Zimbabwe Squad for Odi Series Against UAE 2019

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Andybligzz
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Zimbabwe Squad for Odi Series Against UAE 2019

Post by Andybligzz »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:52 am
Andybligzz wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:39 am

Yeh but he would be making
More in zim no matter what unless he breaks a county side which I highly doubt .
With so much uncertainty in Zim, I don't think it can categorically be said he would make more. There may more periods where ZC can't pay players again, and then what does he do. At least in the UK, there would be pathways for him to stay employed in cricket in many areas and earn a good living whilst giving his family a comfortable lifestyle even if he did not manage to crack a top county side.
I agree completely with you , but the option of international cricket if he is picked surely would be more thrilling and it seems it’s what he is after . I know it is extremely uncertain but he is more likely to forge a career even if he only plays a handful more tests / Odis rather than leaving now . A good import here in aus barely makes a living and I’ve played against former internationals such as Schofield (eng) , Ryan Campbell ( aus ) and Peter Worthington ( wa state player ) all these guys were on around 700 aus dollars a game which is not great , you would have to work a full time job and that would be their pocket money . I highly doubt someone like Burl with his international average being very low would get more money even if it’s in England . I get your point but I think it is a more win win staying in zim and fighting it out , his time will come I’m sure of it .
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Zimbabwe Squad for Odi Series Against UAE 2019

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

jaybro wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:45 pm
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:14 am
What’s sad is my prediction is everyone is basically going to hope Elton fails (including me) because it’s blatantly obvious he shouldn’t and doesn’t deserve to be there.

Selectors have ruined the memory of a player that could have been looked back on fondly.
Agree 100% I actually stop myself when I'm ranting about him because he was probably my favourite player post rebel era along with BT & Ed Rainsford. I was always a big believer in both his batting and bowling and would push his case on here regularly for both. But he really has dropped off big time and now his 'political selection' has made him dis-liked by not only people here on the forum but amongst all Zim cricket fans.

When the squad was announced on twitter I checked all the comments, 99% were all about him, most in Shona so I couldn't understand it, but I doubt they were singing his praises. Hopefully he announces he'll retire after the t20 WC and has one final 'up-turn' in form and leaves cricket on a high note with some fireworks so he can leave us with some fond memories.

For a guy who's played for so long and captained the side it is really sad to see it all come to this
I used to have a soft spot for Elton. I used to think that he was the only batsman in our squad who would go on the front foot and take the other teams to the sword with aggressive hitting when we played largely meek and mild cricket in the earlier part of this decade. I remember watching the 2014 t20 qualifiers against UAE when Zimbabwe seemed to start slipping down a hole when the run rate climbed to ten, but he came out and bashed it around and we won easily. To me he wasn’t a great bat and still a weak link BUT A bit of a galloping bronco amongst Mares. But now he’s turned into a dead horse getting flogged by his mates in ZC and those days are long ago. He doesn’t really perform at first class level either. Which is an absolute pre requisite at the standard the game is. Look how Ervine for instance carved up recently. And even Maruma and such leaves him for dead.

His legacy has become a joke and he’s now just seen as part of the corrupt Zanu establishment. Maybe Matsikenyeri level? He just needs to play the race card and he will be Prosper Utseya 2.0.

Another player who could have gone down as a stabilising force of the 00’s but now is basically seen as the Villain to anyone still paying atttention.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*