Bangladesh Test Series Ratings

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Bangladesh Test Series Ratings

Post by jaybro »

I think we can all agree that the boys did exceptionally well in this series despite their recent troubles with spin in these conditions and lack of match practice in Test Cricket. Although the team totals were similar to that of last time Zimbabwe played Tests in Bangladesh I feel there have been improvements on how the guys played the spinners. I think we're finally starting to see the effects of the new coach Rajput taking place hopefully it continues next time the boys play.

Hamilton Masakadza - 5.5: 139 runs @34 was a decent output from Big Hami but for a player of his experience and class he really needed to go on and score at least one big one. His 52 & 48 in the 1st Test were crucial to victory on a low scoring deck but he will be disappointed with his efforts in the 2nd Test. His dismissals all seemed lazy as well which may be down to the fact he looks so good at the crease and rarely looks troubled, then all of a sudden he is out? His captaincy was good IMO although the general feeling on the forum was he got it wrong in the 3rd innings in Mirpur by not bowling the seamers longer spells up front.

Brian Chari - 4.5: One of the forum's favourite 'whipping boys' Chari's selection had many people dis-pleased and his efforts in the 1st test wouldn't have helped change many opinions, his shot to get out in the 1st innings was dreadful! You won't see many worse than that by an opener in the 1st hour of a test. But he definitely picked up his game in Mirpur playing two good innings and showed a great temperament to see off the new ball and then take the attack to Taijul. His mode of dismissal in both innings were still very poor which took some of the gloss of his efforts as did his dropped catch off Mominul which although tough could have changed the game.

Brendan Taylor - 8: After a very disappointing Test in Sylhet BT bounced back big time in Mirpur scoring 'twin centuries' for the 2nd time in his Test career and becoming the 1st Zimbabwean batsman to do it overseas. He was able to mix his expansive stroke play with solid defence as he stayed calm for the most part despite having wickets fall around him. We've all been waiting for BT to produce in a Test Match in his latest return for Zimbabwe after disappointing in his previous four Tests averaging below 20, but he answered his critics and those doubts he could do it overseas. His shot to get out in the 1st innings was awful though being so close to stumps and with Zimbabwe so far behind still, and he sent Regis up the creek in the 2nd dig with a terrible run-out, got the feeling once Raza got out he was more worried about getting to 100 then saving the test.

Sean Williams - 6.5: Felt he deserved more after his 88 in the 1st dig at Sylhet but he really fell away after that and struggled to make an impact with bat & ball. But that innings really was for me a 'career defining' one for him playing within himself and according to the match situation and conditions, in the past he has seemed to disregard those aspects and continue to play his shots regardless which usually ends in his demise. He will be disappointed to not make another score in the next three attempts especially considering he got a start in all three, the Bangladeshis seemed to find a 'chink' in his game as he struggled to get forward to balls on off stump which ended with him being bowled. His bowling was disappointing just taking the two wickets I really expected more from him with ball in hand.

Sikander Raza - 4: Hard to rate Raza as he had a terrible tour with the bat and struggled with the ball in Mirpur, but his bowling in the 1st Test especially his spell on the 4th morning was top shelf and really set up the game for Zimbabwe. 7 wickets @32 is a pretty good return for a part time spinner, although he is held in higher regard these days as a bowler which is why his performance in the 2nd Test was so disappointing. His batting was the biggest disappointment of the tour, he was the main guy I felt Zimbabwe could rely on in these conditions but he was totally out of sorts especially to the left arm spinners who got him out in every innings, 3 of which were bowled.

PJ Moor - 7: PJ was the biggest surprise of the tour despite his impressive start to his test career he wasn't expected to deal with the spinners with such ease and score so many runs, but as pointed out by Googly he has made huge strides under Rajput and is on the cusp of becoming a real good player. His ability to play such diverse innings in either match showed that he is a smart cricketer and why Rajput sees him as a future captain. He played a very defiant innings in Sylhet defending the spinners and taking his chances when they came, but in Mirpur he played a counter attacking innings identifying the pitch was good for stroke play he took on the bowlers and made his highest test score. Will be disappointed he didn't go on to make a hundred in Mirpur and his struggles in the 2nd innings of Tests is something he needs to fix.

Regis Chakabva - 3.5 : Might be a bit harsh after playing a pretty good match in the 1st Test but he had a shocker in Mirpur missing at least four chances with the gloves and making no impact with the bat. In the 1st Test he was really good with the gloves taking a few chances off the spinners and being faultless to the seamers, his batting was also pretty good but he got out twice in the 20's which due to Zimbabwe's long tail led to a quick collapse on both occasions. He got unlucky being run-out by BT in the 2nd Test but his miss chances off Mominul and Mushfiqur really hurt Zimbabwe, for me his keeping to the spinners is too 'hit or miss' and Zimbabwe can't afford to miss those chances, his batting is probably suited to batting higher up the order especially with a long tail he seems to run out of partners. Maybe a move up the order to No.3 and giving up the gloves would suit him?

Brandon Mavuta - 3: Another guy hard to rate because of his heroics in the 4th innings in Sylhet where he bowled Zimbabwe to victory, but apart from that he struggled and was clearly out of his depth with bat & ball. He was brought back down to earth in the 2nd Test where he took no wickets and made no runs, a really tough match for him but he will learn and move on. We can only wonder what difference Cremer would have made in this series.

