How good are we at test cricket?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kriterion_BD

Re: How good are we at test cricket?

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:16 am

That’s the problem they don’t care about the game and know how to improve the game, they think by not having to play the big teams but getting a few scraps here or there from India is ok as long as they’re getting a free handout 🤬🤬🤬

They’re parading themselves around (the current board) saying they’ve saved the game in Zimbabwe and secured a ‘bright future’ that’s all rubbish they’ve just agreed to severe cost cuts enforced by the ICC and will run the game within the the restraints of the budget.

This means less cricket for the national team, less domestic cricket and less development, how that is seen as a bright future I don’t know? Until ZC finds people who can actual produce revenue from the game nothing will ever change, yes the ICC grants will always be the main body of the financial revenue, but earning extra revenue from hosting the bigger nations is the extra cream on top needed to improve the game.
There's a very simple answer to this. I would hope that ICC would be smart enough to figure this (or another system) out eventually.

The divisions are 9-3 so far, right? So why not have all 9 teams required to play one 2-Test series per two year cycle? India, England, and Australia can play only away series which is a win win for teams like ZIM who would earn a lot of revenue. This would mean 6 Tests every cycle (3 per year) vs top teams. Conversely, it could be done on a rotation policy: one cycle India, New Zealand, and Bangladesh would be required to play all 3 of ZIM, IRE, and AFG. The next cycle it would be Australia, Pakistan, and West Indies.

The Test tri series between ZIM-IRE-AFG is also a novel idea that might pull in guaranteed revenues which could be split via a pre-determined formula - say 40% for Afghanistan, and 30% each for the other 2 sides.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

After giving it some thought I will say that ZIM should follow the BD model and prepare tracks based on the opposition they are playing.

Against non-Asian sides, make a turning track at Harare or Bulawayo. This can of course cut both ways so its a bit of a gamble but one I think that can pay off often enough.

Against Asian sides, a greentop is the way to go given Jarvis, Chatara, and Mumba will be a very competent seam attack.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Debating which system the ICC should implement for fixtures is pointless, whatever they come up gets changed every three years anyway. The power base of cricket seems to rotate around England, India, and Australia and whenever one of them is in charge they change the system again. International cricket is really in bad shape, the only way the smaller nations can survive is by playing India every year - how sustainable is that? Yet you can throw together a few washed up cricketers in the Middle East and make millions with a T10 league. How on earth have we found ourselves in a situation where South Africa v West Indies is a less viable fixture than the Arabian Sloggers v Pakistani Pacers?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

eugene wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:03 pm
Debating which system the ICC should implement for fixtures is pointless, whatever they come up gets changed every three years anyway. The power base of cricket seems to rotate around England, India, and Australia and whenever one of them is in charge they change the system again. International cricket is really in bad shape, the only way the smaller nations can survive is by playing India every year - how sustainable is that? Yet you can throw together a few washed up cricketers in the Middle East and make millions with a T10 league. How on earth have we found ourselves in a situation where South Africa v West Indies is a less viable fixture than the Arabian Sloggers v Pakistani Pacers?
Probably has to do with pooled TV rights or the lack thereof. For example in American sports the NFL and NBA have leaguewise broadcast rights. The NY Giants are a much more profitable team than the Carolina Panthers, for example. But I'm sure they get equal or roughly equal shares from the NFL broadcast rights. Same thing in the NBA with big teams like the Lakers vs small ones like the Utah Jazz.

But cricket can't do that, because Indians would claim they are making all the money and small teams are stealing it. Granted, the ICC is smart enough to at least sell world cup rights as one package. Imagine if all countries were on their own for that.

So it could always be worse.

I think the new Test and ODI leagues will be able to inject some more context and boost revenue. Its why I've been a supporter of a league system since the rumors first started several years back.

eugene

Post by eugene »

You can bet the Test Championship will soon be scrapped if one of the final two teams is not from the big three. Could you ever see the ICC playing a test championship final between New Zealand and Sri Lanka for example?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

eugene wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:38 pm
You can bet the Test Championship will soon be scrapped if one of the final two teams is not from the big three. Could you ever see the ICC playing a test championship final between New Zealand and Sri Lanka for example?
The fact that it will be spread over 6 series in 2 years means we won’t have to worry about non Big 3 teams in the final. Sri Lanka will never be ranked in the top 2 over a long period of time like 6 series. Neither will NZ.

Only India, England, and Australia have the depth to pull
It off, year in year out. Staffers may have an outside shot. But even PAK and NZ type teams are just not good enough IMO.

eugene

Post by eugene »

I don't know, test cricket is a bit up and down at the moment with no one really dominating home and away. I could easily see Pakistan or South Africa getting into the top two.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

I think you'll find the standard of test cricketers, in particular batsman, isnt what it was even in recent memory.

Bowling still seems ok though, anecdotally, it looks like totals are getting smaller. Its rare i keep tabs on a match and see a team 3/260 now.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

eugene

Post by eugene »

I remember all those Langer/Hayden 200+ opening partnerships, nobody is doing that now.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

I feel some relief at the lower scores. The bowlers have been bleeding badly and some balance is nice. Batsmen trying to survive is a crucial element of quality cricket. The blunt swiping of T20 with no nuance is boring.