[Match Thread] Bangladesh vs Zimbabwe, 2nd Test, Dhaka

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: [Match Thread] Bangladesh vs Zimbabwe, 2nd Test, Dhaka

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Yeah, well done to Chari for bringing up a half-century. I didn't see much of him batting so I can't really comment on that, but I'm glad he put up a good score.

I'm still not convinced he's a viable solution for us, I think he has a FC average of 24.67 for a reason. If there was a 3rd Test you'd keep him on the team on the back of this, but if we don't play another Test for 6 months has he done enough to keep his spot?

Mr Twig

Post by Mr Twig »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:56 am
Yeah, well done to Chari for bringing up a half-century. I didn't see much of him batting so I can't really comment on that, but I'm glad he put up a good score.

I'm still not convinced he's a viable solution for us, I think he has a FC average of 24.67 for a reason. If there was a 3rd Test you'd keep him on the team on the back of this, but if we don't play another Test for 6 months has he done enough to keep his spot?
Only if he continues to score big runs in the Logan Cup. Tino will want his spot back and if he also scores big runs then i'd rather him.

Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Black Mamba »

Mr Twig wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:11 pm
brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:56 am

Only if he continues to score big runs in the Logan Cup. Tino will want his spot back and if he also scores big runs then i'd rather him.
Tino is more interested in commentry then Logan Cup

eugene

Post by eugene »

A disappointing loss but a 1-1 series result is much better than I expected. Any test victory, let alone an overseas one deserves to be savoured.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Googly

Post by Googly »

The old adage of you can’t hide in test cricket holds true, particularly in a series, even a two test series.
Obviously you can just have a poor time of it because that’s cricket, but you can generally see who’s got the goods and who really isn’t up for it.
In that regard I have to say again how good PJ is becoming. He’s a shoe in for every format- whilst he’s been slow before in the shorter formats he is absolutely capable of changing gear as he has real ability.
Chari I was pleasantly surprised at. First and foremost he’s got a set of gonads, which is vital as an opener, it’s the toughest gig in cricket. He has hard hands, as have a couple of the other guys. A ragging ball just back of a length you should be able to clear your hands as well, that’s just reactions and ball sense and being prepared to wear it. Also he has a poor habit of not getting his head to the ball and I felt that his overly aggressive batting was because he didn’t really have a proper plan you can only hit your way out of trouble once in a while. That get out shot of his in the second innings was only trumped by Mavuta’s ridiculous sweep. He got two half decent scores with a couple of let offs, but on the whole did ok and I would guess he will be retained for the next test, but partly because they’re looking for an excuse to retain him, and at the expense of Burl who you will find will be more capable if he gets the same opportunities. You can’t have a guy with those numbers opening for an international side. I feel for him because we have no continuity and he can’t solidify what he’s taken from this. He’s not going to be much better next time out and the guys capable of being better are sitting out.
I don’t know what to say about Reggie. He didn’t have a great time of it with the gloves and then got run out so didn’t have a chance to become a hero in the second dig.
Mavuta just has a whole lot of work to do and he probably needs to sit down and watch a few tests on his computer and see what it means to try and grind out a draw because that was bloody annoying watching him do that.
His bowling was disastrous and he couldn’t even get a googly going, but it is the toughest bowling discipline and he has got a lot of potential, his batting however is more optimistic enthusiasm than ability at this level.
Hammy’s get out shot was pretty thoughtless as well, and it’s the way his career has gone- he looks the part and then plays a low percentage shot out of the blue. He should not have been trying to turn that ball like that- it wasn’t quite there and he should have waited on it and dinked it. He’s always going to be good enough to make the team in any format, which is possibly why he hasn’t achieved what his immense talent should have allowed him to. I don’t think he’s a particularly good captain, he’s too quiet and not pro-active enough. I’d say the same for BT- all the knowledge and ability but is he a good leader? I think you can get PTSD playing for Zim, never mind captaining the side and having to deal with all the politics as well.
PJ has captain written all over him, but not quite yet, he has to establish himself a bit more first. The muppets calling for Tari to captain before he’s even a regular in the side just shows what we’re dealing with. We just have to let this black white thing go and pick the right people for the job.
Jarvis and Chats were bloody excellent.
Tiripano was ok, he’s a solid cricketer.
Williams is a good player and almost on a par with BT against spin.
I’m not sure what to say about Raza’s batting, he don’t get a chance to show us what he’s got this time around, but we know he can play.
We did fairly well on the whole and hats off to the coach, they’re looking much better as a unit.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Moor was excellent this series and showcased himself fantastically.
BT showed why he's out best batter, while Jarvis showed the same with the pip.

Lots to take away from this for sure, but I think the sooner Ryan Murray is available, the better. I know it won't be for a while but he needs to be picked at every available opportunity.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

jaybro wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:57 am
TapsC wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:53 am

If it is quiet then they should have maybe extended the domestic season. That definitely means there will be no test cricket in Zim for a while. We should use a quiet year maybe to focus on the youngsters and get some A games.
2019 is apparently all about 'survival' for ZC they'll look to work on reducing their debt and will rely on the new ODI league for constant fixtures and a source of income in 2020.

Sounds really bleak for 2019 unless ZC can find someone to host them, there is the tour of Ireland as well but they also have financial difficulties regarding hosting Test matches.

Maybe the Netherlands or Scotland would like to host Zimbabwe?
Going by the FTP, I think from july onwards Zimbabwe have good fixtures, nothing much in the first half except for a short tour of India.

If we see Afghanistan, Ireland, Scotland, Netherlands, Zimbabwe, none of them get enough fixtures while the same old teams keep playing each other for a zillionth time. Look at Sri Lanka, the kind of results they have achieved lately and still they play almost 12 months a year.

kudet
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by kudet »

dissapointing that we threw it in the second session, BT and PJ did well and so did Jarv with the ball, hats off to Chari.. he defied the odds despite a handful of chances he got to register his second test 50.. if he just calms down and stick to the basics, i am quite sure he can forge a decent career.. Hammy was good in parts with his captaincy.. although i felt he let the game drift a little bit in Bangla's second innings.. and him getting out to soft dismissals was so amateurish.. it is in the second test that cremer's absence was really felt.. his experience would have come in handy i guess.. mavuta has promise but he really needs to work on his control and variations.. same as young welly.. raza mmh he wasnt really impressive with the bat and was quite decent with the ball. williams found ways to throw it away but he was overly good tho in parts.. over and above.. we played well above expectations and its sad that our next match is in april.. its one step fwd and 15 steps back.. sad that slug and burl didnt get a gig, but im sure he (slug) will be the first to admit that he has been woefully out of sorts..

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

PJ really did play well. I think he has done enough to be promoted up the order since he doesnt bowl as well. I think he could even have batted above Williams and Raza at number 4. Thats the best way to put some confidence in him.

This domestic season he should try open the batting in List As and bat at 3 in the logan cup pushing BT to 4. I think the number 3 spot is where he is eventually going to settle. I would love to see him and Tino Mawoyo bat together one day.

The next test is probably against Ireland in what I would assume would be seam friendly conditions. So we will probably see many changes. I think BT is more comfortable keeping in those conditions than against spin so that should make us a lot stronger.

eugene

Post by eugene »

I wish we could host Sri Lanka for a series, I think they are ripe for the picking.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes