"Zim players you've seen live" XI

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: "Zim players you've seen live" XI

Post by Googly »

If you include Bland then you’ve forgotten a couple of amazing Rhodesian cricketers, the most obvious one being Proctor. I remember watching him at Police grounds as a kid. The crowds basically came to watch him.

jward
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jward »

Googly wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 4:45 pm
If you include Bland then you’ve forgotten a couple of amazing Rhodesian cricketers, the most obvious one being Proctor. I remember watching him at Police grounds as a kid. The crowds basically came to watch him.
Yes, I did originally say that I didn't include him because he was more a South African than a Rhodesian.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

jward wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 10:36 pm
I have seen all the leading Zimbabwe players of the last 50 years, so here is my list of the greatest. It excludes players like Mike Procter, who was basically a South African playing for us, though totally committed during his time here, and Graeme Hick, who opted for a mediocre Test career in England rather than what would surely have been a far more successful one for Zimbabwe. This is almost an all-time eleven, but I was too late to see Godfrey Lawrence or Joe Partridge in action.

1 - Tony Pithey
2 - Brendan Taylor
3 - Andy Flower
4 - Andy Pycroft
5 - Dave Houghton
6 - Colin Bland
7 - +Tatenda Taibu
8 - Paul Strang
9 - Heath Streak
10 - Peter Rawson
11 - *John Traicos

I have had to do what national selectors have had to do for many years, apart from the brief period when we had Kevin Arnott and Grant Flower, and put in to open batsmen who prefer to be in the middle order. Strange that this country should have produced so few genuine opening batsmen of real quality. And unfortunately I have only four bowlers, but the only solution would be to drop Taibu, which I would hate to do, and give the gloves to Houghton, who was a better keeper than Flower. Then I could pick a third seamer, maybe Duncan Fletcher (who would captain), or Vince Hogg or Henry Olonga at their best. It's a difficult call. Or else drop Taylor and force Flower or Houghton to open. There's no perfect solution if I am to pick the very best in my view.

Very strong batting line-up, and embarrassing to have to put as good a batsman as Rawson at ten. Choosing a captain (unless Fletcher was drafted in) is very difficult. Incredibly, ten out of the eleven all captained the country at one time, the only exception being Paul Strang, who was a good domestic captain. I have eventually settled for Traicos as probably the most tactically astute of them all, although he didn't have the ability to lead from the front and inspire as Rawson did, although Rawson (like Procter and Sobers, for example) was less tactically aware.

I have limited time at the moment, so I hope I haven't forgotten anybody! The one batsman I feel sorry to have left out was Stuart Robertson, who had the potential possibly to have been the greatest of them all. A beautiful stylish left-hander who was often compared with Graeme Pollock, but never fulfilled his true potential, for whatever reason. He simply oozed class, and was also a superb slip fielder. Unfortunately the selectors often called on him to open the innings or keep wicket, and this may also have affected what was a really mediocre career for one of such talent.
Great read John! Was wonderful to go through your Zim XI. Streak, Rawson, Strang and Traicos, what a bowling unit!

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

This is quite a tough thread. I have a feeling I would be changing my mind a few times.

1. Grant Flower
2. Johnson
3. Houghton
4. Andy Flower
5. Ervine
6. Taibu
7. Blignaut
8.Streak
9. Paul Strang
10. Brandes
11. Olonga

Subs: Bryan Strang, Carlisle, Goodwin, Price, Campbell

Tried to restrict myself to only five subs. Was really tossing up whether I would include Friend as he would be the all round option or even Guy Whittall

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Friend was so over rated.

Was Bryan Strang actually even any good?

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

sloandog wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:13 pm

Yeh Travis friend sounded the goods , bowl 90 mph and some late order hitting but it went the opposite , got smashed and barely made runs .
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

sloandog wrote:

Never reached his full potential possibly a fairer review I feel

He got stuffed around a lot too, he was used as a 'non batting No.3' a lot in his career which didn't really suit him, missed his best years due to the Rebel saga as well
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

sloandog wrote:

Like Jaybro says, Friend was screwed around a lot and was affected by the rebel walk out. The other all round option I just thought of would Marillier.

Bryan Strang was one of the few guys who had accuracy and could move a ball. Was a really good natural bowler who made up for lack of pace with his accuracy and ability to move the ball.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Strang got carted when there was no movement, but he had good shape when it was going. He'd be topping the Logan cup charts every year if he was around now.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Jemisi wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:26 pm
Strang got carted when there was no movement, but he had good shape when it was going. He'd be topping the Logan cup charts every year if he was around now.
Jarvis would be above Strang, but have not seen Jarvis live. I feel Strang was mortally underrated.