How good are we at test cricket?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

How good are we at test cricket?

Post by eugene »

To me it is clear that test matches are our best format. With that in mind how good do you really think we are at the longer form of the game? For me, I think we can pretty much hang with anyone except for India, England, South Africa, and maybe Australia. I am not saying we would beat everyone else, but I think we can certainly compete and be within a shot of a draw or win against any of the other full members. A rare moment of optimism but our test performances over the last few years have been encouraging - just imagine if we played more than one or two tests per year!
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: How good are we at test cricket?

Post by jaybro »

In the right conditions I feel the current side could compete with just about any side except maybe India and England because they are well rounded sides and play well in all conditions.

Although I don't think Zimbabwe could beat the following sides I think they could compete

Right now if Zimbabwe played South Africa at Bulawayo and made it slow and low with some turn for the spinners but no grass for the seamers I think the bowlers would trouble them, South Africa are the worst team at playing spin in the World. The batsman would also enjoy those conditions as they showed in Bangladesh they can handle it and especially since South Africa only have Maharaj as a spinner.

Australia would be a difficult task on a fast deck but once again on a slow low deck their batsman will struggle and fast bowlers won't be as effective, sure they have Nathan Lyon who would be a handful but I still think Zimbabwe could go with them for the most part of the match.

New Zealand would also have to be played on a similar surface and despite their win in the UAE I feel with the right application their spinners can be seen off, remember Zimbabwe did ok against Bangladesh on their 'dust pits' so their batsman can handle good spinners in spin friendly conditions.

Winning the toss and batting first is obviously key to these scenarios

The rest of the sides are all beatable in the right conditions

Bangladesh are hard to beat at home but on a hard fast deck they won't be as comfortable, their last away tours to South Africa and the Caribbean showed they don't like fast bowling, so if they prepared the same pitch at HSC that they used against the Windies in the qualifiers and played Chatara-Mumba-Jarvis they'd be well served to knock them over cheaply. Bangladesh have got themselves some good seamers in ODI and t20 cricket but in Tests they still seem to pick random young guys who can't find the right length to bowl overseas.

The Windies are vulnerable as well in spin friendly conditions as their tour of Bangladesh showed, they got themselves into good positions in both of last years' Tests in Bulawayo before letting them slip, so they know they where they went wrong and how to win.

Sri Lanka and Pakistan are both very inconsistent and susceptible to losing games from winnable positions, Pakistan are probably a better side than the one that Zimbabwe beat in 2013 despite the loss of Mis-You but with them you never know. I think Sri Lanka's tour of New Zealand will show their batsman don't like playing outside of the sub-continent.

Afghanistan and Ireland are beatable any time anywhere
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Tests are surely Zimbabwe's best format, based on recent results.

But it depends on how "competing" or "hanging with" is defined. Is it a certain margin of runs or certain number of days lasted? Zimbabwe simply play too few games to really know. Zimbabwe really needs to play Tests at home to see how they would do against the top sides.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

We still very much have the capacity to be blown away in two days away from home against the big boys.

Having said that we are edging towards being able to go the full five days against anyone in home conditions.

With all of the current best team available we are not worlds away from being as competitive as our best team of the late nineties.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Jemisi wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:47 am
We still very much have the capacity to be blown away in two days away from home against the big boys.
Apart from India, thats every Test team currently. Even India generally only wins 1 game overseas and loses all the rest. 2-6 record in ENG and SA away isn't exactly "competing" yet that is India's record. Hats off to NZ for winning in PAK, but as I said, PAK are massively overrated especially post MisYou.

The Robot
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by The Robot »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:50 am
Jemisi wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:47 am
Apart from India, thats every Test team currently. Even India generally only wins 1 game overseas and loses all the rest. 2-6 record in ENG and SA away isn't exactly "competing" yet that is India's record. Hats off to NZ for winning in PAK, but as I said, PAK are massively overrated especially post MisYou.
India still wins test matches overseas, whereas the rest of the Asian teams throws example to ICC, that playing a 3 day or 4 day test matches isn't a bad idea.
Robo to rule :oops:

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

The current trend is that winning the toss is even more important than home advantage. India have just become the first Asian team to win away tests in Australia, England, and South Africa in the same year.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

The Robot wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:45 am

India still wins test matches overseas, whereas the rest of the Asian teams throws example to ICC, that playing a 3 day or 4 day test matches isn't a bad idea.
Fair enough.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

eugene wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:58 am
India have just become the first Asian team to win away tests in Australia, England, and South Africa in the same year.
India are probably the first Asian to have played away tests in Australia, England, and South Africa in the same year.

If a monkey randomly presses keys on a typewriter long enough, he might spell one or two words.

Nanctus

Post by Nanctus »

As soon as there is a lot of swing on offer, I worry that there will be a repeat of the S.A. test match last year.
jaybro wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:02 am
Australia would be a difficult task on a fast deck but once again on a slow low deck their batsman will struggle and fast bowlers won't be as effective, sure they have Nathan Lyon who would be a handful but I still think Zimbabwe could go with them for the most part of the match.
I agree one hundred percent - despite their good performances over the years, Australian batsmen still struggle on dustbowls. After what happened in 2014 when Australia got toppled primarily by Waller, Nyumbu, and Willams (possibly Utseya too, can't remember) I would actually be quietly confident with spin on offer, especially with Cremer in the attack now.