Murray Goodwin’s son handed western Australian rookie contract

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jward
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Murray Goodwin’s son handed western Australian rookie contract

Post by jward »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:24 pm
Quiet people can easily be dismissed as snobs. I see it all the time. Moreso with bitches but also blokes too.

Hat said I know nothing of Goodwins personality so he could be a cunt and a half. I’m just saying that the human brain misinterprets quiet and shy as snobbery and rudeness often.
To the best of my experience and what I have heard, Murray is generally a regular, popular guy, apart from sometimes going ballistic when he got out. A confident player, but I never knew or heard of him being boastful or arrogant. He was very well appreciated by Zimbabwe Cricket for doing a fine job as a coach during his time with us, unlike Neil Johnson.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

jward wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 11:07 pm
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:24 pm
Quiet people can easily be dismissed as snobs. I see it all the time. Moreso with bitches but also blokes too.

Hat said I know nothing of Goodwins personality so he could be a cunt and a half. I’m just saying that the human brain misinterprets quiet and shy as snobbery and rudeness often.
To the best of my experience and what I have heard, Murray is generally a regular, popular guy, apart from sometimes going ballistic when he got out. A confident player, but I never knew or heard of him being boastful or arrogant. He was very well appreciated by Zimbabwe Cricket for doing a fine job as a coach during his time with us, unlike Neil Johnson.
Murray Just sounds like your average competitive Aussie cricketer.
What did Neil do?
Neil’s cameo year was the cameo of all cameos
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

cricket_22001

Post by cricket_22001 »

John Ward alluded to it with the coaching comment.
I recall reading after the dust had settled after the tour to England in 2000, Johnson seemed to be in it just for the international cricket opportunities, knowing he couldn’t make it in South Africa.. Part of the deal was to do local coaching & development, an area Johnson did little.
Googly, is it Darrell Goodwin you know? I always wondered what happened to his career. He was a regular opener before tests, but just as international status was realised, he wasn’t in the mix. He was certainly young enough to play at the time.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ya I don’t know why he stopped playing, he was decent. He is in the tobacco industry and has done well. There’s another brother as well- Brian. He wasn’t as good as his two brothers, a helluva nice guy, great fun, also in Aussie.

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

Googly wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 5:15 am
Ya I don’t know why he stopped playing, he was decent. He is in the tobacco industry and has done well. There’s another brother as well- Brian. He wasn’t as good as his two brothers, a helluva nice guy, great fun, also in Aussie.
Googly , Are these brothers of Murray ?
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

Googly

Post by Googly »

Yes, very well known family here in days gone by. Their dad was heavily involved in cricket.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I’m not sure of the circumstances but Murray left Zim when he was 12-13 to live in Australia, but I don’t recall the others following him. They may have for a short period, but the other brothers certainly were around in their high school years and early working years, I’m guessing they had an Aussie connection and he went over there and got a cricket scholarship and stayed there.
Daryl was a damned good batsman, I remember some of his innings very well, had a brilliant eye.

Googly

Post by Googly »

For the number of cricketers we have had this country has certainly produced some fantastic players. I’d say 1/50 schoolboys here are a cut above and if you look at other nations you’re probably looking at 1/200 for argument’s sake. Basically per capita we produce more sportsmen than practically every other nation. There was a guy here called Harry Hall who used to do aptitude tests on school kids, he explained to me that kids here used to score way higher than average, which I found interesting. I went to him and I found the results the other day. Basically I’m a gifted underachiever :lol:

jward

Post by jward »

Googly wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 10:21 am
I’m not sure of the circumstances but Murray left Zim when he was 12-13 to live in Australia, but I don’t recall the others following him. They may have for a short period, but the other brothers certainly were around in their high school years and early working years, I’m guessing they had an Aussie connection and he went over there and got a cricket scholarship and stayed there.
Daryl was a damned good batsman, I remember some of his innings very well, had a brilliant eye.
Yes, Darrell and Brian are half-brothers of Murray, and they were adults who decided to stay in Zimbabwe when Murray's parents emigrated to Australia. Darrell gave up cricket young due to business pressures, which involved a lot of travelling. Murray also has a younger brother, Russell, who could have been possibly as good as he, but I don't think he had the same drive and commitment.

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

Googly wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 10:31 am
For the number of cricketers we have had this country has certainly produced some fantastic players. I’d say 1/50 schoolboys here are a cut above and if you look at other nations you’re probably looking at 1/200 for argument’s sake. Basically per capita we produce more sportsmen than practically every other nation. There was a guy here called Harry Hall who used to do aptitude tests on school kids, he explained to me that kids here used to score way higher than average, which I found interesting. I went to him and I found the results the other day. Basically I’m a gifted underachiever :lol:
Very interesting indeed , if we could squeeze out two more gun batsman and another Andy blignaut type player that would be perfect 👌
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!