Kyle Jarvis - 8.5: Jarvis was IMO Zimbabwe's player of the tour in both formats as he really came of age bowling in conditions that shouldn't have suited him he took plenty of wickets and at times was almost unplayable. 10 wickets @15 in Bangladesh is unheard of for a seamer especially considering he bowls about 125kph, he bowled more overs than any other Zimbabwe bowler and always looked like he could take a wicket. Taking 5-72 in a total of 7-522 showed he was head and shoulders above the rest, formed a great partnership with Chatara before he got injured which will hopefully continue to blossom for Zimbabwe. It would be nice if he could improve his batting as Zimbabwe continue to struggle for lower order runs, seems caught between trying to be a blocker or a slogger.

Tendai Chatara - 6.5: I found it hard to rate Larry as well because of him getting injured early in the 2nd Test and although he kept it tight he only took the one wicket on Day 1 at Mirpur. But his opening spell in the 1st Test really set the tone as he ripped through the Bangladesh top order taking 3 wickets, he didn't take another wicket for the match but kept it tight throughout going for less than two runs an over. His injury was a massive blow and for a guy who has had his doubts about playing the longer format maybe playing 'back to back' tests in such conditions wasn't such a great idea.

Donald Tiripano - 5: Bowled pretty good in his only outing in Mirpur taking three wickets, although all three were more bad shots by the batsman than gems from the bowler. But he tried his best and gave everything he had as we can expect from the 'Iron Man' of Zimbabwe cricket, his batting was disappointing making 8 as the nightwatchman and a duck in the 2nd dig. I've said it before Zimbabwe really need to find a seam bowling allrounder better then Tiripano if they want to improve, but as long as he keeps putting out his whole hearten efforts he deserves to be picked.

Wellington Masakadza - 4: Only played the 1st test and he didn't really make an impact with the ball being out bowled by the 'part timers' Raza and Williams, I've said it before I really don't see what it is people see in him he seems to just put it on the spot with no revs and isn't really threatening at all, I think he needs some variations and an arm ball. But he did try very hard and made some vital runs with the bat in the 2nd dig whilst also picking up two wickets at the end, his fielding was also very good.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Bangladesh Test Series Ratings

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Good read. Agree with most ratings and reasoning. I would have clamped down Taylor's rating at 7 though. He failed completely in the first one (over attacking in the second dig there) and had some brain fades in the second one as you mention, leading to potentially losing the possibility of a draw.

I agree Jarvis was the stand out. Top class stuff from him.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

I also think Taylor should have been lower. From an indivudal perspective he was amazing in the second test but from a team point of view I think he played a role in the loss. I also hold BT to higher standard than everybody else. Those 2 brain fades cost us dearly.

Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Black Mamba »

Most of the best wicket keepers batsman bat at n.o 7, that also involves tailenders. Chakabva in the first test had enough time to show his batting talents, as team was in good position with enough time left in the game. W Masakadza with him was playing good supporting role but he failed to deliver.Except run out in the second innings he had good of three innings chances but failed.

His Keeping costed Zimbabwe and those drops should be seen in a big way as these sort of chances come very less for Zimbabwe, even in the Sri Lanka test he missed quite a few chances that hurt Zimbabwe.

Since Zimbabwe needs to perform against top teams so that they can get more games with opponents showing interest to play, its Chakabva who destroyed the game for Zimbabwe otherwise Zimbabwe would have won the series

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Regarding BT I agree there are reasons why he should have been lower, but scoring two centuries under pressure in the subcontinent is quite a feat for any player let alone a Zimbo.

If BT got a 7 then I think all the other batsman would probably have to drop a point.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

jaybro wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:10 am
If BT got a 7 then I think all the other batsman would probably have to drop a point.
I agree two hundreds in a test is no mean feat, but in the context of the series, I would be fine seeing both Taylor and Moor at 7, for example. Moor succeeded in 3 of the 4 innings he played and his application was there to be seen. May be Chari and Williams could drop half a point each, but that's pretty much it.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

I agree, Taylor was terrific - but too many errors to get an 8.
Maybe if you include the ODIs he'd get an 8 though, with those few 75's - he had a good time with the bat on this tour.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

I can see where you guys are coming from and obviously opinions vary, it’s hard to identify exactly what performances deserve what rating and some innings are worth more than others, for example PJ’s 13 in the 2nd dig was a ‘better 13’ than Williams 13 because of how many balls he faced and the context of the match.

What would have someone like BT have to do to score a 10? Four scores of fifty plus with 2 being over 100? Maybe if his 100’s resulted in a victory or draw they would have been worth more?

Maybe a 7.5 for BT would have been more fitting?

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

jaybro wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:28 pm
I can see where you guys are coming from and obviously opinions vary, it’s hard to identify exactly what performances deserve what rating and some innings are worth more than others, for example PJ’s 13 in the 2nd dig was a ‘better 13’ than Williams 13 because of how many balls he faced and the context of the match.

What would have someone like BT have to do to score a 10? Four scores of fifty plus with 2 being over 100? Maybe if his 100’s resulted in a victory or draw they would have been worth more?

Maybe a 7.5 for BT would have been more fitting?
Yeah to get a 10 he'd need to perform in every innings.

I actually reckon Jarvis had a 10/10 series. Every time he bowled he took wickets and kept it economical.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

My ratings for the players:

Jarvis - 9
Taylor - 8
Moor - 7
Chatara - 7
Williams - 5
Tiripano - 5
Raza - 4.5
H Masakadza - 4
Chari - 4
Chakabva - 3
Mavuta - 3
W Masakadza - 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)