Pro50 discussion with an eye on ODI series

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Pro50 discussion with an eye on ODI series

Post by jaybro »

Sorry fellas I had this ready to go last week but got busy at work Friday arvo so just keep in mind I was writing this prior to the weekend, so some of the guys who did well on the weekend didn't feature.

With the Pro50 Championship to kick off again this weekend it's a good chance for players to put their hands up for national honours with the UAE & Afghanistan series coming up. There's obviously a handful of guys who are certain starters for the XI but we'll have a look at some other guys who are either trying to cling onto their spots or trying to force their way into the side.

Tuskers

Brain Chari - Probably a long shot considering he's had his chances in the ODI side before and failed to impress, but after a good Logan Cup season coupled with a good last showing in the Mirpur Test Chari's name is likely to be thrown around the selection table. There always seems to be an opening spot up for grabs for Zimbabwe so if Chari can string together some good performances he might be a starter against the UAE.

Craig Ervine - A couple of years ago Ervine was the first name picked on the team sheet for Zimbabwe but after a horror 2018 where he found himself out of the ODI & Test sides 'Slug' needs a a string of big scores to find himself back in the ODI side. He started the Logan Cup season with a bang scoring a ton, but his form tailed off to finish with a disappointing average of 32, with a spot in the middle order the hardest to come by in the national side Ervine looks unlikely to feature in the 1st ODI v UAE.

Chris Mpofu - Bobby seems to get better with age and despite not getting many chances to play for the national side in 2018 he did impress with his variations in the t20 series v South Africa. Mpofu is also coming off a good Logan Cup season where he took 20 wickets @ 24 a piece and the selectors will also remember he was the leading wicket taker against Afghanistan the last time they toured. The two main factors working against Mpofu is his age of course with the coach Rajpot hinting that they would look to bring through younger players under his reign, but the biggest issue is his batting. With Jarvis & Chatara likely to take the new ball having Mpofu as the 3rd seamer means Zimbabwe would have three No.11's in the side which would leave them a long tail, you'd think Mpofu is fighting for either Jarvis' or Chatara's spot which makes him an unlikely starter in the 1st XI but could feature at some point.

Rhinos

Tari Musakanda - Despite not featuring in the last 7 ODI sides picked for Zimbabwe it feels as though the second opener's spot is Tari's to lose after his 'thus far' impressive move up to open for the Rhinos. It's been a bold move by the youngster but he has obviously realised his best chance to play in the side is to open so kudos to him for making the move. He still needs a string of good scores to finish out the season to seal his spot, but he's the guy the selectors, management and fans want in the XI, which makes him a short price favourite to open with Hamilton.

Neville Madziva - The forgotten man in Zimbabwe after he fell out of favour and out of form in recent times but he's coming off a decent Logan Cup season where he made solid contributions with bat and ball. Madziva will be targeting Tiripano's spot in the side as the 3rd seam bowling allrounder and after the Don's mediocre tour of Bangladesh the selectors might look to make a change. He needs a really big finish to the Pro50 season to force his way in so at this point Madziva is an outside chance at best.

Carl Mumba - After missing nearly 18 months with a knee injury it's been a slow road to recovery for Mumba and he hasn't quite found his best form yet for the Rhinos taking just the 12 wickets in the Logan Cup, although the Rhinos do have plenty of bowling options which spreads out the wickets a bit. He's probably seen as more of a Test bowler but if the selectors are looking for someone to bowl some hostile spells to rattle the Emiraties & Afghans then Mumba might be the man, probably an outside chance at this stage.

Brendan Mavuta & Tendai Chisoro - Put these guys together because they're fighting for the same spot in the side whilst playing in the same side. With Cremer out of action these guys are the front runners IMO along with Wellington so they'll need a good Pro50 to seal their spot. Mavuta is definitely the front runner due to him being the youngest and more attacking of the two spinners but Chisoro bowls with much better control and leaks less runs, Mavuta also has more shots as a batsman but Chisoro has knuckled down before and won games for Zimbabwe with the bat. Mavuta looks the most likely to win the spot although considering the opposition don't be surprised if Zimbabwe pick four seamers and rely on Williams and Raza for spin.

Mountaineers

Tymcen Maruma - Coming off a huge Logan Cup season Maruma is back in the conversation for national honours despite his many wasted chances in the side. Hard to see him cracking a middle order spot although he could possibly un-seed Chigumbura as the No.7. Personally not a guy I would be looking at but you can't ignore his numbers, needs a big few weeks in the Pro 50, unlikely starter at this point.

