Has the sun begun to set on Sibanda’s career?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
kudet
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Has the sun begun to set on Sibanda’s career?

Post by kudet »

https://www.sundaymail.co.zw/has-the-su ... das-career

Vusimusi Sibanda never imagined that he would play 250 List A matches.

After all, with a career that includes 127 One Day Internationals and 14 Tests, it was quite easy for such milestones to fall through the cracks.

But then again, Cricket is the game of numbers.

“I didn’t even know about it; the 250 List A matches that is,” said Sibanda.

“For me, what it basically says is that I have been around for a very long time.

“That said, it’s still a good milestone to have under one’s belt,” he said.

As far as loaded words go, it doesn’t get any bigger than that.

In fact, there a was a sense of finality about the 35-year-old’s words as The Sunday Mail caught up with Midwest Rhinos’ batsman ahead of his 250th List A match, which was spoiled by a five-wicket defeat against Mash Eagles at Harare Sports Club last week.

Sibanda was out for 10 in his milestone match.

Missing was the celebratory tone and quick-witted exchange Sibanda is usually known for; egging the question, ‘has Sibanda’s time at the crease come to an end?

“As far as future plans go; I am still yet to decide, but it’s something that you will find out soon.

“Whether I want to prolong my career or put it to an end you, I am not going to disclose that now,” said Sibanda.

Should he retire, Sibanda will not be short of options, given he currently holds an ECB Level Three certificate, has dabbled a bit in commentary and has a family to look after.

Rhinos have been quick to jump on his coaching resume, appointing the 35-year-old as a player/coach on the eve of the 2018/19 domestic season.

“I was asked to move to Midwest, the word was to be player-coach, but that wasn’t finalised up until the board meeting, I am told,” said Sibanda.

“I only found out not too long ago that Adam Chifo is the coach,” said Sibanda.

On the commentary issue, Sibanda said, “I enjoy it, it’s good fun talking and analysing the game.

“I would love to do that, given the opportunity,” he said.

Born October 10, 1983, Sibanda made his international debut back 2003, playing his first Test and ODIs against West Indies.

Though it’s been two years since his last internationals, the hope is that there is still gas in that tank and the cricket gods grant him one more crack at the big time.

After all, Sibanda is six runs shy of the 3000 ODI runs milestone, with 2994 runs from 127 ODIs.

“One would say yes, but that all depends on how things pan out in the future,” said Sibanda.

“It all depends on what happens from here onwards, it (my career) has always been full of ups and downs as you know, just like any other athlete.

“If they(selectors) see me as someone fit to represent the nation, I will be more than happy to do it,” he said.

Should that fail to come to fruition, there is still the Sibanda family.

Gone are the days when he used to be a cricket-nuffie who would do shadow-batting at home.

Now, when he is at home, he is home!

In fact, the cricket field is the furthest thing from his mind.

“Your lifestyle changes as soon as you get a family and your responsibilities become more and more,” said Sibanda, who has three kids.

“(Shadow-batting) that used to be me back in the days, but after playing for so many years, I have stopped doing that.

“When I get home it’s time to reflect on certain things and be with family.

“Do what needs to be done at home, relax and get your mind off of the game,” he said.

jaybro

Re: Has the sun begun to set on Sibanda’s career?

Post by jaybro »

I think at 35 he’d have to be scoring a shit load of runs to be brought back now.

Must be a very weird dynamic going on in those Rhinos sheds, considering Tari and Moor have captained the side with Vusi as a player coach along with two former national team captains Cremer and BT there as well
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

We need more intelligent coaches that have played the game at the highest level in the system. This should probably be his last as a player and next his first as a coach. As long as he isn’t tasked with coaching mental toughness!
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:06 pm
As long as he isn’t tasked with coaching mental toughness!
Or shot selection.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Googly

Post by Googly »

When Vusi is on song he’s a delight to watch, but he can really invent some poor ways of throwing away his wicket. The curse of Zim batsmen- low percentage shots.
He’d make a great coach I reckon, good guy.