Taibu ready to start Bill Flower Academy and release his autobiography

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Andybligzz
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Taibu ready to start Bill Flower Academy and release his autobiography

Post by Andybligzz »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:50 am
There's a few things for me in this excerpt.

Mangongo is beating players, yet gets away with being an excellent coach and mentor. I don't care how good you are or think you are, you have no right to beat anyone. Why is he played off as a good guy all the time despite the countless accounts of his abuse and terrible man management.

Neil is being branded as a racist for calling Muleleki as nugget. Now I can see the point he is making, but he also claims that Neil and Muleleki got on very well. Surely people who get on well do not call each other racist names or allow that to happen. He is giving his view on why he got the name, but it could also be that he got it for an inside joke or something. So who is Henry to call out Neil when two guys who get on well interact in a certain way, especially if Neil asked Muleleki if he is ok with the name and he said he is.

I'm not denying racism occurred in certain individuals and parts, but it seems like the points being made are that racism can only occur if white people in Zim do something, but if a black person does it then it is allowed and ok. Where is the line.

The coach who shouted at him is on the wrong, particularly when he says, "you people". It cannot be allowed and never allowed. It needs to be stamped out. In saying that, Taibu should also have tried to call his teammates or contact someone to find out about the game. If you want something, you go for it and you make effort to get it. You don't wait for it to come to you.

He also speaks about ZCU programme which brought a lot of black people through the system before 2004. Wonder who was running the game before then to be able to implement these programmes...Now look at the game.

When will this game of us vs them stop so that we could put the sport, the players, the fans, and the country first.
Very well said
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

I've searched all over the Internet for Kudzai Taibu's picture for the Photo Quiz thread, assuming that even if he has left the game, he would at least be in some profession and would be putting up a profile of his own somewhere...

Now its clear why there are literally no pics of him anywhere...

Googly

Post by Googly »

It would be interesting to know how many migrant families flooded into this country when it was booming. The Olonga’s are from Kenya, probably from the same ‘hood as Obama! :lol: :lol:
But there are a large number of people that have not lived here past about 3 generations, yet have had their land returned to them :lol:
Not that TT was one of them, he was offered but refused.

He didn’t pull any punches about Mangongo, you can’t hang a guy out to dry like that and then try and retrieve it by saying what a tireless, passionate guy he was and how good he was for development cricket. Well I guess you can, and he just did. :lol:
There are actually a number of local coaches that cajole as opposed to encourage, Ive seen a lot of that.
If he’s as forthright about everyone in cricket it will make an interesting read. He will have seen the worst of everyone I reckon, but he will have to be careful, it’s still not safe to blurt out what really has gone on. It would be good to do it as a sworn affidavit and hand it to ICC and fraud squad. :lol:

jward

Post by jward »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:50 am
There's a few things for me in this excerpt.

Mangongo is beating players, yet gets away with being an excellent coach and mentor. I don't care how good you are or think you are, you have no right to beat anyone. Why is he played off as a good guy all the time despite the countless accounts of his abuse and terrible man management.

Neil is being branded as a racist for calling Muleleki as nugget. Now I can see the point he is making, but he also claims that Neil and Muleleki got on very well. Surely people who get on well do not call each other racist names or allow that to happen. He is giving his view on why he got the name, but it could also be that he got it for an inside joke or something. So who is Henry to call out Neil when two guys who get on well interact in a certain way, especially if Neil asked Muleleki if he is ok with the name and he said he is.
In his autobiography Henry refers to this incident, without going into details, and says that later he wrote a personal letter to every team member who was there to apologize for his outburst.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Not too sure he had anything to apologize about. You can’t good naturedly be calling someone nugget and not expect them to eventually react. That was the problem in those days, a lot of guys did say stuff that wasn’t cool.
I’d like Henry to write a book, I loved watching him bowl, an absolute legend of Zim cricket. He was a tremendous athlete, I remember once walking on the field and there was sawdust in his footmarks and I marveled at what a long stride he had, he really used to steam in.
Many mistakes made back then, and even more now.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Henry’s brother, Victor, was a brilliant rugby player. There were allegations of racism in the rugby and much finger pointing back then and Victor was in the thick of it. That was around about the time Mliswa accused the coach (an Aussie) of being a racist and that got really nasty. Mliswa in those days wanted the coaching slot for himself, he’s raised his sights a bit, these days he wants to be President. He makes a few of the right noises but no one forgets the mayhem he’s caused. He’s actually pretty smart, our very own Julius.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Googly wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 7:16 pm
Not too sure he had anything to apologize about. You can’t good naturedly be calling someone nugget and not expect them to eventually react. That was the problem in those days, a lot of guys did say stuff that wasn’t cool.
I’d like Henry to write a book, I loved watching him bowl, an absolute legend of Zim cricket. He was a tremendous athlete, I remember once walking on the field and there was sawdust in his footmarks and I marveled at what a long stride he had, he really used to steam in.
Many mistakes made back then, and even more now.
Gotta disagree.
Neil was good friends with Nkala and affectionately had that nickname. No elephant in the room. Just a black guy and a white guy being friends. The way it should be. Not tippytoeing around obvious things. But embracing it and rising above it. You should see the things I call my Muslim and Arab friends and vice versa.
I’m one of the most racist guys I know yet the Middle East of Sydney loves me. On the flip They don’t like the hippies that see racism on every corner. That ain’t real. It’s virtue signalling and they just think those guys are weird. Think about that. It’s the same thing. I bet Nkala was embarrassed by Henry. Nkala seems a genuine and easygoing guy.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Although Nkala and Johnson may have been friends and were both comfortable with the nick name which was obviously referring to Nkala's skin colour, not everyone will feel comfortable with it so although you can argue Henry was being too sensitive the fact is Johnson shouldn't have been using that nick name in front of too many people because although it was directed at Nkala it has offended Henry and maybe some of the other black guys.

I think most people have at some point in their lives made or used a nick name for a friend referring to their ethnicity and as long as both parties are ok with it, nobody gets hurt as long as it stays between them. Once you start using it in front of other people you're bound to offend someone.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Googly wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 7:16 pm
He has already written one? "Blood, Sweat and Treason: My Story" is the title.

From what I remember, there were some exaggerations according to those who read it and shared their views here, I haven't personally read it.

BTW, the only Cricket autobiography I have read so far is that of Steve Waugh. And it was worth it. May be I'll buy Taibu's.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I’ve read Waugh’s Petersen’s, Botham’s, Boycott’s, Hussey’s, Gibbs’, Butcher’s, Fletcher’s and quite a few others. Enjoyed all of them. Perhaps my favorite was Woolmer’s, what a brilliant man.
I wasn’t aware Olonga had a book, I’ll get into it right away.
Fair point Dog, but there has to be a level of awareness or it doesn’t come off. Black folk call the whites Murungu or Muzungu which on the face of it is innocuous, but it’s often said in a slightly derogatory way.
I recently read “so You want to be a batsman,” focuses a lot on Sangakkara, very good!