William Mashinge - Young talented and raw Mashinge is the guy I'd like to see in Tiripano's spot as the bowling allrounder or even bat as high as No.7 if needed. Didn't set the world alight with the bat in the Logan Cup but took 15 wickets @16 whilst competing for wickets against a stacked bowling lineup. He bowls fast enough and hits a long ball two things the current side is missing. Should be in the squad IMO.

Wellington Masakadza - Has had his chances in the last 12 months but for me he's just not threatening enough with the ball or bat to be in the side, also coming off a poor Logan Cup season. The coach seems to like him and he is always lively in the field but doesn't look a likely wicket taker and struggles to keep the runs down, needs a big Pro 50 IMO but shouldn't be a head of Mavuta or Chisoro.

Eagles

Cephas Zhuwao - Despite opening in the last three ODI's you feel Zhuwao needs a really big Pro50 to keep his spot in the side. He did ok in the first two ODI's v Bangladesh but his mode of dismissals seems to always be poor. With Tari looking the likely partner to open with Hamilton I'd say Zhuwao is unlikely to feature for Zimbabwe in these two series.

Elton Chigumbura - The fans have had a gut full of this guy but the selectors keep picking him for reasons unknown, or is it because he's Utseya's best friend? Has the No.7 spot at this point but I'd rather see Mashinge or Jongwe take that role, a solid Pro50 with one decent score will likely see him retain his spot.

Tinashe Kamunhukamwe - Exciting young opener who topped the Pro50 run charts last season is probably an outside chance to open with Hamilton unless he puts out some big scores. He's definitely one for the future having made his ODI debut and touring South Africa but I reckon he's just behind Tari at this point and maybe on par with Cephas.

Luke Jongwe - Coming from a long way back Jongwe is a very long shot to make the squad after gone missing for the last two years, his move from the Tuskers to the Eagles has been a puzzling one as his chances have been limited at the Eagles who are stacked for talent, whilst a depleted Tuskers could have used his batting and bowling. Very much a 100-1 chance for the squads.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Pro50 discussion with an eye on ODI series

Post by Black Mamba »

Not only Pro 50. Performances in 2018 should also be mapped in selecting squad

Batting
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine ... ;type=year

Bowling

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Black Mamba wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:08 am
Not only Pro 50. Performances in 2018 should also be mapped in selecting squad

Batting

Bowling
I would argue performances for the national side have much more weight than the Pro50, that's why guys who performed well for the national side are seen as 'certain starters'

But none of the guys mentioned have really done much in recent times in the national side so the Pro50 is their chance to shine and win a spot with the two ODI series just around the corner

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

No Jakiel, or is he already considered a lock for the Zimbabwe XI?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

To be honest I dont see the point of playing a full stregnth team against the UAE just because they knocked us out of the World Cup. Thats the past. We have to focus on the future.

For the first 2 UAE games I would play a younger team and then mix it up for the last 2 games. I would keep BT Hami Williams Chatara Raza and Jarvis out of the UAE games too.

first 2 games

Musakanda
Kamunhukamwe
Burl
PJ
Maruma
Tsiga(wk)
Jongwe
Mashinge
Mavuta
Nyauchi
Mumba

Last 2

Mire
Zhuwao
Tari
Ervine
Burl
Maruma
PJ(wk)
Chibhabha
Chisoro
Mumba
Mpofu

If we try 2 teams like this we will get an idea of our squad depth and who out of the kids and the fringe players is worth keeping. It wont be easy either. I think the UAE whitewashed our A team in 2017 but its a worthy development exercise in my opinion.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

In a perfect world yes the UAE series would be a good chance to blood some youngsters, although blooming that many at once might be too risky, as you pointed out they whitewashed an A team very similar to the one’s you’ve put up.

Also I see this series more so as a chance to get warmed up for the Afghanistan series ( which is now a massive one for Zimbabwe) so the senior guys will need some game time and the selectors might want to try some new guys.

I’d play a strong side for the first 2 games then if they’re up 2-0 maybe then try some other guys out and rest the mainstays.

Zimbabwe need a series win here, that’s the most important thing.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Also remember under Streak Zimbabwe twice rested key players after taking a 2-0 lead against the Dutch, and both times the backups got hammered.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

eugene wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:50 am
No Jakiel, or is he already considered a lock for the Zimbabwe XI?
Well as I said I had this mostly typed up before the weekend so some guys have done well over the weekend and come into the conversation, maybe our Man Jakiel is one of those