You're a billionaire and have been appointed ZC chairman, whats the plan?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Jayb

You're a billionaire and have been appointed ZC chairman, whats the plan?

Post by Jayb »

Ok, Long post coming up.

So you're a billionaire and have just been given the reigns of ZC what do you do?

I have split this into different areas and my thoughts are below, I'd love to hear yours:
1. Domestic set up
2. A Team
3. National Team
4. Game development pathway Academies/Rising stars program
5. Governance/employment

1. Domestic Set up

At the moment, our domestic set up is a joke. Teams play a few games in the wet season. There is no conceivable way we can be producing international cricketers with such little focus on our domestic cricket. I also find it appalling that there is no forward planning and it seems like the announcement of the season is like a few weeks before it actually begins. Young cricketers need to know there is cricket for them to play in Zimbabwe and there is a future for them in the game. I would immediately set up a professional domestic cricket program.

Notes:
i. Season Runs from March to September.
ii. 10 Round Logan Cup, 10 Round 50 over, 10 Round T20. Each team plays each other twice. Home and Away.
iiI. 6 teams: Harare, Marondera, Mutare, Bulawayo, Midlands, Rising Stars. (Most of our players come from Harare, so I've added a team from Marondera, somewhere close to Harare with a decent cricketing community)
iv. I would fund a very clear development program in place in Masvingo to try and form a team there within 5 years.250,000 + Population should be able to support a cricket team.
V. I am writing it into every nationally contracted player and A team player that they MUST play in every domestic game where they are not on international duty.
Vi. Our B team will play in the RSA provincial competition(the domestic season will be the opportunity for any players to put their hands up for this). This runs October- March. These contracts are far more lucrative than domestic payments.
VII. Each team bar rising stars is given a $200,000 salary cap. This money does not include players contracted to National team players who are exempt from the salary cap and payment is included in their central contract.
VIII: Each team can sign a marquee player outside of the salary cap, can be an overseas player.
IX: All national contracted players go into a draft and are distributed among the teams. ZC pays any reasonable costs associated with travel.
X: All domestic teams will be governed by a specific Cricket association, more on this in the governance section.

2. A team

I briefly mentioned the "A" team concept in the domestic section, I want to unpack that a little bit more.

At the moment, we do not have a reliable enough pathway for players. By creating an A team that plays in the RSA provincial comp, we are creating a clear pathway for players to develop and also to play more cricket in the hope of them becoming international players. These players are given a contract and as I previously said these contracts are based on domestic performances. We will play out of Harare and I am appointing a good coaching staff. These coaching staff are also involved in various academy programs around the country in the off season.

A team contracts:
1. Musakanda B
2. Murray WKB
3. Prince Masvaure B
4. Zhuwao B
5. Chari B
6. Kumanakanwe B
7. C. Ervine B
8. Goodwin B (I am paying him whatever it takes, he is a gun who will play for Western Australia and probably Australia but think I think we can get him for the right price)
9. Scharendorf a/r
10. Ngarava FB
11. W. Masakadza SB
12. Roche SB
13. Burl B
14. Mugarira FB
15. Tiripano FB

Support Staff:
Murray Goodwin: Batting Coach (I am offering him and his son a combined deal and a lot of money at that)
Propser Utseya: Spin Coach, there are a few good spinners here so I'm hiring him to work with them. I also don't want the trouble of getting rid of him completely so I think this will be a good job for him.
Allan Donald: Bowling Coach, will also do some work with academies throughout the year.
Lalchland Rajput: Head coach (He is obviously a very good coach, so I'm offering him this role and also putting him in charge of all of the development programs as a consultant and working with our best young kids across the country. I'm assuming I'm going to have to pay him well)

Although I thought about stacking it with young kids, I think the best thing to do is to be competitive in the competition and create a good culture in the team. I also don't want to handout contracts to blokes who haven't done enough to warrant selection at provincial level. However, this team is not for players who we need to move on from (i.e Chibhabha, Chigumbura, etc).

