Lalchand rajput's Short term Evaluation

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Andybligzz
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Lalchand rajput's Short term Evaluation

Post by Andybligzz »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:07 am
To be honest i struggle to understand what a coach does for an international cricket team outside of selection and motivation.
It’s like a teacher at school , if they believe in you and you struggle with say anxiety or confidence if the get to know you and show belief it can take you to a new level . Everyone is different and reacts different . I think he has shown one a great job , that’s just my opinion though .
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

Andybligzz
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Andybligzz »

Andybligzz wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:25 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:07 am
To be honest i struggle to understand what a coach does for an international cricket team outside of selection and motivation.
It’s like a teacher at school , if they believe in you and you struggle with say anxiety or confidence if the get to know you and show belief it can take you to a new level . Everyone is different and reacts different . I think he has done a great job , that’s just my opinion though .
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

He came in at a very difficult time and with so many things going on. I am going to give him time. I think that test win was his only victory so far. He will obviously get a pass because we were missing the senior players at a certain point but I am hoping he improves our results against Afghanistan especially.

We need a long term objective. What is he trying to achieve exactly? Where do we stand in world cricket? When will we scratch the senior players?

My biggest fear is that we can become so obsessed with results that we push the senior players to keep playing. If these guys stick around for another 5 years we will certainly start winning games but when they are gone we will be left with nothing. Cricketers can play until they are 36/37.

So thats what Rajput has to work on. A combination of youth and experience. Thats his most important task. We cant have kids sitting on the sidelines for years just waiting for a chance. We have to pick 3 or 4 kids and back them fully with a long run in the team. This to me is more important than the odd t20 win against India because Elton had a good day after 20 failures.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

The first brave step would be to name a younger captain. That is a clear sign of a change of direction.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Considering what he has had to work with, he seems to have done well. Not really sure how much of the team selection is his, so reserving judgement on that. He needs to start dropping players and being ruthless in that department. Start bringing in the youngsters.

Also want to know how much of an effect he is having in terms of developing players. Is he actually working on the basics like technique, stance, run ups, how to catch, how to field, etc etc.

He needs to also change the captain. What we also really need to know is what is his objective. His goals. His aim. How is he going to achieve this point by point.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I never really get the role of a coach in a big team.
You’re supposed to have a batting coach, but not sure who that is at the moment. You’re supposed to have a fielding coach and a bowling coach, so presumably he’s supposed to co-ordinate everyone’s efforts and assume more of a managerial role?

Googly

Post by Googly »

He definitely has an input in the selection, but historically ZC succumb to input from all kinds of outside influences.

Googly

Post by Googly »

The only upside of being our coach is the financial package and there’s no guarantee of payment of that either. After years of poor results and umpteen coaches we all know it’s not the coach.

Googly

Post by Googly »

As soon as any coach has any ideas that don’t suit what the hierarchy like it’s the beginning of the end for him. They start chipping away through a couple of the players, the media and the general grapevine (the African way) and his situation becomes untenable.
It remains to be seen whether he’s a yes man or not and that will dictate the length of his tenure.

Googly

Post by Googly »

And don’t talk to any two or more white players on their own because you will be deemed to be hatching a colonial take over :lol: It will be deemed an illegal gathering and there is actually a law against it I think. The terror of that is real. :lol: