Alistair Campbell HPP

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Alistair Campbell HPP

Post by jaybro »

Jemisi wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:34 am
Thanks for digging those up.
No problem

It’s encouraging to know there’s some cricket being played
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

Do you have to pay to play for the Bill Flower Academy like the Campbell one?

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

I think the term academy is used loosely.
Privately paid coaching feels more apt to me.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Googly

Post by Googly »

ZC stumped up for the Campbell Academy recruits. I’m sure they will do no such thing for Taibu’s academy.
These academies worldwide are prohibitively expensive. The good ones have damned good coaches and programs.
Anyone with money to enroll is more likely to go to an Australian, South African or English one. It’s unfair because I’ve heard GB is doing an outstanding job.
The one upside to joining the Campbell Academy is that it’s a direct entry into the FC system here, which is unheard of anywhere else, it’s an anomaly which only our broken system could offer. I’m not sure whether that will ever convince anyone with means to stay here though.
The first thing anyone with money for their kids is going to do is send them to Uni. You would need a healthy system and then the AC academy would be a real option, but with a healthy system academy boys wouldn’t be good enough for FC, a catch 22.

Googly

Post by Googly »

What Campbell probably should have tried to do is to make a deal with a couple of northern hemisphere sides like Ireland, Netherlands, Scotland to get a couple of their really good youngsters over here for a winter academy for free as a form of advertising. I have no doubt that Brent would make them a lot better and within a couple of years these countries would pay to send players. The problem is you’re competing with Kirsten Academy and a couple of the Aussie ones. The carrot would be some FC games though.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

If I’m not mistaken I believe there were one or two English kids from the first intake? The name Sam Perry rings a bell

I think you’re right about the direct entry into first class cricket will be a massive carrot for AC to attract overseas talent

While I have you on the subject Googly, have you seen or heard much about this intake? Are any of these guys improving? Can we expect any internationals from this group?
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Googly

Post by Googly »

Someone posted their results on the forum. I haven’t had a really good look. I’d heard they had a seamer with some promise and a batter. Anyone with real promise would stick out like a dog’s ball here and would be spoken about. The fact is you need to be a superstar here in Zim to even have half a chance of being a decent international. I guess that applies to any system, but more so here. If you’re not plundering runs or wickets here then you’ve got f%#* all chance of doing it in a competitive environment.
I just don’t see how a top batsman can materialize from relative obscurity. By the time they’re in their 20’s how are you going to have a really top batter if he hasn’t been plundering for years at schoolboy level? Maybe you can, I just don’t know if any.
People talk about Myers here, and I’ve seen him play. He’s a really good player, but we’re comparing him to others here and some fairly ordinary bowling most of the time. How would he fare against top opposition? We’ll see in the u19 WC soon enough. If he’s like 99% of the other good guys we’ve produced over the last 10 years or so, he’ll be a bit inconsistent and will struggle initially to make the step up. It’s that last step that seems to elude most

Donald

Post by Donald »

Be interested to see how Shumba and Madhevere get on as well at the under 19 world cup.

Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Black Mamba »

Donald wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:34 pm
Be interested to see how Shumba and Madhevere get on as well at the under 19 world cup.
They should have been a part of national side by now, playing age group cricket for long time

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

Andybligzz wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:16 am
So you have the best bat in the country around the youngsters and now you have the best bowler . Awesome stuff , both have international and county experience and know what it takes to succeed . I’m very happy with this
Young Campbell is doing his thing