[Match Thread] Bangladesh vs Zimbabwe, 2nd Test, Dhaka

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: [Match Thread] Bangladesh vs Zimbabwe, 2nd Test, Dhaka

Post by jaybro »

Googly wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:07 am
That leggie is getting it to fizz, damn it’s going to be tricky keeping him out.

What leggie ??

Bangladesh don’t have a leggie
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Googly wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:19 am
BT is not the best gloveman, Murray is.
You might be right but I haven't seen enough if Murray to say that with confidence plus he isn't available for selection atm. From reports Mayavo from the Rhinos has the best pair of hands behind the stumps but obviously not as good a batsman.
Conant wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:51 am

One swallow does not a summer make but just as I have already been vindicated on Chari in two short innings, and so I will be proved right about Chakabva because I don't view players with biased lances.
You keep saying 'One swallow doesn't make a summer' but the facts are Regis has missed multiple chances of the spinners in the Sri Lanka Test, the Windies series and now the Bangladesh tour, for a side like Zimbabwe who need to make every chance count they can't afford their keeper to miss so many chances.

Are you accusing me of being biased??
Conant wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:51 am

Murray is the only wicket keeper better than Chakabva, not Taylor. And no, nobody has answered this question still: Why bother with Chakabva if you can just hand the gloves over to Taylor? Somebody said workload. :lol:
Tell me Conant how many Top 4 batsman keep wicket in Test cricket ???? Please tell me??? The answer is none because you don't want your premier batsman having to spend 150 overs crouching then trying to bat for 3 hours.

Rahim, ABDV, Andy Flower, McCullum, Sanga and even Taibu have all either given up the gloves or moved down the order at some point as they try to juggle both responsibilities. They obviously want to keep BT in the top 4 so Regis is the next best 'keeper batsman'.

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

It’s very hard for myself to keep up with this game , starting my own business and organising my best mates bucks stag for this Saturday has not allowed me to stream the game . I did manage to watch pj bat and see Taylor get his ton . I’m not sure why a majority are disappointed in zim , we were given completely zero chance this test series ( considering we never get game time either ) the boys are showing more resilience and performing better than the likes of aus and South Africa in the sub continent for god sakes !!! I am so proud and happy the way the boys have conducted themselves these two tests . Yes there’s a chance we could get rolled today and Bangladesh equal the series and we go home a bit disappointed , but shit have a thought about what we actually have accomplished . Chari was written off by everyone including myself and he has shown he is a test batter , gets wacked in the head , still goes on it with ( massive heart ) played the tino role for us perfectly , Jarvis has been class on spin friendly wickets . Taylor made runs when we needed him the most and the most special find has been PJ , has proven he can adapt and learn the sign of a good player . This is the old zim , even if we don’t win just showing heart and sticking it up to the big boys . I know Bangladesh aren’t the greatest team but my lord for no minute are they easy beats . The coach has breathed fresh air into this group and seems to be getting a response from challenging the lads. I’m confident we can block today out and win the series , I truely am . The world will take notice , all my friends here in aus have even commented saying we deserve more tests . Anyway I am that proud of the boys , cumon zim bring it home you good thing 🇿🇼🇿🇼
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Andybligzz wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:42 pm
It’s very hard for myself to keep up with this game , starting my own business and organising my best mates bucks stag for this Saturday has not allowed me to stream the game . I did manage to watch pj bat and see Taylor get his ton . I’m not sure why a majority are disappointed in zim , we were given completely zero chance this test series ( considering we never get game time either ) the boys are showing more resilience and performing better than the likes of aus and South Africa in the sub continent for god sakes !!! I am so proud and happy the way the boys have conducted themselves these two tests . Yes there’s a chance we could get rolled today and Bangladesh equal the series and we go home a bit disappointed , but shit have a thought about what we actually have accomplished . Chari was written off by everyone including myself and he has shown he is a test batter , gets wacked in the head , still goes on it with ( massive heart ) played the tino role for us perfectly , Jarvis has been class on spin friendly wickets . Taylor made runs when we needed him the most and the most special find has been PJ , has proven he can adapt and learn the sign of a good player . This is the old zim , even if we don’t win just showing heart and sticking it up to the big boys . I know Bangladesh aren’t the greatest team but my lord for no minute are they easy beats . The coach has breathed fresh air into this group and seems to be getting a response from challenging the lads. I’m confident we can block today out and win the series , I truely am . The world will take notice , all my friends here in aus have even commented saying we deserve more tests . Anyway I am that proud of the boys , cumon zim bring it home you good thing 🇿🇼🇿🇼

Yeah well said 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

jaybro wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:02 am

Why do you think fast bowlers rarely bowl long spells??

