari or Elton because those two guys always do well in Logan Cup.

I will say though I reckon opening in Logan Cup would be a nightmare, I would imagine the pitches would be fairly dodgy and I doubt they would be covered properly or often?

Tim Paine recently said even in Australia the domestic wickets are very ‘friendly’ for medium pacers that’s why guys like Chad Sayers and Trent Copeland take wickets for fun, and why most shield batsman have averaged in the mid 30’s