3.National Team

Having a strong national team is probably the most important thing in growing the game. I have decided not to chuck everything at every single overseas player, namely because as a white guy it will look like I am a racist as most of the guys who have gone overseas are white. I need to manage that perception. I am going after 4 guys: Hilton Cartwright, Gary Balance, Ed Byrom and Blessing Muzarabani. Hilton and Garry I am prepared to pay whatever I need to. The facilities are not up to international standard so the first thing I am spending money on are the training facilities/gear in Harare, ensuring we give ourselves the best possible chance.

Notes:
i. I am making sure we get enough cricket, Im bribing, doing whatever I need to for the ICC to give us frequent games and more test cricket.
ii. I'm paying these guys on time and I am upping their contracts significantly. However, I am ensuring I put something in there about needing to play in domestic games when available.
iii. I want to take national team games to all of the different Domestic Team grounds, not just have them in Harare and Bulawayo.
IV. If we have an extended break and can't find top tier nations to play, we are touring Europe: Netherlands, Scotland and Ireland.

National Team contracts:
1. Taylor WKB
2. Williams B
3. Raza AR
4. Cremer SB
5. Jarvis FB
6. H. Masakadza B
7. Ballance B
8. Cartwright AR
9. Chatara FB
10. Mire B
11. Muzarabani FB
12. Moor B
13. Mavuta SB
14. Mpofu FB
15. Byrom B
16. Chakabva WKB

Support Staff:
Grant Flower: Batting Coach
Doug Hondo: Bowling Coach, not sure about this but he seems ok.
Andy Flower: Head Coach, (Im paying him whatever he wants)
Also I like that buff guy who is around the team so he can stay around and intimidate the shit out of the opposition.
I have decided at a national team level I wanted a Zimbabwean head coach.

4. Game development/Youth Cricket

This is probably the most detailed section: I briefly mentioned earlier I want to decentralize the game without letting looting of resources occur. I don't know exactly how each of the provincial regions are governed and I am assuming there is some corruption there.

I am establishing/rebranding the major regions.
I am appointing 5 employees in each of the major regions. (Job descriptions below)

Major Regions (with first class teams)
Harare Cricket Association: Responsible for the growth of the game in Harare.
Marondera/Mash East CA: Responsible for the growth of the game in Mash East Region.
Bulawayo CA: Responsible for the growth of the game in BW region.
Midlands: Responsible for the growth of the game in Kwekwe, Gweru, Kadoma and surrounding regions.
Mutare/Manicaland CA: Responsible for the growth of the game in Manicaland region

Smaller Regions:
Vic Falls/Hwange: 2 Employees
Masvingo: 4 Employees
Mash West/Central: 2 Employees

Employees in the regions:
1. General Manager: Runs the development of the game in the region, manages the domestic team, assists in developing the non professional leagues. Manages the volunteer base, assist in administrating all aspects of the region.
2. Youth Development officer: Goes into schools every day running cricket clinics, identifies any talent for further follow up.
3. Academy Manager/Head coach: Each team has a specific academy manager who manages the academy in these 8 regions. *More on this in the youth cricket section.
4. Head Coach: Coaches the First Class team but also works with younger players/ other players in developing talent in the region. Also
5.. Financial controller: Works for ZC and although employed by me, manages the finances for each region and lives in that region.

Academy Program:
i. The youth development officer goes into schools every day and identifies talent.
ii. Academy intakes are U11,U13,U15,U17.
iii. Training takes place twice a week and once a month a team is selected to play another region.
iv.Each region begins with 30 players at the U11 intake and every year a culling program takes place until there are only 12 players left at U17 level.
V.Every year ZC hosts a 3 day carnival where all of the regions come together and try to be crowned champions.
vi. In the geographically larger regions, I am going to have "hubs within regions" as travel will be too much for some kids. For instance, I will pay some first class players twice a week to run the academy in Kadoma and kwekwe as it would be unreasonable to expect kids from these regions to go to Gweru, where the main academy is located. Same thing in Mash East and Mutare region.
vii: Players with school commitments, may be exempt from one training- one training will be on a Friday night so hopefully boarders can still attend training.
viii: ZC covers the entire cost of the academy programs.

