Domestic season Build up (or lack there of)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Domestic season Build up (or lack there of)

Post by jaybro »

I think these guys will wait until ZC can offer them a full central contract, much like Mire did they’ll early their stripes overseas and gain selection from club cricket or possibly county cricket.

Hard to expect these guys to give up living and playing in Aus & Eng to come back and slog it in Zimbabwe especially since there is such precious little opportunity to impress in Zimbabwe domestically.

Might see TJS or even a Nick Welch or Eddy Byron return once Hamilton retires in a year or so.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Googly

Post by Googly »

I don’t see Hammy retiring, I’m thinking he might bow out with a heart attack at first slip aged 63 or breaking a hip walking out to bat. I was going to say taking a quick single, but then realized that was not a likely scenario :lol: He’s our best opener, until someone noticeably better comes along he can carry on frustrating us.
Houghton is at Derbyshire, I dunno if that will help. Counties will always give you a couple of trial games if you come recommended, but it’s not easy there. Ben Curran has finally got a contract after two very good seasons and my opinion (it’s always about opinions and mine definitely doesn’t count!) is that he’s a notch up from Jayden. Trying to make an impression as an opening batsman in April conditions in England he won’t find that easy. Ben may easily have played over 400 games of cricket since he’s been in England, he’s had some great coaching at MCC YP and he knows his game. I’ve watched him play a few times and he’s damned good. I’ve seen lots of guys get trials over there thinking County will be easy to crack and they practically all walk away empty handed.
I watched Gareth Harte finally get a contract aged about 25 and he’s as good as anyone out there. He made hundreds for fun in County Two’s, year after year. He’s an unbelievable batsman. In a different world he’d be in the front 5 for Proteas were it not for their quota bullshit.
Nick Welch made a hundred for Essex against Netherlands and never heard from them again, another 100 for MCC and never heard from them again either. He’s had some fantastic innings for Surrey and he’s a very serious player and he’s not getting the nod so it’s a little naive to think you can just walk into a county side, but stranger things have happened and good luck to him.

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Mountaineers Squad
Mountaineers Squad: Tino Mawoyo,Kevin Kasuza, Victor Nyauchi, Kudzi Sauramba,Donald Tiripano,Tendai Chatara,Hamilton Masakadza, Vusi Sibanda, Timycen Maruma, Roy Kaia,Wellington Masakadza, Shingi Masakadza, Innocent Kaia, Natsai Mushangwe, Forster Mutizwa, John Masara, Clive Chitumba, Frank Mazvita, Tinashe Chimbambo, William Mashinge, Tafadzwa Tsiga, Tinashe Muchawaya and Vincent Masekesa.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

zimfan1 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:35 am
Mountaineers Squad
Mountaineers Squad: Tino Mawoyo,Kevin Kasuza, Victor Nyauchi, Kudzi Sauramba,Donald Tiripano,Tendai Chatara,Hamilton Masakadza, Vusi Sibanda, Timycen Maruma, Roy Kaia,Wellington Masakadza, Shingi Masakadza, Innocent Kaia, Natsai Mushangwe, Forster Mutizwa, John Masara, Clive Chitumba, Frank Mazvita, Tinashe Chimbambo, William Mashinge, Tafadzwa Tsiga, Tinashe Muchawaya and Vincent Masekesa.
Good to see Tsiga here. Hope he ends Kudzai Sauramba's misery. A guy who never realized his potential. Hope Mashinge and Tsiga get to play every possible game available along with the experienced guys around them.

Googly

Post by Googly »

That’s a huge squad for so few games. It’s good that they’re there, let’s hope they play.
23 players and a handful of games. Mmmm

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Thats a strong squad. It wont be easy to crack it if you are the new kid on the block.Competition is good tho

jward

Post by jward »

First change of fixture list: The two Pro50 matches originally scheduled for tomorrow, 1 December, have been postponed until next Saturday, 8 December. Logan Cup matches 3-6 December stay as advertised, I am told. No other changes to fixtures. Yet.

Stoneman Returns
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Stoneman Returns »

why no white players in Mountaineers squad ?
Success depends on Aggressive Instinct

Googly

Post by Googly »

Only 300 whites left in Mutare and none of them play cricket :lol:
Lawn bowls and drinking beer only

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Googly wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:15 pm
Only 300 whites left in Mutare and none of them play cricket :lol:
Lawn bowls and drinking beer only
Not even one or two floating around in the club cricket scene?

If Mutare has a club scene...