[Match Thread] Bangladesh vs Zimbabwe, 2nd Test, Dhaka

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: [Match Thread] Bangladesh vs Zimbabwe, 2nd Test, Dhaka

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

TapsC wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:17 am
jaybro wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:59 am
Just read through the last 20 pages here, a lot of junk being posted but im happy to see AndyBliggz back

I will comment though about Hamilton taking off Tiripano for Williams, the reason was so we could always have 1 seamer bowling at one end to avoid the train wreck in the first innings where we had 2 spinners going for 5 an over which is where we let the game slip away. Everyone is quick to lay the boo into poor old Hamilton but I can see what he was trying to do.

The Chatara injury really hurt us, it's hard to judge exactly how many runs it's cost us but I'd say over 100 easy.

Zimbabwe have been unlucky with injuries in Test matches against Bangladesh, in the 2nd test in 2013 which was won by Bangladesh Meth got injured and couldn't bowl in the 2nd dig, also effected his batting.
Test cricket is basically about capitalizing on pressure moments. The very best teams can be bowled out for 80 in a test because of pressure. They were 10-3 with no runs coming. Mithun is on debut. He got 0 the last game. Williams gets put on and they started scoring. Hami brings back Don and he gets Mushy with his first delivery. 26-4.Hami even asked Jarv if he is ok and he said he can bowl till he gets him out. He was talking about Mushy at that point.

If it was the first innings I would understand but now it was do or die. For 5 minutes we had a sniff back into the game. 78-4 could have been 50-6. Riyad has been off form but he was smacking the spin around. They were bowling brilliantly. Bangladeshi players face Taijul everyday in the nets. The chances of Williams troubling them on relatively flat pitch compared to the first test are almost 0
I agree with this. I recognise jaybro's point, but as you said this is a do-or-die situation - you keep the seamers on for as long as they are taking wickets. Our spinners have been useless in this match, we shouldn't have turned to them until we absolutely had to. And even then, Masakadza should have bowled himself from one end.

But it's all too little too late now.

The only question is can we hang on to 7 wickets in 3 sessions. I can't see it, but we had a reasonable start. Two people need to face 200 balls. I'd send Moor in next, then Chakabva, then Raza and Tiripano.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:13 am
You won't see an easier 100

Can't believe he has played 8 years between hundreds, I don't even think a Zimbabwean batsman would get such a long run between 100's

Our spinners were hopeless in this match pretty much going at 5 an over
Yeah Riyad isn’t getting dropped now. Fucking timing. He should be dropped for Mosaddek or Nurul Hasan.

I’ve been pleasantly surprised by Khaled Ahmed. Nice tall bowler and has produced more genuine chances than any other fast bowler in this match. Has hit 140 kph as well but needs to add 2-3 clicks to his average pace. Too many deliveries at 133 instead of 136.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Really hope Khaled gets 2-3 wickets tomorrow. He deserves it as he’s been the best fast bowler from either side in terms of getting genuine chances to hand. Fizz has been poor but he will turn up whenever we need him.

We only have 2 spinners so they will either have to take wickets quickly because they can’t juat bowl 45 overs unchanged apiece. Good thing our seamers are at least decent for once lol.

Should be a hell of a final day, but unless we get both Taylor and Willy in the first 20 overs tomorrow, we will Ben nervous.

But we are a terrific 4th innings bowling side. England were 100-0 chasing 270 and we polished them off in a single session. Australia with Warner and Smith were 150-3 chasing 240 and we managed to hold on for a narrow 20 run win there.

ZIM could bat till tea just 2 down but our bowlers will still back themselves.

For ZIM, they can’t go into a blockathon. Chari has proven my point that [controlled] attacking is the best defense.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Good day of cricket, once again Zimbabwe impressed with both bat and ball but the 1st innings lead is just too much.

Very difficult to see Zimbabwe hold on for a draw, I'd expect this to end by Tea time tomorrow. Don't want to sound so pessimistic but on a 5th day subcontinent wicket, it is often difficult to survive a session let alone an entire day.

In the best of scenarios, Taylor and Williams will have to bat at least half a day to save this.

Googly

Post by Googly »

The one thing we do have in our favor is that it’s orobably going to be the best 5th day sub-continent pitch that has ever had a game of cricket played on it. It’s starting to go but it may be half reasonable until lunch.
Chari gave his wicket away, but he played well.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Great to see Chari delivering on his potential. We have so few openers so it is imperative someone steps up to the plate.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

eugene wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:53 pm
Great to see Chari delivering on his potential. We have so few openers so it is imperative someone steps up to the plate.
I've been his biggest critic, but I agree, he looked pretty damn good today, especially when he was hitting over the top.
Still wanna see Burl or Tari incorporated in the side somehow.

The Robot
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by The Robot »

After getting two blows in the helmet. Chari stood up, a quick learner and getting success for playing positive cricket, want to see him playing club cricket in the sub continent to improve his game.
Robo to rule :oops:

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

I think both sides know that Williams and Taylor are going to decide the game.

I am happy for Chari too. I guess it was a confidence thing. I want to see how his domestic season goes because there is an ODI opening slot also available. This might be one of the best domestic seasons we have had in a while. There is increased competition. Especially with only 4 sides.

All 4 teams are going to get maybe 3 rising stars each. There are 3 generations of players available now. The BT/Williams generation. The PJ/Mire/Mutombodzi generation and the young guns. It wont be that easy to get a game if everybody plays. I wonder how the squads are setup. I also hope the likes of BT dont start suddenly missing games. This always seems to happen. They are key for competitiveness.

Sidenote after watching Jarvis bowl this test series how on earth did Zhuwao score 265 with him on the field? :o

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Jarvis has been unreal in this test series. He's not stopped asking those important questions and he's had the dividends