Nobody is talking about women cricket

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Nobody is talking about women cricket

Post by Googly »

I see our netball team made the WC or something similar. People were jumping all over kirsty Coventry to assist and her ministry seemed to help to some degree. They were particularly after mouthwash and women’s sanitary ware.
Don’t ask, because I don’t know the answer :lol: :lol:

Googly

Post by Googly »

She has been a lame duck, she’d may as well go big or go home, but she’s limping along trying to make as few waves as possible. Ministers are powerful here and she could rock the boat for a lot of people. A ministerial post will look good on her resumé when she eventually plays her hand for the Presidency of the IOC. That’s my bet.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Ladies picked up a massive win today. I'm going to take it that Mozambique are not going to be the ladies biggest test, but such a big win should build some confidence and hopefully they can carry on in this vain.

kudet
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by kudet »

https://www.sundaymail.co.zw/chevrons-mothers-day-gift

THE Zimbabwe cricket women’s team will not only be playing for a berth at the World T20 Qualifier, but also for all Zimbabwean mothers.

The Africa World T20 Qualifier starts today and the tournament’s final, slated for May 12, coincides with Mother’s Day.

And as such the Lady Chevrons have decided to dedicate the tournament to mothers everywhere in the country. Action starts today with Zimbabwe taking on Mozambique at Old Hararians. Zimbabwe is determined to be there on May 12 when two finalists battle it out for the solo ticket to Scotland, who will host the World T20 Qualifier in September. “A great (Mother’s Day) present would be for us to be in the final and win it for all the women in Zimbabwe.

“We want to represent Africa and make all the women happy on the day,” said Zimbabwe skipper Mary-Anne Musonda.

Zimbabwe’s head coach Adam “Skies” Chifo also spoke on the significance of playing for Zimbabwean mothers.

“Women’s cricket is on the rise…it can’t get any better than winning the final on Mother’s Day. We want to represent and win it for all the Zimbabwean women out there,” he said. Confidence is palpable amongst the Zimbabwe side and Chifo attributes that to sound preparations.

“Clarity has brought some form of accountability and I’m sure that’s why you have seen quite a significant change in the team,” he said.

“It’s a very important tournament, as it’s our pathway to the global qualifiers and ultimately to the World Cup,” he said.

Chifo added, “We have been preparing for quite some time now, during which we toured Namibia, we had a productive camp and two weeks ago we went to Uganda. We have been playing against academies and age group boys teams.

“Winning four out of four (in a Tri-series in Uganda recently) was a very big boost in terms of confidence, self-belief and team bonding,” said Chifo.

Chifo revealed that at some point his team was diffident.

“They were instances were some people didn’t believe in us, self-belief was low but winning got us into the right frame of mind. We have re-established our vision, our goals and basically how we go about our business. We have also clarified roles on individual players so everybody is clear of what is expected of them if they are selected in the team,” he said. Zimbabwe batsmen Vusimusi Sibanda and national team analyst Stanley Chioza have been seen in the women’s team camp.

“Zimbabwe Cricket have tried to assist us in every way possible and one of their moves was bringing in Vusi as a batting consultant.

“Also we got Stanley Chioza, who is reputable analyst and lent us his expertise.

“Results speak for themselves,” explained Chifo.

Zimbabwe is in group A where after today’s opener they will play Tanzania at Takashinga Cricket Club on May 6, and then Rwanda at OH on May 9.

The concludes their group matches with a clash against Nigeria on May 11 at OH.

The other group features Namibia, Uganda, Kenya and Sierra Leone. The two group winners will play in the final, which determines who qualifies to the global WT20 qualifiers.

kngow

Post by kngow »

They've smashed Tanzania aside as well. They've got Rwanda and Nigeria left, which should be a walkover. That would put us in the Qualifiers for the next WT20! The ladies are in top form and if we get into the WT20(which we should), maybe, just maybe, things will start to look better.

After the Qualifiers, we've got 3 T20Is against Ireland away(?) and a whitewash would help a lot!

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

The always smash their way through the Africa qualifying group - the standard of competition is dire.

Next qualifying stage, when they're playing teams that can play, usually sees them on the receiving end of multiple drubbings. Would be nice to see this round break from tradition, but not holding my breath...

