Taibu bounces back to play in Sri Lanka

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Taibu bounces back to play in Sri Lanka

Post by eugene »

Taibu was a class batsmen. His average would have been much higher was he not surrounded by a team that was falling apart in his prime batting years. Once the rebel saga happened, Taibu was basically our lone international-calibre player for a while.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

eugene wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:17 am
Taibu was a class batsmen. His average would have been much higher was he not surrounded by a team that was falling apart in his prime batting years. Once the rebel saga happened, Taibu was basically our lone international-calibre player for a while.
There’s just as strong an argument that he could succeed. Without pressure because of the crap around him. No pressure for his spot. Take his time...
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Without pressure?! Taibu had the most pressure on him of any international cricketer. If he failed, the team failed, if the team failed its very existence was brought into doubt. Not to mention his bosses were thugs and the country was a trainwreck.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

eugene wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:49 pm
Without pressure?! Taibu had the most pressure on him of any international cricketer. If he failed, the team failed, if the team failed its very existence was brought into doubt. Not to mention his bosses were thugs and the country was a trainwreck.
I was debating this with my friend who’s a semi pro cricketing batsman.
He said it’s always easier for him to bat when he’s played with a team full of spastics. He has no pressure for his spot, he has no pressures usually in terms of pacing and can get his eye in, if he fails, hes just one of 6 failures - it’s more embarrassing to get a duck when 5 other guys got 50s.

Even myself when I look back at last years seasn, the two fifties I made were both when I came in at 5/20 type scores, I had time on my side to build an innings and I just felt so much better the team had nothing to lose at that point. One of the games I came in at 5/27 and got 60* and chased down the 222 score with one wicket to spare. I just sat there and knocked it around a couple of singles an over
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Just 7 with the bat and 3 catches in the latest outing.

Updated Stats since comeback:

Matches: 7
Innings: 10
Runs: 263
Avg: 26.3
Catches: 19
Stumpings: 1
Wickets: 3

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

I want him to get that next stumping!

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Taibu not in the XI today. Possibly an injury as he did not bat in the second dig of the last game too.