All Time XI

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: All Time XI

Post by Googly »

These are all personal preferences of course but I preferred Donald, Akram and Ambrose over Steyn, McGrath and Bond.

Andybligzz
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Andybligzz »

Googly wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 5:21 am
I’d definitely have Kumar ahead of Ponting as a pure batsman and ahead of Gilchrist as a keeper/batsman in test cricket. He was right up there with Sachin and Lara in my view, I wouldn’t have any qualms about picking him ahead of them either, I’ll be shouted down for that comment, but he’s my all time favorite batsman.
As a genuine keeper Kumar played only half his career as a keeper Batsman so he can’t be picked ahead of Gilchrist , gilly was a Amazing gloveman and a even better batsman . He completely changed the view of what a keeper should be and raised the standard for future generations . He was the keeper of his generation and no one came close . Kumar as a batsman was classier and probably better on the eye but failed to deliver a lot when he was down under or facing extremely good attacks , Ponting had a more defiant presence about him and also delivered when the team desperately needed him. Both were freaks and A GRADERS but in my point of view Ponting was better .
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

Googly wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 5:24 am
These are all personal preferences of course but I preferred Donald, Akram and Ambrose over Steyn, McGrath and Bond.
Yeh exactly but we all grew up in different eras so of course it would be different , but Steyn has Donald covered every day ;)
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

But sorry jaybro must have read it wrong was pretty excited to get involved with this haha . My favourite Xi I have seen play live would be :

1.J. Langer
2. C.Gayle
3. K.Sangakarra (wk)
4. Ab devilliers
5. J. Kallis
6. A.Symonds
7. S.Ervine
8. A.Flintoff
9. M.Johnson
10. S.Warne
11.S.Tait

Not the most balanced side but a very very entertaining one :) loved the big wild thing as he had no idea where he was landing it but neither did the Batsman ! Coming at you at 155kmh , f#ck that . I couldn’t find room
For Brendan McCullum who I remember ramping tait twice for 6 at around 153 kmh , crazy shit . Do yourself a favour If you haven’t seen it and YouTube mccullum vs Shaun tait 🤣

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

This is probably a tougher one than the Zim XI, but let's see what I can do. I'm going purely for a test format

1. AB De Villiers
2. Tendulkar
3. Kallis
4. Ponting
5. Flintoff
6. Gilchrist (wk)
7. Sangakarra
8. Warne
9. Akram
10. Steyn
11. Mcgrath

Oh man, this so hard to pick. How do you leave out Waugh, Langer, Murali, Ambrose, Walsh, Donald, Anderson (this was a really tough one, but ended up going Akram)

Googly

Post by Googly »

If you pick Akram, who could bat, then you can find room for Murali.

Hayden
Tendulkar
Lara
Kohli
Kallis
Sangakarra (W)
Sobers
Akram
Ambrose
Warne
Murali

Three seamers, plus Sobers who could bowl whatever was required, the two best spinners and 7 serious batsmen.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Yup you ain’t beating that side. You could swap out Ambrose and Mcgrath/Steyn perhaps. Feeling pretty smug about that pick.

kngow

Post by kngow »

Andybligzz wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:55 pm
kngow wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 5:10 am
jaybro wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:28 am

Fair enough, how old are you? Are you a Zimbo?

I feel bad for any cricket fan that didn’t see the 2005 Ashes series in England, nothing I’ve seen since has even come remotely close to that series for quality of cricket played and quality of the competition, such fine margins played at such a high standard with the highest stakes
I'm 14 and from India.
welcome young man ! think I joined this forum when I was about 15 myself with another ( andybligz) account :lol: , think sloandog was the first guy I spoke to !
Thanks! I've always loved Zimbabwe for showing fighting spirit like no other. Some of that seems to be missing now :roll:

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Googly wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:11 am
If you pick Akram, who could bat, then you can find room for Murali.
The alternative is to swap our Flintoff for Murali as I would have Kallis as the fourth seamer.

On their day, Steyn and Wasim are unplayable, and Mcgrath is the best at line and length that he adds a perfect third choice seamer. Not only would he be economical, but he would pick up wickets too.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

kngow wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 12:44 pm

Thanks! I've always loved Zimbabwe for showing fighting spirit like no other. Some of that seems to be missing now :roll:
Welcome young fella, at 14 years old I'm surprised you've seen much fight from the Zimbabwean side
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement