What is Zim's greatest of All Time XI for Tests?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: What is Zim's greatest of All Time XI for Tests?

Post by jaybro »

Andybligzz wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:36 am
I fell in love with Zim cricket watching the VB tri series here Down under
I think we were falling in love with the same 'girl' at the same time Bligzz :lol: :lol: :lol:

I first remember seeing Zimbabwe play in the 2000/01 Carlton series involving Aus & the West Indies and kept an eye on their scorecards and followed them through the 2003 WC, but it was that summer where they toured Australia for Tests and ODI's in 2003/04 that really hooked me.

Getting back to the Greatest Test XI it's obviously going to be hard to get everyone to agree on the same XI dudes and obviously I'm going to think my side is the best one, but the guys I picked were picked on performances not potential so that's why I left out Johnson, Sean Ervine and even Jarvis (for now) Hamilton has scored over 2000 Test runs at over 30 batting in the top 3 with 5 Test hundreds, in Zimbabwe that's good currency.

Also the argument that the 'Golden Generation' had it harder because they played against better sides and players is valid, but the post rebel era players haven't had it easy, yes in ODI cricket they get to play associates more often (although the Golden Generation played Kenya & a very crappy Bangladesh a lot) but in Tests there are no easy teams to play for Zimbabwe, Bangladesh are a good side especially in their own conditions so every run or wicket these guys get is worth just as much. Plus playing regular cricket against good sides actually makes you a better player, the Golden Generation never had to wait over 12 months to play Tests and benefited from playing against the best.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

I have two versions, one for pacey and bouncy picthes and another for spinning ones / batting paradises:

Pacey Bouncy Pitches XI:

Grant Flower
Hamilton Masakadza
Murray Goodwin
Andy Flower
David Houghton (C)
BRM Taylor (wk)
Guy Whittall
Heath Streak
Andy Blignaut
Paul Strang
Henry Olonga

3 good pacers + Whittall and Masakadza to bowl, and Strang with his leg spin magic and Grant's occasional left arm spin.

Other Pitches XI:

Grant Flower
Guy Whittall
Murray Goodwin
Andy Flower
David Houghton (C)
BRM Taylor
Tatenda Taibu (wk)
Heath Streak
Andy Blignaut
Paul Strang
Ray Price

Strang, Price and Grant with spin duties, while Blignaut can offer batting too, along with pace bowling duties with Streak and opener Whittall.

Both lineups have solid batting down to no. 10.

Sean Ervine is like Barry Richards for SA. A tale of what could have been. Ali Campbell with just two test hundreds won't walk into the test side, but he would be in the ODI XI for sure along with Neil Johnson.

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:43 am
Other Pitches XI:

Grant Flower
Guy Whittall
Murray Goodwin
Andy Flower
David Houghton (C)
BRM Taylor
Tatenda Taibu (wk)
Heath Streak
Andy Blignaut
Paul Strang
Ray Price
I like the idea of getting Taibu in for spinning wickets.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

We talk about guys like Sean Ervine not fulfilling their full potential at international level but Taibu is another who really left half a career in the sheds.

He really could still be playing now, when he came back as A selector I was thinking ‘why don’t you come back and play?’
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Yeah, that's true about Taibu. Also, if he had reverse swept less even when he played too, he would have had an even better record :lol:

Regarding the XI, I'm just imagining the scenario where the opposition got lucky and got us to 170/8 by tea on day 1 and thought that they would run through the tail and post a huge score soon after. However, Paul Strang masterfully rotates the strike and gives majority of the strike to Blignaut, who unleashes his blitzkrieg and goes hammer and tongs. Before the bowlers know what hit them, Zim are 303/8 with Bliggie on 91* and Strang 38*. Opposition massively demoralized :) (and then when they bat, they frustratingly give 3 wickets each to the accuracy of Whittall, Price and Grant Flower to lose their mind further). Second dig: Andy Flower masterclass. Opposition has had enough and succumbs to the class of Streak and Strang to give us a massive victory.

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:19 pm
Yeah, that's true about Taibu. Also, if he had reverse swept less even when he played too, he would have had an even better record :lol:

Regarding the XI, I'm just imagining the scenario where the opposition got lucky and got us to 170/8 by tea on day 1 and thought that they would run through the tail and post a huge score soon after. However, Paul Strang masterfully rotates the strike and gives majority of the strike to Blignaut, who unleashes his blitzkrieg and goes hammer and tongs. Before the bowlers know what hit them, Zim are 303/8 with Bliggie on 91* and Strang 38*. Opposition massively demoralized :) (and then when they bat, they frustratingly give 3 wickets each to the accuracy of Whittall, Price and Grant Flower to lose their mind further). Second dig: Andy Flower masterclass. Opposition has had enough and succumbs to the class of Streak and Strang to give us a massive victory.
A man who knows his stuff , except Blignaut would be on 147 *
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!