Eddo Brandes dinner

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Eddo Brandes dinner

Post by Googly »

I had the pleasure of joining some old friends for a dinner/drinks evening with Eddo Brandes tonight. He chatted about his cricket career and our early Test days.
Tough hard uncompromising men that defied the odds to get us membership that a bunch of thieving ungrateful c*^ts have all but destroyed with their incompetence and thievery.
He was asked about his famous biscuit comment. His answer- not correct to bring that up because of Jane’s passing.
That’s why we are friends and that’s why I spit on the architects of our demise. Shame on you if you know what that means.

Andybligzz
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Eddo Brandes dinner

Post by Andybligzz »

That’s awesome googly I am very jealous of you sir . My old man absolutely loves eddy , he was a great cricketer and did lots of great things for zim cricket .
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Googly wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:18 pm
I had the pleasure of joining some old friends for a dinner/drinks evening with Eddo Brandes tonight. He chatted about his cricket career and our early Test days.
Tough hard uncompromising men that defied the odds to get us membership that a bunch of thieving ungrateful c*^ts have all but destroyed with their incompetence and thievery.
He was asked about his famous biscuit comment. His answer- not correct to bring that up because of Jane’s passing.
That’s why we are friends and that’s why I spit on the architects of our demise. Shame on you if you know what that means.
What's he like as a bloke? Does he still live in Zimbabwe

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Must have been a wonderful conversation.
Googly wrote:
That really shows what a gem of a character he is too. Heat of the moment is one thing and one's overall character is another altogether.

If the dinner is the same the one shared by the Alistair Campbell HPP, then do we have Googly anywhere there in the 4th picture here?
https://twitter.com/ACHPP1/status/1070155226018140161
:)

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

sloandog wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:28 am
Googly wrote:
What's he like as a bloke? Does he still live in Zimbabwe
i think he lives either in Brisbane or Noosa right?
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Eddo Brandes is an absolute legend.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Googly

Post by Googly »

Yeah Chicken George still lives in Aus. I believe it was a fund raiser for the Al Campbell Academy. Top bloke.
I listen to all those 80’s cricketers and what sticks out for me is their grim determination to compete. I think a few of our players don’t have that grunt. You have to believe that you belong and that as a team you can compete. That was a good era of cricket world wide, maybe because it was my era but nonetheless I was more captivated by those players than the modern guys, with the exception of Kohli- I love watching him play.

Googly

Post by Googly »

That’s the other thing- those guys from that era have a serious network, and many of them are in influential positions. ZC have ostracized all the guys that put our cricket on the map and it’s one of the main reasons we have failed. The results are not that different but we’ve missed a generation of tough cricketers that had a wealth of knowledge.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Googly wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:39 am
That’s the other thing- those guys from that era have a serious network, and many of them are in influential positions. ZC have ostracized all the guys that put our cricket on the map and it’s one of the main reasons we have failed. The results are not that different but we’ve missed a generation of tough cricketers that had a wealth of knowledge.
It's not too late to tap into that, if things change though surely.