I'll tell you it's because if they bowl longer spells they fatigue too much, they only have so many overs in them and the more you bowl in a row you decrease that overall total they can get out in a day.
Can't agree with this. Have watched tests where fast bowlers have bowled 9-10 over spells, sometimes a little longer. Have seen innings where teams have only ever used 4 bowlers the whole day - 3 seamers and 1 spinner

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:15 pm

Can't agree with this. Have watched tests where fast bowlers have bowled 9-10 over spells, sometimes a little longer. Have seen innings where teams have only ever used 4 bowlers the whole day - 3 seamers and 1 spinner
They only had 2 seamers mate that's the big difference, they knew once the spinners came on they'd go at 5 an over and lose control of the match (which they did) at least this way they delayed the scoring for while

If you watched the interview with the coach after the game they asked him why they took Tiripano off and no surprise the answer was because they wanted to make sure they had 1 seamer on from an end because the spinners lost control of the game in the first innings.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

jaybro wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:34 pm

They only had 2 seamers mate that's the big difference, they knew once the spinners came on they'd go at 5 an over and lose control of the match (which they did) at least this way they delayed the scoring for while

If you watched the interview with the coach after the game they asked him why they took Tiripano off and no surprise the answer was because they wanted to make sure they had 1 seamer on from an end because the spinners lost control of the game in the first innings.
I'm aware of our situation in the match without Chatara, my point was general. You said fast bowlers don't bowl all day, which was false. In the situation we had, I would have probably given Hammy an over or two because he would still be using more pace than the spinners. If you know the spinners are going to get hit, you adapt, or the spinners change up their bowling.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:30 am
jaybro wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:34 pm

I'm aware of our situation in the match without Chatara, my point was general. You said fast bowlers don't bowl all day, which was false. In the situation we had, I would have probably given Hammy an over or two because he would still be using more pace than the spinners. If you know the spinners are going to get hit, you adapt, or the spinners change up their bowling.
That’s not what I said lol you’re making shit up go back and look what I wrote.

And you’re going off subject now saying Hami should have bowled or the spinners needed to change up the or bowling.

Facts remain Hamilton only had 2 bowlers he could rely on and he wanted to have at least one on from an end for as long as possible which I think was the right call. Also remember this was the second innings of ‘back to back tests’ Jarvis has bowled a lot of overs in tough conditions, his second and third spells were down on pace and energy after his opening spell of 6 overs.

You guys aren’t taking all aspects into consideration when looking at this, you’re just seeing 4-25 attack attack attack

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

The thing you blokes are failing to see was the ‘goal’ the side set out to achieve in the 3rd innings.

Trailing by 218 (which is a record 4th innings chase in BD) the side had already conceded they couldn’t win as BT said in an interview. So the main goal would have been to make sure they keep Bangladesh out there batting as long as possible to reduce the amount of overs they’d have to bat.

The way to keep BD out there for longer was to keep control of the Run Rate for as long as possible, obviously taking wickets is the best way to keep the run rate down and after having them 4-25 they had done really well.

But at this point let’s look at the game situation it’s only into the first hour of the Day 4 and Bangladesh lead by 243, let’s say they went for the kill and left Tiripano & Jarvis on and they bowled 10 overs straight each and they ripped through them. Which is what you guys think could have happened right??

Let’s say from 4-25 they bowled them out for 55 (which is pretty unlikely but no matter) BD would have set Zimbabwe 273 for victory with roughly 5 sessions to get it or get to survive. I’d say that would be the max Zimbabwe could have chased but the chances are slim and also the chances of them bowling them out for 55 were even slimmer.

Let’s say they bowled them out for 70 still pretty slim considering they would have had to use the spinners, that would leave Zimbabwe roughly 290 to win and still about 5 sessions to survive.

100? That would leave them 318 to win with still over 4 sessions to survive. Both outcomes very hard to see Zimbabwe achieving.

As you can see bowling them out cheaply which would have been highly unlikely wouldn’t have really done Zimbabwe any favours. The best case for Zimbabwe was to only have to bat 4 sessions which thanks to Mahmudullah wanting his 100 they got their wish.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

We won a test and have the chance to take the other deep into Day 5. Pretty good outcome for the series.

I will hope for a miracle too.