ECB eligibility criteria is now simpler. Consequences for Zim?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: ECB eligibility criteria is now simpler. Consequences for Zim?

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Andybligzz wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:26 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:18 am
Andybligzz wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:44 pm
Won’t effect us at all and I’m agreeing with googly . Archer is a shit hot rare talent , he could be the difference at the World Cup , he chopped up the bbl when he played here . Consistently hitting speeds above 145kmh and extremely accurate ,plus is a suburb clean hitter of the pill. I have a feeling there will be a lot of sub continent players trying to get into the zim team in the future , seems to be a lot of love for ’babwe’ and the dream of international cricket is a lot higher than western players . Wanna play international cricket ? Zim is the doorway
So what happens when Zimbabwe unearth Andy Flower version 2?
Once in a lifetime player , won’t ever be another like him. We all hail Taylor a god and he barely averages 35 at test level. The next best bat we have is raza who’s not even from zim . Don’t think we will see another flower sadly , times have changed and the whole setup is a joke.
Oh ok, so we support talent poaching because it’s unlikely we have any future talent.

Aim high kiddies.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ain’t no-one coming here from elsewhere who’s played first class and wants to qualify. Firstly they need the passport (I can post them one :lol: ), but then they need to do the qualification period. We’re probably inline with the ICC stipulated 3 years, but what are they going to do for those 3 years? :lol:
There’s not much cricket, there’s definitely no money, there’s no jobs, no fuel and the cost of living is double that of anywhere else.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I don’t think the Poms went fishing for foreign players, it was the players themselves beating on their door. Turning them away in my opinion would have been grossly unfair on the individual wanting to make some life changes. Zim and SA are in rapid irreversible economic decline and anyone with the option of moving out will seriously consider it, especially white talented rugby and cricket players because they know they haven’t got much chance of even playing provincial sport. For those that think of us as settlers- there are surprisingly few now that can access other passports. If you think about it, a section of grandparents (those of European origin not Dutch) were British born, then their offspring were first generation and entitled to British passports, then the next generation, basically from the 1980’s onwards were second generation and not automatically eligible (ancestral visa maybe). So basically we’re Africans whether the “other” Africans like it or not, yet we’re accorded 3rd class status. The current crop of white kids of British decent are third generation and they’ve got zero chance of obtaining UK passports unless Home Office make periodic strange changes, which they do occasionally. My cousins got passports because they very recently changed a law that allowed citizenship of grandchildren of grandfathers who had been employed by the English government to come to the colonies to work in a civil service capacity.
When you colonize the planet there are repercussions :lol:
Now consider this- there are probably close to 800 000 black Zimbabweans that live in the UK, and a percentage of them have been there for 10 years or more, which now means they’re naturalized and have passports. I’d guess that there are probably more black “Zimbabwean” UK passport holders now than there are white “Zimbabwean” UK passport holders. It opens up massive opportunities for the movement of people, both legitimately and otherwise. If you go to Slough, Shona is practically the main language on the High street.
Every trick in the book is used to get over to the UK in search of a better life and opportunities. I’ve heard many black Zimbos with Pom accents nowadays.
We live in a global village and the lid has been blown right off and the UK in particular must be regretting the days of empire :lol: Diaspora remittances now account for a huge percentage of our foreign currency.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I saw some really funny graffiti over the railway bridge in Brixton a couple of months ago. Brixton is very cosmopolitan and white dudes stick out like a sore thumb.
It read-
Fuck off back to where you came from, you white c*^ts!
Then as an afterthought in a different colour it said- Clapham!
Whoever wrote that meant that shit because I couldn’t for the life of me figure how he’d got up there as it was completely inaccessible. I think he must have hired s cherry picker.
The Poms are being ousted from their own country :lol:
well not quite, but certainly from a few districts.
I took a picture of it for posterity, and was glad I did because I was there last week and saw the bridge had been repainted.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Cricket is actually a pretty elitist sport in England, not as much in the north, but certainly in the south. If you read where a lot of FC and internationals come from they were at some fancy schools. The drive by the ECB to keep numbers up is mostly aimed at these schools and their existing superb infrastructures probably more so than spending money on State schools, so there’s no big grass roots drive there either, and they have a lot of money to spend. A player who’s made it from outside of these elite schools you know has shown some serious determination.

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:23 pm
Andybligzz wrote:
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:18 am

So what happens when Zimbabwe unearth Andy Flower version 2?
Once in a lifetime player , won’t ever be another like him. We all hail Taylor a god and he barely averages 35 at test level. The next best bat we have is raza who’s not even from zim . Don’t think we will see another flower sadly , times have changed and the whole setup is a joke.
Oh ok, so we support talent poaching because it’s unlikely we have any future talent.

Aim high kiddies.
I don’t support it at all , you just put words in my mouth for me to suit your argument . I don’t support it at all but what do you want me to do ? England have always poached players and will continue to do so , they offer players something that they want and will reward them . We can’t offer that so that’s why we don’t agree with it , if zim could attract South African talent good enough for international cricket we would be praising it and loving poaching . We don’t caus we are poor and shit , so we hate poaching . No need to twist my words like that , cheers
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

Googly

Post by Googly »

It’s amazing how many white South Africans have Zimbabwe heritage. At independence and thereafter 250 000 whites left for SA. 40 years later they would have had children, many would be up to second generation so those numbers could well be up to half a million, which means potentially more than 10% of white South Africans possibly have access to citizenship here.
Human populations are mobile. I saw a post (can’t vouch for its veracity) that said Afrikaaners (Dutch) arrived in SA in 1652, the Zulus in 1709 (not sure where they were from, that doesn’t sound right), Tsonga 1800, Xhosa 1811, English 1820, Siswati 1839, Tswana 1852.
And don’t forget Zim and SA are full of Malawians, Zambians and Mozambiqueans who were migrant labourers, many of whom remained or returned.
That’s why I have such a problem with this land issue in both countries. I’m not disputing that some redistribution was required, but governments of both countries caused chaos to appease their voters and to directly benefit.
Land was an issue 40 years ago when the Zim population was 4 million and the SA population was under 20m.
Now we’re at 16m and 45m. In 20 years we’re going to be at 25m and 60m. Here’s the real problem right here.
These governments honestly can’t plan a week ahead, and this population explosion in Africa cannot end well. Africa can’t feed itself right now.

Googly

Post by Googly »

The more educated people are the ones that can access Europe, Australia and the States and the brain drain out of SA in particular is astonishing. They are left with an angry uneducated population that believe they’re entitled to a better life and just can’t do that maths. It’s not possible, even with good governance and the best of intentions.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Andybligzz wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:30 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:23 pm
Andybligzz wrote:

Aim high kiddies.
I don’t support it at all , you just put words in my mouth for me to suit your argument . I don’t support it at all but what do you want me to do ? England have always poached players and will continue to do so , they offer players something that they want and will reward them . We can’t offer that so that’s why we don’t agree with it , if zim could attract South African talent good enough for international cricket we would be praising it and loving poaching . We don’t caus we are poor and shit , so we hate poaching . No need to twist my words like that , cheers
Im not attacking you at all, but your resignation to the fact is interesting because its realistic.
Ive said countless times on this forum that the best we can hope for is Craig Ervine to BT type batsman. So on the international scale of quality 6's to 7.5's, because if we go beyond that, the first world will incorporate them into their systems and kneecaps us. We should by right, have the hope to dream for a world class batsman or bowler. I dont think we are capable of 10's (Kohli,Smith,Williamson etc) but I genuinely believe that because of our presence on the world stage and unchallenged spots in the national team, that in turn plays on the international stage, a player can develop into a genuine 9. And we must be able to keep them and there should be a plan in place for this.

Although they arent 9's, someone like Raza and Craig could only have hit the heights in their ability in a place like Zim, because there is less pressure for their spot so they have a wide palette to test and improve under international coaching.
Ironically, and this is Googly's point, the naturally talented batsman actually suffers for the same reason. Lack of challenging to get to the top.

Strange situation where playing for zimbabwe can make an average player good but a good player average.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Cric_cricguy
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by Cric_cricguy »

ECB recently the rules so that Archer can represent England in WC 2019 and end the bowling woes for ECB. He is certainly a special talent who has impressed everyone with his toe crushing yorkers and raw pace.
For Details https://rapidleaks.com/sports/cricket/j ... r-england/
As far as Zimbabwe cricket is concerned, I don't think they have to think too much about the change in rules as they have the potential to rise up again and present a tough competition to opponents.