We are also going to select a Zimbabwean U15, U17 team in addition to the regular u19 team. These teams are selected through the national youth cricket carnival that takes place and other performances in school and club cricket throughout the year. The U15 team tours Australia in school holidays, U17 team tours UK in school holidays.

Rising Stars Program:
I actually liked the rising stars program that used to run. I think TT did a good job with running this and I think the idea had merit. I would appoint TT again in this role as head coach. However, this program is now only for players U20, not U23 or whatever it was. Players are paid during domestic season, but not as professionals- as semi professionals. During the tour all expenses are paid for within reason. Tour happens every year, but different destinations are chosen. The idea of this program is for players who have come out of the U19 World Cup have a place to play cricket for a year and to focus. Players can only tour once but all players U20 in Zimbabwe are eligible for the team. The tour takes place before the domestic season and then leads into the season. Rising stars have first dibs on U20 players, no other first class team can sign an U20 player.

5. Governance/Employment

I covered some of this in other development sections on the structure of the regional Cricket associations. These would be my key appointments at ZC. I have fired all the leaches currently involved in the game.

Org Chart:

Chairman- me dude who has lots of money, making sure no one is stealing the money.
CEO: A really smart black guy, who can be the face of the organization. Maybe that politician who was making some noise at the start of the year.
Finance officer: Another non corrupt smart black guy.
Head of cricket: Heath streak, responsible for all of the cricket in the country in particular the national and B team.
Head of development: Lachland Rajput, responsible for overseeing all of the development programs, in academies
Head of academies: Tino Mawayo: Overseeing all of the academies in all of the sub regions.
Communications: Pommie Mbangwa reports on the national team's progress, updates scores creates a buzz. Works on getting games televised etc.
Head of Domestic cricket: Alistair Campbell, he can oversee all the domestic cricket and make sure it is being run properly.

Other roles:
Head of ATS school Cricket: Gavin Ewing, has experience in schools he can work with all the ATS schools and ensure that students are still involved in academy programs. I am not sure who governs cricket in these schools, I am assuming that it is not ZC, so this role will be vital in ensuring that we are acting as a support network for these schools and that we are not losing good players.
Social media co-ordinator: Dean du plessis. Can travel with the team take photos do interviews etc. Our current social media is appalling, being blind I'm not exactly sure how this would work day to day but he would do it better than the dickheads who do it now.

I am sure there are a few other random employees who we would need.

So that's what I'm doing on day one. I am sure there are heaps of other shit that I would need to do as well.

Ok your turn!

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: You're a billionaire and have been appointed ZC chairman, whats the plan?

Post by sloandog »

I can't beat that.

All i'll say is that, as i was reading it, I was imagining this fully functioning system of success....and then it stopped, and then i realised it'll never ever be like this :| :( :cry:

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

If I were a billionaire I would probably just buy the whole country of Zimbabwe and turn it into some sort of cricket incubator.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

If It were me.

I’d set up a transport company, marketing company, business consultancy company and promotional company and employ such companies to work for ZC at a price I dictate.

I would also cancel Bangladesh and any sub continental tours bar Sri Lanka and replace with Ireland/London and do some development tours in Switzerland around September and Vegas in July......to showcase our talent in new markets and Test ourselves against those nations best.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Googly

Post by Googly »

There isn’t the interest in cricket here to try and spread the game. Some years ago ZC spent money putting in a facility in a high density area in Kwekwe- nets and a pitch, and it’s now a soccer pitch and basketball courts I believe. You can’t set something up and then expect the local community to run with it, there isn’t the interest or the money. Cricket is an expensive sport. The problem is people expect to be spoon fed and there isn’t the money, the personnel or the interest for that either.
Money needs to be spent in only a few key areas manned by the right people. Forget about places like Hwange and Vic Falls, you’d may as well burn that money.

