Taibu bounces back to play in Sri Lanka

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic)
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Taibu bounces back to play in Sri Lanka

Post by Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic) »

FORMER Zimbabwe captain Tatenda Taibu will make a return to top-class cricket at the age of 35 after signing for a yet-to-be-named Sri Lankan domestic team ahead of the forthcoming first-class season.

It is yet another interesting twist in the life of Taibu, who quit international cricket in 2012 aged just 29, to focus on church work.

A devout Christian and ardent preacher, Taibu—who played 28 Tests, 150 One-Day Internationals and 17 Twenty20s for Zimbabwe—vowed not to have anything to do with cricket again, as he was busy ministering.

But the youngest Test captain in history made a surprise return to the game in 2016 after accepting the position of Zimbabwe’s convener of selectors, saying it was God’s wish that he did so.

Earlier in 2016, Taibu had made his initial comeback as a player after signing for Liverpool and District team Hightown St Mary’s in the United Kingdom.

Speaking to BBC Radio Merseyside, Highway publicist Nick Gordon said Taibu approached the club after they had advertised for an overseas player for the summer.

“It’s not every day that a club like Hightown St Mary’s signs a player like Tatenda,” Gordon said.

“I had to do a double take, it was so unusual. We put out an advert for young players but he said ‘I’m not a young player, I’m a retired Test cricketer.’

“This guy has played at an incredibly high standard of cricket and we are happy to take the risk. Even if he hasn’t picked up a bat since 2012, he will be more than sufficient for our needs this summer.”

“It’s not every day that a club like Hightown St Mary’s signs a player like Tatenda,” Gordon said.

“I had to do a double take, it was so unusual. We put out an advert for young players but he said ‘I’m not a young player, I’m a retired Test cricketer.’

“This guy has played at an incredibly high standard of cricket and we are happy to take the risk. Even if he hasn’t picked up a bat since 2012, he will be more than sufficient for our needs this summer.”

During his stay in England, Taibu launched the Rising Stars Academy, which recruited young Zimbabwean players for training and life mentoring in the UK.

One of the players, 21-year-old fast bowler Blessing Muzarabani, has since been lost to the Zimbabwe team after signing a three-year Kolpak deal with county side Northamptonshire.

Taibu was sacked as Zimbabwe’s chief selector in April alongside coach Heath Streak and captain Graeme Cremer after the failure to qualify for next year’s World Cup in England.
Zim Rules
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr Satendra Singh, Delhi, India
Twitter: @drsitu

Mueddie28

Re: Taibu bounces back to play in Sri Lanka

Post by Mueddie28 »

Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic) wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:10 am
FORMER Zimbabwe captain Tatenda Taibu will make a return to top-class cricket at the age of 35 after signing for a yet-to-be-named Sri Lankan domestic team ahead of the forthcoming first-class season.

It is yet another interesting twist in the life of Taibu, who quit international cricket in 2012 aged just 29, to focus on church work.

A devout Christian and ardent preacher, Taibu—who played 28 Tests, 150 One-Day Internationals and 17 Twenty20s for Zimbabwe—vowed not to have anything to do with cricket again, as he was busy ministering.

But the youngest Test captain in history made a surprise return to the game in 2016 after accepting the position of Zimbabwe’s convener of selectors, saying it was God’s wish that he did so.

Earlier in 2016, Taibu had made his initial comeback as a player after signing for Liverpool and District team Hightown St Mary’s in the United Kingdom.

Speaking to BBC Radio Merseyside, Highway publicist Nick Gordon said Taibu approached the club after they had advertised for an overseas player for the summer.

During his stay in England, Taibu launched the Rising Stars Academy, which recruited young Zimbabwean players for training and life mentoring in the UK.

One of the players, 21-year-old fast bowler Blessing Muzarabani, has since been lost to the Zimbabwe team after signing a three-year Kolpak deal with county side Northamptonshire.

Taibu was sacked as Zimbabwe’s chief selector in April alongside coach Heath Streak and captain Graeme Cremer after the failure to qualify for next year’s World Cup in England.
I hope nobody expects Taibu to play for Zimbabwe

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Get him in the team!
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Well I guess we have NickG here to give us the scoop! According to the article.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

I wonder how Taibu would feel about the decisions he has taken over the years through his career when he sits down contemplating at the age of 50. Of course the threats to his life and such things played their part, but he has shown himself to be resilient. He could have channeled the resilience to keep making comebacks to the national team. Leaving in 2012 for the "calling" was really bizarre - to do that at the peak of your prowess.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:22 am
I wonder how Taibu would feel about the decisions he has taken over the years through his career when he sits down contemplating at the age of 50. Of course the threats to his life and such things played their part, but he has shown himself to be resilient. He could have channeled the resilience to keep making comebacks to the national team. Leaving in 2012 for the "calling" was really bizarre - to do that at the peak of your prowess.
has he ?

he chucked it all in months before a world cup. Supposedly sold his tv etc for God.

He could have played and preached to a world stage.

Not that i believe the official line of his retirement.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Taibu kept wickets and got a half century on his FC return in SL: http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8830 ... -a-2018-19

Not bad. He now has 299 career FC catches (to go with 30 stumpings).

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

He quits for religious reasons then pitches up playing in the UK. ZC offers to get him back and he doesnt take a playing role as he still has church work but he takes an admin role.

He falls out with ZC then suddenly he is playing FC cricket again because his son wants to see him play. Like he couldnt see him play club cricket in the UK.. So if his son says wants to see him play for his country again what would he tell him? That he has to start his religious work again?

Sounds like a hypocrite to me. Just like when he was encouraging the rising stars to boycott ZC yet when Andy Flower asked him to take a stand he refused.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

TapsC wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:52 am
He quits for religious reasons then pitches up playing in the UK. ZC offers to get him back and he doesnt take a playing role as he still has church work but he takes an admin role.

He falls out with ZC then suddenly he is playing FC cricket again because his son wants to see him play. Like he couldnt see him play club cricket in the UK.. So if his son says wants to see him play for his country again what would he tell him? That he has to start his religious work again?

Sounds like a hypocrite to me. Just like when he was encouraging the rising stars to boycott ZC yet when Andy Flower asked him to take a stand he refused.
I’m finding I am nodding my head in agreement more and more with you these days.

Taibu is more myth than reality.
He talks a big game but his actions always contradict his words and stances he takes. When has he ever truly put Zim cricket ahead of himself?
He’s just another type of double speaking ZC associate.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

TapsC wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:52 am

Damn right the dude is a hypocrite. Seems to think the world revolves around him.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'