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

maehara wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 8:49 am
The always smash their way through the Africa qualifying group - the standard of competition is dire.
I'm not completely sure but I think the tournament has expanded, at least I don't recall seeing Mozambique or Sierra Leone there before, who both look out of their depth.

kngow

Post by kngow »

Today's game is vs Nigeria Women, which we should win. Pool B leaders are Namibia Women, with 3 wins out of 3, same as us. Final should be between Zimbabwe Women and Namibia Women, as they're crushing their respective groups.

The Women team needs a lot more exposure to be competitive outside of Africa. Would it hurt a big team like India, England or even a team like NZ or Sri Lanka to send a group down to Zimbabwe and get us some much needed experience? They could also test out young players against us.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Nigeria rolled for 35. Ten wicket win.

kudet
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by kudet »

https://www.thestandard.co.zw/2019/05/1 ... rons-star/

From backyard cricket to Lady Chevrons star
May 12, 2019 in Sport

BY MUNYARADZI MADZOKERE

ZIMBABWE national women’s cricket team star Sharne Mayers has been in brilliant form with the bat at the ongoing International Cricket Council (ICC) Women T20 World Cup Africa Qualifier.

The 26-year-old cricketer has already recorded two half-centuries as the team seeks to progress to the next stage of qualification for the global event in T20 cricket.

Mayers, who has also represented Zimbabwe in hockey, scored 62 runs in the first Group A match against Mozambique before another exciting 65 when the team played Tanzania.

The Bulawayo-born star failed to reach a half-century for the first time in the competition when she fell for 40 in Zimbabwe’s 82-run victory over Rwanda on Thursday, which sealed qualification to the final against Namibia at Harare Sports Club this afternoon.

Simply put, Mayers is currently enjoying her game in national team colours and she attributes her purple patch to hard work as well as the input of her coaches.

“I have worked hard for this and I also got a lot of feedback from my coaches on how to go about my innings. It feels good performing for my team and I hope to continue doing more,” Mayers told The Sports Hub in an interview on Friday.

Mayers, who captained Zimbabwe at the 2017 ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup Global Qualifier, where the team failed to qualify for the global showpiece, said she was determined to ensure that her dream of rubbing shoulders with the best players at the World Cup becomes a reality.

“Playing in a World Cup is the ultimate goal. It is something that I really want to achieve before I retire from the game.

“As a team, we are currently so motivated and focused on achieving our goals. We all know what we want and it fits with the team goals, so I have no doubt we will go all the way, especially if we continue on our current path,” she said.

Playing at a World Cup would be the fulfilment of what has been a lifelong goal for Mayers, who, like most Zimbabwean cricketers, got her early introduction to the sport by playing the game with her friends and siblings at the backyard of their Morningside home in Bulawayo.

“Cricket is a game we played in the backyard of our home in Bulawayo. And once I was able to play at school with the boys, it motivated me even more knowing that I had the support from my family and my school,” Mayers said.

“I come from a sporting family. My father played provincial squash, my brothers played hockey at as well as provincial cricket. Many of my cousins were involved in various sports at provincial and national level.”

Mayers, who attended Masiyephambili Junior School before moving to Petra for primary and high school, went on to make her debut for the national women’s cricket team in 2006 at the age of 14.

“I started playing backyard cricket at about 6 before I started playing at school when I was about 10 and I made my debut for the national team in one-day international matches at 14,” she said.

Apart from the senior national team, Mayers has also represented the Zimbabwe U19s while locally, she has played for Tuskers women, Queens Sports Club and is currently with Bulawayo Athletic Club.

She also had a stint abroad with Old Boys Collegians Cricket Club in New Zealand.

Interestingly, Mayers has another talent in hockey having represented the country in the sport in which she is also a qualified umpire.

“I am involved in other sports such as hockey and it’s where I am likely to be found when I am not playing cricket. I have actually played for the Zimbabwe hockey team in the past,” she said.

In hockey she played for the Zimbabwe Schools U18 side, the Zimbabwe women’s side and the Zimbabwe U21 teams.

At the moment she currently umpires in local hockey matches and is graded in international hockey with International Hockey Federation.