Taibu Launches Bill Flower Academy in Harare

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC

Taibu Launches Bill Flower Academy in Harare

Post by TapsC »

https://www.theindependent.co.zw/2018/1 ... -stalwart/

Very good read about all the effort that went on in the background in the 90s. I wonder if we still have dedicated parents like that. A lot of parents dont realize that sports careers are usually not overnight things. The greatest sports players put in thousands of hours in their youth to become who they are. Especially sports like cricket and golf. You can have all the talent in the world but hard work really pays off. By the age of 16 a lot of the greats are 90% finished products.

Googly

Re: Taibu Launches Bill Flower Academy in Harare

Post by Googly »

Right here you’ve nailed our problem. At 16 99% of our boys are 20% of the way to the finished article, and of course those numbers will never get you a really good player. Until we change this right here we’re swimming upstream. We have to get the really good kids and more importantly the ones that have the passion and they need to be tucked under a good coach’s wing. We don’t need 27653 kids, we need a dozen.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Anybody got a picture of Bill Flower? I'd never even heard of him before this article.

A different era I guess, a different class of Zimbabwean which you simply don't get now days. Googly's generation were the gritty, tough minded people who wanted to get things done for the betterment of the younger generations, as is evident with what Bill Flower did with Tibba.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

sloandog wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:41 pm
Anybody got a picture of Bill Flower?
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:24 am
sloandog wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:41 pm
Anybody got a picture of Bill Flower?

That looks seriously like a mag shoot.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'