Cyclone Idai

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
kudet
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Cyclone Idai

Post by kudet »

Not so cricket related at all but good to see cricketers come up with initiatives to support the cause with Hamilton Masakadza, Sikandar Raza, Craig Ervine and Brendan Taylor being the most vocal. Also good to see the ZC management contributing towards the Cyclone Idai which has massively affected the Manicaland Province, the home of the Mountaineers.

https://www.dailynews.co.zw/articles/20 ... clone-idai

https://twitter.com/ZimCricketv/status/ ... 3535109120
Zimbabwe Cricket

Verified account

@ZimCricketv
10h10 hours ago
More
@ZimCricketv chairman Tavengwa Mukuhlani, flanked by our men's captain Hamilton Masakadza and women's captain Mary-Anne Musonda, gives a speech before handing over our donations to @ZBCtv TV director Robson Mhandu. The broadcaster is coordinating relief efforts #CycloneIdai

https://twitter.com/Craig_Ervine77/stat ... 3751188480
Craig Ervine

Verified account

@Craig_Ervine77
Following Following @Craig_Ervine77
More
Get involved people please.
People in Zimbabwe need our help!
Please donate generously
Thanks @econetzimbabwe for setting this up and initiating it.
I will be donating my award “Player of the tournament” from the 20/20 comp letition to the cause!
@tuskerscricketZ
#CycloneIdai

https://twitter.com/SRazaB24/status/1107524917099184129
Sikandar Raza

Verified account

@SRazaB24
Following Following @SRazaB24
More Sikandar Raza Retweeted Econet Wireless
Get involved people please.
People in Zimbabwe needs our help!
Please donate generously
Thanks @econetzimbabwe for setting and initiating this.
I will be donating the match fee and the winning bonus from the 20/20 finals.
@tuskerscricketZ
#CycloneIdai

https://twitter.com/BrendanTaylor86/sta ... 2058166273
Brendan Taylor

Verified account

@BrendanTaylor86
Following Following @BrendanTaylor86
More
I urge all @ZimCricketv player's to come together. We can make a huge impact to those affected! #cycloneidai

ZIMDOGGY

Re: Cyclone Idai

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

I swear Zimbabwe is a country that’s been cursed or damned.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Googly

Post by Googly »

This cyclone has had a devastating impact on us. The tragic thing was everyone knew it was coming and did diddly.
There’s more bad news coming because Beira is our main port and specifically where we get our fuel from.
Once mainstream media leave the affected areas, which is about now, our politicians will be hot on their heels and these stricken areas will be left to their own devices.
We are definitely cursed.

kudet

Post by kudet »

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/1168455

Zimbabwe Cricket have announced all proceeds from their third ODI against United Arab Emirates (UAE) will go towards Cyclone Idai relief efforts.

Several Zimbabwe players have since said they will buy tickets to give to supporters to support the scheme. Sikandar Raza kicked things off, saying he would buy 50 tickets per game in the series, which would be given out for free to fans. Fellow Zimbabwean internationals Brendon Taylor, PJ Moor, and Kyle Jarvis then said they would match Raza’s donation.

View image on TwitterView image on Twitter

Sikandar Raza

@SRazaB24
I will be buying 50 tickets per game vs @EmiratesCricket and they will be available at Gate4 with Kuda Gaffa and will be given out on 1st Come 1st Serve Basis!
A small token of appreciation towards our fans and a small gesture towards #CycloneIdai effected.#ZimVsUAE

11:58 AM - Apr 4, 2019
216 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
Cyclone Idai, which struck Zimbabwe and several other African countries in March, was one of the deadliest tropical cyclones to affect the Southern Hemisphere, leaving over 1,000 dead. Estimates suggest it caused over US$1 billion worth of damage. You can donate to the relief effort here.

The ODI series between Zimbabwe and UAE kicks off on 10 April.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Raza, BT, PJ & KJ have all said they’ll buy 50 tickets to give away for the 1st game

Nice gesture
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

I remember the ICC (or was it?) organizing a random T20 match in UK for an earlier cyclone that ravaged the Caribbean. They even gave it international status and the likes of Collingwood and Afridi came out of retirement and played in it. Why not something similar by ZC+ICC for Cyclone Idai? Can the ICC really show that they really care for ZC and the people of Zimbabwe?

If a match is held at Lords, that would be a Zim match in UK in ages...

Googly

Post by Googly »

Now I’m confused- ZC announce that the proceeds of the third ODI will go towards cyclone victims?
Previously we have been told that it costs money to play games and even more to host them, now we have the luxury of proceeds? From where exactly?
With Taylor, Raza, PJ, Ervine stumping up for 50 tickets each for fans on a first come first served basis that will take care of most of the gate proceeds :lol: so is ZC trying to piggy back off this initiative or are there other proceeds we don’t know about?
I wish some “indigenous” players would get behind this. Always the same old people lending a hand. Don’t bite the hand that slaps you :lol:

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:24 am
I remember the ICC (or was it?) organizing a random T20 match in UK for an earlier cyclone that ravaged the Caribbean. They even gave it international status and the likes of Collingwood and Afridi came out of retirement and played in it. Why not something similar by ZC+ICC for Cyclone Idai? Can the ICC really show that they really care for ZC and the people of Zimbabwe?

If a match is held at Lords, that would be a Zim match in UK in ages...
Would it be fair if the proceeds went only to ZIM when the most devastation occurred in Mozambique, which is not an ICC member?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Googly wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:20 pm
I wish some “indigenous” players would get behind this. Always the same old people lending a hand. Don’t bite the hand that slaps you :lol:
I’ve noticed this a lot with Africans and charity.
It’s always the white and Muslim guys that do things like this. I’m not talking just cricket. Also government and businesses. Anecdotal observation.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:04 am
I’ve noticed this a lot with Africans and charity.
It’s always the white and Muslim guys that do things like this. I’m not talking just cricket. Also government and businesses. Anecdotal observation.
Nothing to do with skin color. It has to be do with available resources as well as ideology. "White" and Muslim institutions both believe in proselytization for their respective religions. They also have the money for it (American/European and Gulf Arab).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)