In order for us to be vaguely competitive we need to dramatically improve our junior cricket, the standard is piss poor, and that’s in the main schools, it’s even worse in the few other schools that play it. I would spend money on 4 or 5 government schools that used to have facilities and by default they have a captive group of potential players. The problem with school practice is that no one is really going to improve that much in a school net environment. Batters need an hour a day 4-5 days a week with quality coaching in order to make meaningful progress. A 10 minute slot with one kid bowling well and the rest being pie chuckers just doesn’t cut it.

I’d spend money on 10 development coaches that passed the strictest assessment. I would task them with producing 6 good cricketers in three years ea. They would have to find them, bring them for an assessment by an expert panel, sign them up and then produce a program that saw the boys playing 5 hours a week, with weekly video reviews by an independent panel that not only reviewed the boys’ progress but also the coaches. I’d have those boys on scholarships, regardless of how rich or poor they were. At the end of those 3 years I’d pay the leading coach a 200k bonus. This would cost about 1.5m over three years and would solve most of our problems.

I’d build 4 indoor 5 lane facilities with adjacent grass nets, complete with bowling machines and live camera feeds to head office. That’s not more than 3 mill.

Googly

Post by Googly »

We’ve had this money many times over, it’s sitting in someone’s pocket and just generally been squandered by years of mismanagement and overstaffing. We will have this money going forward as well. Start with the main centres and get going now. We’ve got such a facility now at Country Club that is gathering cobwebs.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

$1b is a lot of money, I'd turn Victoria Falls into some sort of sporting mecca along the lines of Dubai Sports City. Build a stadium, get great facilities, hire world class coaches - be a place where teams and players want to come to. That would rub off on the rest of the country too.

I guess my serious answer is along the lines of what Jayb and Googly said, but I've just always loved the idea of an international cricket stadium at Victoria Falls so if I had $1b I'd make it happen. I'd also pay to get the the HSC floodlights out of "airport customs" :P

Googly

Post by Googly »

There was a ground breaking ceremony for a Formula One track at Vic Falls last week apparently, I believe General Chiwenga is behind it.
That would presumably mean they’ve been in negotiations with the Formula One lot and they’ve rubber stamped it. I’m sure more will be revealed shortly. That’s a huge investment. Once again I don’t see the merit in building something that gets used once. :lol:
A game of cricket in the summer heat of Vic Falls will kill at least half the players :lol:
Everyone forgets it’s predominantly a National Park and that’s the main tourist draw card. The wild animals will just love a race track and a cricket stadium there. Maybe they can put the cricket pitch in the middle of the race track?
We don’t have money for medicines because the chefs just go to South Africa and Singapore for their problems.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

The humidity and heat surely wouldn't be any worse than India or even Australia. I honestly don't know why a ground couldn't be built there quite cheaply even taking into account the backroom deals (it'd be no different to SL, see below). Labour costs would not be astronomical.

Depending on who you believe, Hambantota (Sri Lanka) cost between $5m - $25m to build. That's 35k capacity, and you definitely wouldn't need something that big at Vic Falls. Build one nice looking grandstand, surround the rest of the oval with grassy banks and some trees. Boom - there's your picturesque stadium.

When cricket's not being played there, lease it out to international soccer friendlies or rugby or music festivals or whatever else is going on in Vic Falls at the time.

Googly

Post by Googly »

You’d fill it on New Year with a couple of drunken parties, you might get a Sevens tournament there and maybe a couple of cricket matches, but it would lose its appeal because just getting there is expensive for cricket. Imagine that money being used for revamping key facilities in Harare and the main centres that would be used almost daily. It’s such a bad idea you’re making me go for cooling off walks around my garden because we’d just see millions evaporate yet again.