Batsman Numbers Breakdown

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC
Posts: 1820
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:54 am

Re: Batsman Numbers Breakdown

Post by TapsC » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:15 am

What I find more interesting is that this justifies something I actually never used to agree with. The theory that the pre-2004 guys were better even though they had lower averages because they played against better opponents. Those tier 1 averages kind of prove that theory.

User avatar
jaybro
Posts: 6977
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:36 am
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Batsman Numbers Breakdown

Post by jaybro » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:26 am

TapsC wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:15 am
What I find more interesting is that this justifies something I actually never used to agree with. The theory that the pre-2004 guys were better even though they had lower averages because they played against better opponents. Those tier 1 averages kind of prove that theory.
I guess if I were to analyse the pre 2004 guys you’d have to Class Bangladesh as a Tier 3 side, I haven’t got much on at work atm so maybe I’ll have a look at it.

The thing to remember is that by playing the Tier 1 sides more often, it made the guys better, how much better can’t be measured.
1.G.Flower 2.B.Taylor 3.M.Goodwin 4.A.Flower 5.D.Houghton 6.N.Johnson 7.T.Taibu 8.P.Strang 9.H.Streak 10.R.Price 11.H.Olonga 12.A.Campbell

Kriterion_BD
Posts: 3887
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:41 am

Re: Batsman Numbers Breakdown

Post by Kriterion_BD » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:41 am

Out of curiosity, I did a similar analysis of Bangladesh's ODI batsmen. Back in 2004, both BD and ZIM were in a similar position. Both had a lot of very young players thrust into the fire without any guidance from senior players (BD didn't have any seniors of high repute, and ZIM lost theirs in the rebel crisis).

Tier 1 Average (Innings) @ Strike Rate

Soumya_______39.50 (13) @ 94.42
Mushfiqur_____38.77 (44) @ 81.02
Mahmudullah__35.03 (36) @ 75.74
Tamim_______33.56 (49) @ 83.86
Shakib________28.28 (49) @ 72.07
Liton_________26.90 (11) @ 88.48
Sabbir________25.07 (15) @ 90.93
Mosaddek_____24.00 (6) @ 59.62
Habibul_______22.54 (31) @ 57.34
Ashraful______21.79 (40) @ 73.02


Soumya has only played 13 innings. But we see that while the Big 4 have decent to good numbers, the younger guys like Liton, Sabbir, Mosaddek really need to work on their games.
(my cricket podcast) https://aewahid.podbean.com

Nanctus
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:14 am

Re: Batsman Numbers Breakdown

Post by Nanctus » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:30 am

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:41 am
Out of curiosity, I did a similar analysis of Bangladesh's ODI batsmen. Back in 2004, both BD and ZIM were in a similar position. Both had a lot of very young players thrust into the fire without any guidance from senior players (BD didn't have any seniors of high repute, and ZIM lost theirs in the rebel crisis).

Tier 1 Average (Innings) @ Strike Rate

Soumya_______39.50 (13) @ 94.42
Mushfiqur_____38.77 (44) @ 81.02
Mahmudullah__35.03 (36) @ 75.74
Tamim_______33.56 (49) @ 83.86
Shakib________28.28 (49) @ 72.07
Liton_________26.90 (11) @ 88.48
Sabbir________25.07 (15) @ 90.93
Mosaddek_____24.00 (6) @ 59.62
Habibul_______22.54 (31) @ 57.34
Ashraful______21.79 (40) @ 73.02


Soumya has only played 13 innings. But we see that while the Big 4 have decent to good numbers, the younger guys like Liton, Sabbir, Mosaddek really need to work on their games.
When Liton started playing internationals I thought he was going to be the next big player for BD, but he seems to be struggling at the moment. Reminds me a bit of Musakanda in the way that they seem to have potential but just haven't clicked yet. From what I've seen, sometimes it takes one big season of good form and players find their place at international level... if only they had more consistent schedules.

Jemisi
Posts: 7272
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:04 am
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: Batsman Numbers Breakdown

Post by Jemisi » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:07 am

Jaybro, if it isn't too much trouble what are the combined tier 1&2 numbers?

I did a top 8 versus the rest comparison a few years ago that I'd like to compare to these updated stats you've done.

User avatar
jaybro
Posts: 6977
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:36 am
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Batsman Numbers Breakdown

Post by jaybro » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:41 am

Jemisi wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:07 am
Jaybro, if it isn't too much trouble what are the combined tier 1&2 numbers?

I did a top 8 versus the rest comparison a few years ago that I'd like to compare to these updated stats you've done.
No problem at all
1.G.Flower 2.B.Taylor 3.M.Goodwin 4.A.Flower 5.D.Houghton 6.N.Johnson 7.T.Taibu 8.P.Strang 9.H.Streak 10.R.Price 11.H.Olonga 12.A.Campbell

Jemisi
Posts: 7272
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:04 am
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: Batsman Numbers Breakdown

Post by Jemisi » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:32 am

Cheers mate

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests